When you work out at home...

Options
do you wear shoes? I read things that say you should wear good shoes when working out but I don't normally wear shoes in the house and don't think about it when work out.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have lifted barefoot, but I normally wear shoes. I run on the treadmill and do HIIT videos and other intense cardio. I do many of my (mostly floor based) ab workouts, Pilates and yoga barefoot, though.
  • rockingmom25
    Options
    I NEVER wear shoes when I work out at home! I don't like shoes ;)
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I do my Jillian Michaels workouts barefoot... when I wear shoes for that, I feel like the muscles in the bottom of my feet are straining. I wear flip flops on the elliptical, and I wear sneakers when I'm on the treadmill!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels and Tae Bo at home, both without shoes. If I had a treadmill, I'd probably wear my running shoes, though. But I go barefoot as much as possible, and have done most workouts at home that way for over a decade. My arches, etc, are just fine.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Barefoot.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    if its a body weight workout (pushups, pullups, situps, etc) then shoes are optional.
    If there's any equipment involved, I wear shoes.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I wear shoes when I lift weights, but not when I do HIIT, plyo, or when I run.
  • babyshroom
    babyshroom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I tried doing Zumba in my livingroom barefoot (no carpets) and it gave me blisters on my big toes so I switched to sneakers (though I'm sure the people that live below me don't appreciate it, haha).
  • RachelDenise30
    RachelDenise30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to read these posts cause I workout barefoot too. It seems I can feel the movements more and go for longer. Sometimes if I wear shoes I get that pins and needles feeling, even if they aren't tied tight.
  • DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Barefoot or socks depending on my mood and how cold the apartment is.
  • PrettyandPolished
    PrettyandPolished Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually use an elliptical at home so I'm usually in shoes. But if I'm working out on my yoga mat, balance ball, or lifting weights I'm either barefoot or wearing flip flops. I have a fear of being barefoot for the most part. Maybe I've just had too many bad experiences stepping on tiny legos haha.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I use my vibrams when I am using resistance bands - they hurt bare feet!
  • chickpeas1
    chickpeas1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wear my running trainers now. I used to workout on the elliptical and 30DS barefoot in my living room. But then I tore a tendon in my foot doing the last set of jumping jacks, which put me out of action for 4 weeks. And barefoot on the elliptical gave me shin splints!
    Shame because I love going barefoot around my home :(
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Barefoot all the way. I rareley wear shoes anymore, and when I do....I wear minimalist shoes. Merrell Barefoot. I even wear them at work. I started working out barefoot last year (p90x at the time) and after a month or so, my feet never felt better. A bad case of plantar fasciitis completely disappeared. I did wear cross trainers for the plyo workout, but next time around I'll go barefoot for that too. Eventually all of those little muscles in your feet become stronger and more flexible.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    do you wear shoes? I read things that say you should wear good shoes when working out but I don't normally wear shoes in the house and don't think about it when work out.

What are your thoughts?

I work out barefoot at home....no reason not to
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes when working out at home, even when lifting weights
  • vamari22
    vamari22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work out barefoot at home, even the Step, although I wouldn't recommend doing the Step barefoot, since sneakers provide arch and ankle support. I don't wear sneakers when doing the Step because my feet cramp up if I do, and I have to be super careful with all of my movements. I don't have any exercise equipment in the house, but when I work out on the treadmill or elliptical, I wear sneakers for the ankle support and overall cushion they provide.