Acne from working out

Options
Im not really sure where to put this at so I'll just stick it here.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with breaking out with pimples after they first started working out. I know my body isnt used to all the sweat leaking from me so Im assuming it will just take time for my body to adjust to its new conditions. Has anyone else experienced this problem and how long before their body stopped reacting to this new sweat out?

It's not going to keep me from working out but Ive broken out so badly it looks like a rash and my skin is sore. Bah..its not pretty either..lol.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    it is pretty common. Be sure to wash off soon after a workout and use a scrub-type cloth with dial or ivory soap - something with no additives. If it still is a problem after a month or so, you can try using a 10% benzoyl peroxide wash after the workout.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I don't really get it on my face or anywhere else, but I get it underneath my enormous hooters.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    it is pretty common. Be sure to wash off soon after a workout and use a scrub-type cloth with dial or ivory soap - something with no additives. If it still is a problem after a month or so, you can try using a 10% benzoyl peroxide wash after the workout.

NOT DIAL, use a pure soap, Ivory is good.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Valerie - nice visual =]

Megladgrl - I was thinking dial was pretty plain, but I use Ivory personally.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Try to wipe down after you workout. Using a lotion with beta hydroxy can help clear it up.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    dont use makup before you work out , drink lots of water and wash with warm water after a workout immediatly then after you stop sweating spash with cold water
  • SaucyPeas
    SaucyPeas Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I use Oil of Old Lady for soap :P I'll try some Ivory in a few days if it doesnt get better.

I hadnt been showering right after my work out because I've been doing an intense work out by myself and then an hour or two later going on a bike ride with a friend, so I didnt want to shower 4 times a day but Im going to start showering between.

I rarely wear make up so I dont think that is going to be an issue and I would never wear make up while I was working out. (that just seems silly)
  • michaelsgirl1210
    michaelsgirl1210 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for the first month. Your hormones start going crazy when you begin to burn up fat reserves. I bought the starter pack of the Equate version of ProActive at Wal-Mart, and it cleared it right up, along with drinking a TON of water. The phase will pass though when your body adjusts, so don't back off the exercise!
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I use Oil of Old Lady for soap :P I'll try some Ivory in a few days if it doesnt get better.

I hadnt been showering right after my work out because I've been doing an intense work out by myself and then an hour or two later going on a bike ride with a friend, so I didnt want to shower 4 times a day but Im going to start showering between.

I rarely wear make up so I dont think that is going to be an issue and I would never wear make up while I was working out. (that just seems silly)

I always struggle with acne AND on top of it I get allergic reactions (weird pimples, similar to the acne pimples) when I sweat too much.

Wash your face RIGHT AFTER you work out, with those soaps that are indicated for oily faces, I prefer the liquid ones, I use one called Cetaphil -> http://productjunkiesrehab.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/cetaphil.jpg like that, but it says for oily/greasy face. if your skin is dry and you get acne just because you work out, the sensitive one will do. You don't need to add an extra shower for that.
  • joscy_18
    Options
    OMG this is happening to me too, it's crazy i have had pimples once in a while but i noticed after i started my work out program it got worse all over my face and neck small pimples that get infected, i read it could be hormonal, i dont't want to give up my training but my face looks terrible lots of scars, i've been using benzyl peroxide wash face, and gel, but it doesn't seem to help. does any body know if this is just temporary and it will eventually stop, or do i need to see a dermatologist?
  • joscy_18
    Options
    i'm praying for that, i hope it's just temporary, until my body get used to it, my acne it's terrible :( i have always used benzoyl peroxide for my small pimples and it helped me a lot but now that my acne got worse it's not helping,
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too. Shower right after and use a new towel per workout and make sure to wash workout towels with antiseptic soap. That did the trick for me.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I was going to suggest washing your face before working out. That's what I do. And then I splash water on after or wash again. But it should get better as your body gets used to working out. If not, use a gentle soap and a mild acne treatment. And eat well! My diet is the key for me.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

My mom bought me witch hazel as a face cleanser when I was a kid. If I cannot shower right away I put some of the cotton pads soaked with witch hazel in a zip top bag and wipes off my face, neck, and as much of my back as I can reach...I will use three pads..start with face etc...then I use one for upper body...you know back, underarms and under others..and then one more. It isn't a shower but it is enough of a freshen up. when I skip this step my acne sucks
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Oil of Old Lady is probably the worst thing for acne. Well, I haven't really used it, but have you ever noticed that most cleansers are either for wrinkles or for acne, but never really for both?

The old lady stuff usually has stuff in it to make cells regenerate quickly... but for those of us with acne, that's a huge problem, because the dead skin sticks around and clogs everything up.

I agree that a soap with as few chemicals in it as possible is good to use, because it shouldn't dry you out, but it shouldn't leave some weird science project behind either.

Personally, I use some locally made soap, so it's pretty basic. I had tried a lot of acne products and they just irritated my skin even worse. The soap I use doesn't clear up my skin, but it does keep it from getting worse.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't know how scientifically accurate my statements will be, so take it with a grain of salt.

I do know that our fat cells are when toxins sometimes get stored. The reason you'll test positive for marijauna for weeks after use is
    that the drug is stored in your fat cells.

Maybe when you work out and burn fat, those toxins are released. When the toxins are released they could possibly end up in your sweat and irritate your skin.

Like I said, I don't know how true this is, but maybe if you up your water intake, those toxins may be diluted. It's worth a try.

Also, try using a locally made soap. Make sure it's actually homemade, not melt-and-pour. I make my own soap, and I've noticed a huge improvement in my skin since I started using it.