Raw food - salads

Options
sailady
sailady Posts: 26
Me and my husband are transitioning over to raw foods, being anywhere from 40 - 75% raw depending on the day and are trying a 'SCRAP THE CRAP' month for june.

I'm loving salads at the minute as its slightly warm - winter has lasted months and months this year!
Does anyone have any good salad recipes to share so I don't get bored and go out and eat pork pie or something (thats my craving of the day!)

Replies

• care1221
    care1221 Posts: 27
    Options
    its called a summer salad romaine lettuce 1/2 cup strawberries 1/2 cup mandrain oranges, roasted no salt almonds 10, feta cheese or blue cheese crumbled 1 serving 1/4 cup/ kens lite rasberry vinagerette dressing 2 TBS
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I chop a few veggies I have on hand ( cucumber, onion, tomato, squash, pepper, celery, carrots etc) and mix all together and top with a sprinkle of white wine vinegar, minced garlic and some black pepper. crunchy and tangy.. YUM!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Back in March I took part in a month-long challenge. One of the mini challenges was to eat raw for an entire day...below is the salad that I made. It will last a few days and is so versatile and soooo yummy! Hope you give it a try.

Grilled Sweet Corn Salad w/ Honey Lime Vinaigrette

Salad Ingredients:
    5 ears sweet corn, grilled (I used 1 can Mexican-style corn) but you can also just thaw a bag of frozen corn
    2 green peppers, chopped
    1 red pepper, chopped
    1 yellow pepper, chopped
    2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
    1 bunch green onions, sliced
    ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I used 1 cup)
    2 15oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed

Vinaigrette Ingredients:
    ¾ cup olive oil, plus 2 Tbsp for brushing corn (didn’t need the 2 tbsp since I didn’t grill corn)
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp honey
    1 lime, zested and juiced
    2 cloves garlic (I used 3 cloves)
    ½ tsp cumin
    Salt and pepper, to taste (using sea salt will keep it RAW)

Directions:
    Combine all vegetables and corn with cilantro. Add beans and toss gently.
    In separate bowl, whisk vinegar, olive oil, honey, lime juice and ½ tsp lime zest, and spices.
    Pour over vegetables and coat evenly. (I keep it in a separate jar and add vinaigrette as needed)

Serves 14-16
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I love all veggies so I just always make a big bowl of raw veggies, cometimes even 50/50 with lettuce, LOL. Very little salad dressing makes me happy - just enough to add flavor, or just some balsamic vinegar and/or lemon juice is really good. I've also been using salsa for a "salad dressing" which is fabulous!

I'm a sandwich girl bigtime ... lately I've been making wraps with a little cheese (example: Laughing Cow light swiss) and loads of lettuce and veggies and salsa. It's basically a salad in a wrap and satisfies that sandwich urge!

"Flat-Out" makes a multi-grain wrap with flaxseed that is really good - has 8 grams of fiber and only 100 calories.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I generally think of a salad now as more of a mix of veggies than a pile of lettuce. I had issues with salads a month or so ago and asked for some suggestions on here. What I got out of it and has helped me is adding hearty crunchy veggies. Broccoli and carrots for example. I love peas and nuts. Beans totally help with adding protein and fiber to keep you full. A good vinaigrette (healthy oil like olive, canola) helps too since the fat takes a little longer to digest - sometimes I just go simple with some oil and balsamic vinegar, few fresh cracks of pepper. If you can handle dairy, cheese is a good addition too. I personally need dense hearty stuff or I get hungry 20mins later.

You can get raw cookbooks by the way. I remember years ago (like 10) my bff had gotten one at Borders or something. There were some great options in there. Eating raw doesn't have to be salads. :) There are so many neat things you can make!

Edit: I'm assuming you are trying to be hardcore raw and really avoid cooked items so, be careful if you go for the cheese! Make sure you know where you are getting the cheese from since unpasteurized cheeses can make you sick. So strong emphasis on KNOW THE SOURCE!
  • malmustafa79
    malmustafa79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cardswimmom
    Options
    its called a summer salad romaine lettuce 1/2 cup strawberries 1/2 cup mandrain oranges, roasted no salt almonds 10, feta cheese or blue cheese crumbled 1 serving 1/4 cup/ kens lite rasberry vinagerette dressing 2 TBS

My variation on this is spinach leaves, sliced raw almonds, sliced strawberries, reduced sugar poppyseed dressing. I am going to try yours though too - love the madarin orange/blue cheese combo!!
  • donsch
    donsch Posts: 40
    Options
    there is a broccoli/califlower sald out there that is great. personally, I leave off the bacon. I made a variation of this most of the winter. Broccoli cut up, onion ( i like the red and it makes the salad pretty, you can add roasted sunflower seeds, shredded cheese, and egg if you wish, The dressing is usuallly mayo, suage & vinegar. I would use poppy seed dressing or miracle whip light.
    I really like this salad since it has so many options to make it different! I think this is ramblings, but I hope it helps. Make what tastes good to you!