Pregnant due in 3 days

Options
I have gained a whopping 45 pounds during my pregnancy. I plan to breastfeed exclusively and hopefully eat a sensible diet and drink lots of water. I want to start logging my intake of food tomorrow to kind of get a head start. Some ppl claim that breastfeeding suppose to help with the weight loss. I hope that's true. Also, I've heard that some lose a lot during labor. Well, fingers cross, lots of prayer and support from you guys in losing all of this weight.

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of breastfeeding women lose weight over the following 6-9 months. At least after a year, they are usually close to their old weight.

Good Luck and wishing you a safe delivery!!
  • GNeiswender
    GNeiswender Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your soon to be bundle of joy.

Yes, breastfeeding does help with weight loss - remember you will be feeding two. What got me is once I was finished breastfeeding I continued to eat more than I needed.

Best of luck to you :-)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you & yours :drinker:
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    hi, i have a 7 month old and ive lost 60 pounds along with breastfeeding exclusively and diet and exercise. it definitely helps a bunch. good luck with everything!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Well, you will lose about eight pounds of baby plus a few pounds of placenta.

You won't eat while you are in labor, so you need to eat now.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have a 15 month old, still breastfeeding. I think it helped me a lot. =)

You can do this! Enjoy your little one and take it easy on yourself. You've earned it.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I dropped 20 lbs within a week after delivery. The next 10 came off the week after that. Still working on the last 10 lbs but my diet is not as awesome as it was the first 3 weeks after birth. You can tell I've been naughty with food when my poor EBF baby has an acne breakout the next day lol

ETA: even though I haven't been eating as healthy as I should, I've felt like I've been losing inches. My first pair of maternity pants went buh bye pretty quick, and another pair I hated cuz they were too snug are falling off me and driving me bananas. Might need to get real jeans soon :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i lost about 30 lbs in 6 months while breastfeeding my youngest. i think i lost about 15 just giving birth, between the baby and all the other "stuff" lol
    my problem was i didnt stick with the eating plan i had while nursing, so i gained most of it all back over the years.
  • XoCountryGirl
    XoCountryGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! Regarding b/f'ing I stopped loosing weight when I stopped b/f'ing wish I could have continued! Everyone is different through some don't lose weight until they are done b/f. Good luck and don't focus on losing the weight just yet you're going to be starving feeding you and the baby. Enjoy this time. :smile: :wink:
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Congrat's to you.. Don't stess about it, you lose 10lbs in the 1st few days, it will take awhile to come off, I gained 60lbs with 2nd baby , and I got the weight ,off eating clean , exercise, , breastfeeding for a few months..
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    I only gained about 15-20 during my pregnancy and after I had my daughter (2 months early) I lost every pound within the first two weeks..pretty crazy, but made me happy. I was also pumping/breast feeding as much as possible. It does tend to help you lose the weight quicker, but also burns a crazy amount of calories so you have to make sure you're still eating enough to keep up with the milk supply for your little one. Good luck with everything!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I gained 28 pounds with my first baby and lost 20 of it before I left the hospital. I breastfed for 8 months and was thinner at the end than before I got pregnant. Another perk (for me anyway) I didn't get my period the entire time I breastfed.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I only gained about 15-20 during my pregnancy and after I had my daughter (2 months early) I lost every pound within the first two weeks..pretty crazy, but made me happy. I was also pumping/breast feeding as much as possible. It does tend to help you lose the weight quicker, but also burns a crazy amount of calories so you have to make sure you're still eating enough to keep up with the milk supply for your little one. Good luck with everything!!! :flowerforyou:

I had 4 children and breastfed each one. I only gained 22~30 lb and lost all my weight between 2~6 weeks post partum.{ I am 25 lb heavier today than I was when I lost the baby weight.}

May you have a beautiful healthy child and God bless!:drinker:
  • amandadegraf
    amandadegraf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both my babies for a year. At the end of that year I was below my pre-pregnancy weight both times. You will be eating more to keep up with the production and that can be a hard habit to break even when your body doesn't need the extra calories any more. One thing I loved about breastfeeding is that it taught me to LOVE water. I craved it all the time and I still drink tons of water. Even if you aren't a big water drinker now, you will be. Good luck with your new baby!
  • Gsonia11
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice. I forgot to mention that I am having a water birth. Maybe I am crazy, but for some reason I am looking forward to it.
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to breastfeed with my son, but I pumped for 2 weeks and dropped pretty much all of my pregnancy weight in that time. I think the day of my c-section I was like 178 I think. I can't remember the exact number but it was in the 170's. You do lose some after birth since you are having a 6+ pound baby. My son was 2 weeks early and was 8 lbs 8oz. lol Your stomach feels super weird so don't freak out either about that. It takes about a week for your stomach (usually) to start to shrink back. Unless you are one of those "freaks of nature' like a cousin of mine who had her daughter and the same day it was like she never was pregnant. Known a few people like that.

Just remember that when you are breastfeeding you DO need to eat well and it probably will be more because you are producing milk for your infant. I have seen a lot of women stop breastfeeding due to supply drop and it usually seems to be related to not eating well. Just an observation of what I have seen from over a year of pregnancy boards and such.

Congrats too! Being a mom is amazing and it totally changed me for the better! :)
  • shannonlee28
    Options
    I am 29 weeks pregnant and have already gained 33lbs so I am afraid I will be close to 50lbs at time of delivery. I have kept logging and walking on the treadmill as much as possible. Good luck with delivery and the weightloss. Hopefully you'll lost about 15-20lbs just after the delivery!
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    When I left the hospital I weighed less than I did when I got pregnant. I know that doesn't happen with too many people, but I threw up threw both pregnancies. With exclusive breastfeeding I lost quite a bit more weight very quickly. Do make sure that you get plenty of protein and fluids, as skimping on both can make your supply decrease.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest that you find out when and where your local La Leche League group meets. The hospital should know, as they generally work with and encourage La Leche League groups. As a LLL leader, I was trained rigorously on helping women with breastfeeding issues and they are great sources of information. I also encourage nursing moms to get a copy of a book called Medications and Mothers Milk. It's a great resource and may help you and your doctor to find appropriate medications if you get sick. Doctors really don't get much education on the subject of breastfeeding, so it's a good tool. I took my copy to every doctor's appointment I went to.

Congratulations and good luck.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I had a water birth with my second one ( I have 7 children.). I hope you have a lovely birth. Don't stress out about the baby weight right away. Take your time eat sensibly. Make sure you eat enough calories for nursing to keep up supply. Best wishes! Let me know if I can help in anyway. :)

ETA - I gained 80 pounds with my first and usually gain close to 50 with the others. I have nursed all my babies and between that and eating reasonably and exercising I weigh less than when I got married. You can do it.
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I breast fed both of my boys and while I think it did help me lose weight over the 7-9 months I did it, my weight loss stalled the last few months of breastfeeding. After I quit, I lost 5-8 pounds in the next two weeks. Maybe some kind of water retention to make milk? I don't know . . . but my experience was don't get discouraged if it doesn't all come off magically. You created another human life and it took 9 months. Give yourself time to get it off and enjoy the baby.