Exhaustion!

Options
I know it's probably because I'm working out so much more than I was just a few months ago, and I get it, but DAMN I am tired. I mean, like, falling asleep at my desk, at work, tired. I am so exhausted in the mornings, now, that I feel paranoia about my coffee -- is this decaf? What the hell is going on around here? From what I can tell (I think) I'm eating enough, and I go to bed usually around 10 or 10:30, to get up at 6:30. Is this normal for any of you? Are you so bone tired that you can't function properly until about 10 a.m.?

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're only getting 1200 calories most days. You are NOT eating enough.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I DO eat enough and i don't really struggle throughout the day with being tired, but I can pretty much guarantee that i will be passed out on the couch by 930 each night. I get up right around 6 for work each day and workout 6 days a week. I can see how not having as much to eat throughout the day can lead to exhaustion though. Figure out what your BMR and TDEE are. Here are a couple places to do it

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

fuel your body to get through the day!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You are probably not eating enough. I noticed the other day, I felt sluggish and could hardly make it thru my step class. I decided to add some cottage cheese in the afternoon, and wow what a difference that has made with my energy level! Huge huge difference for me!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Most days you aren't eating enough, your protein is generally really low. Coffee isn't breakfast and Nachos or Cheetos and a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese is your biggest reason for a mid afternoon crash.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to check with the TDEE/BMR calculators if you're really eating enough, and if you're not, bumping up your calories can make a really big difference to your energy levels.

If you are eating enough, the problem may be that you're not getting restful sleep. Quality of sleep counts as much as quantity. Google "sleep hygiene" - this can help to improve the quality of sleep.

Also get your blood levels checked for things like iron deficiency, as this can cause tiredness.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I realize I've been a little low the past couple days, but most days I do go over my calories. And my protein is not low -- maybe it was one or two days, sure, but usually it's not. I can add some healthy snacks to my lunch, I guess, for the afternoon, but I'm just not hungry enough throughout the day, usually.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You would be surprised how increasing your calorie intake by just a few hundred calories per day will improve your energy. I was exhausted at first as well, falling asleep for hours in the middle of the day at home and still sleeping 7-8 hours at night. I increased my calories and the exhaustion went away. And the weight still continues to fall.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    You would be surprised how increasing your calorie intake by just a few hundred calories per day will improve your energy. I was exhausted at first as well, falling asleep for hours in the middle of the day at home and still sleeping 7-8 hours at night. I increased my calories and the exhaustion went away. And the weight still continues to fall.

Okay! I can add some things in, I guess. I went up a pound today, much to my frustration, so I'll give it a try. Do you think something like a Detour bar in the afternoon, or before or after dinner would work out? I'm not ACTUALLY falling asleep at my desk, but I am really, really tired until about 9:30 or 10 a.m. I used to wake up and be fine, but now I'm dragging in the morning.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    Oh -- and there's no way I have an iron deficiency. No history of anything like that in anyone in my family, and besides, I don't bleed. Not that anyone needed to know that...
  • Showmm
    Options
    I don't think it's iron. I think it's you've started a calorie controlled diet and possibly upped your exercise and you basically aren't eating enough to keep you alert. Having mosied through your food diary, it doesn't look like you eat your exercise calories back all the time, more like half the time. That will also be an issue. Your body is rebelling against these harsh limits you are putting on it and rewarding you with tiredness because you aren't feeding it enough.

I don't know Detour bars (in the UK) so can't really say if that'll help. I only speak from personal experience, but my exhaustion more or less disappeared when I went up 250 calories per day.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    I don't think it's iron. I think it's you've started a calorie controlled diet and possibly upped your exercise and you basically aren't eating enough to keep you alert. Having mosied through your food diary, it doesn't look like you eat your exercise calories back all the time, more like half the time. That will also be an issue. Your body is rebelling against these harsh limits you are putting on it and rewarding you with tiredness because you aren't feeding it enough.

I don't know Detour bars (in the UK) so can't really say if that'll help. I only speak from personal experience, but my exhaustion more or less disappeared when I went up 250 calories per day.

Thank you! I set my new limit to 1400, so we'll see where that takes me. I think I'm just scared to go over my limit that I end up, I don't know, holding on to extra calories. My cheat meal is Saturday, so I like to have a little extra for that.
  • LilyandO
    Options
    Im feeling a bit like this this week. I never eat my exercise calories and exercise everyday. I have about 700-1100 (nett after deducting exercise) everyday. Im beginning to think that perhaps its too little at time. Im not hungry but Im super exhausted, snappy and getting irritated easily. I also ate the same calories during ToM and few days after, my body started to rebel and is showing signs of tiredness.

Im too scared to eat more because my body might hold onto it and not shed the weight. Its a bit strange but I lose 2 weeks straight..then nothing for 2 weeks. Might just be my body trying to cope with the lost weight in the 2 weeks after.

Im going to try and eat a bit more carbs and perhaps have a cupcake or 2 this week to see if it helps :)

Thanks for your suggestions, I wasnt sure what was going on. I have a holiday coming up and dont want to be sick before or during!
  • Showmm
    Options
    Your body is more likely to hold on to the weight if you DON'T increase calories because it thinks you are starving it. Listen to your body, it's not saying, " mmm, I really fancy more curly fries because they taste good". No, it's saying, "I'm being worked hard and I need more fuel to work at a high level".
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi ive read what everyone has said and it all sounds good to me and id give it a go but for me some times this happens - i cannot get out of bed to do school run, get to work and im sleepy still then ill nap after dinner while watching some tv with kids before they go bed so when this happens i give my body a day or two break from exercise and up my water intake then when i come back to it my fresh my body has recovered and rested and ive got loads of energy.