Knee pain when jogging

Options
I started gentle jogging 6 months ago and am now running 5 miles twice a week at approximately 5mph which I really enjoy. Unfortunately, I have started experiencing quite significant knee pain towards the end of my run which lasts up to 72 hours. This is even if I wear knee supports and cushioned Nike running shoes. I really don't want to give this up as it is an exercise that I actually enjoy but am meant to be running my first 10k next week and am starting to panic. Do you have any suggestions or tips?

Thank you for your time,

Flowerbud123:sad:

Replies

• dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    wonderful job - out there running. BUT - it will take its toll. I used to run all the time, but had a total knee replacement in oct. So - after you run, make sure you stretch and cool down. Also, RICE: Relax, Ice, Compress and Elevate for knee/join pain. You might want to visit your orthopedic guy and talk to him, he can check it out and make sure there is no damage that you are exasperating by continueing to run. If you can't run, switch to eliptical machines, no banging on the joints that way. Good luck
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Knee pain is definitely not something to ignore. If it is 'significant', you really need to get it checked out to make sure you won't be doing damage to yourself by running. If you ignore it and keep running on it, you could end up needing surgery. In the meantime, if you still want to get some cardio in, switch to something non-impact, like the elliptical... you will still get a pretty good calorie burn, but will have very little impact on your knee.
  • safiresp04
    safiresp04 Posts: 29
    Options
    You may need to alter your gait or switch up your equipment (shoes, socks, etc.) or do some exercises to strengthen weak muscles in your legs. I recommend seeing a doctor and/or a physical therapist to make sure there isn't something bigger wrong. I had knee pain and it turned out to be that certain muscles were stronger than others and so I had to incorporate some additional/alternative exercises into my lifting to make sure I'm ok when I run.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I've heard that pain while running isn't normal. If you're a little achey after, it's ok but pain while running is a bad sign. I personally can't do the Elliptical because it hurts my knee in a way running never did. I think you should probably see your doctor and stop running until you do.
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Like those above had said, get it checked out, I've had surgery on one knee, and I go today to see my orthopedic doctor, because the other one is messed up, it's all I can do to walk.
    Good luck!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I had the cartilage removed from my right knee a few years ago and although I could initially run 10k or more a night I no longer can because my knee gets very painful.

I have resorted to using the Elliptical trainer for 3/4 of the session and switch to the treadmill for the last 1/4. Doing this at least allows me some time doing what I love the most.

The elliptical is an amazing machine for anyone who has knee problems because it is so low impact.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I had the cartilage removed from my right knee a few years ago and although I could initially run 10k or more a night I no longer can because my knee gets very painful.

I have resorted to using the Elliptical trainer for 3/4 of the session and switch to the treadmill for the last 1/4. Doing this at least allows me some time doing what I love the most.

The elliptical is an amazing machine for anyone who has knee problems because it is so low impact.

I guess I'm weird because the elliptical actually causes knee pain for me. Probably because my legs are a little bit crooked and the machine keeps my feet straight which draws my knees in. I am disappointed that I can't use one because I heard it's better than the treadmill but I can actually walk on a treadmill without pain.
  • dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    "Runner's knee" is pretty common with people that have underdeveoloped quads. If you still have significant pain, I would certainly recommend getting it checked out. However, you may also have to do a lot of strengthening of your legs so they can endure runs of that distance. Also make sure you have quality shoes with good cushion and stability. Not stretching properly, strengthening the legs, or having quality shoes can really do damage to legs and knees. Good luck!
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    I have a hard time with the ellipticals also - isometric exercises help. I had to do those until I went through knee surgery. Still can't do the treadmill, which really does pound your knees - but can do the elliptical machines. I would definately go see a doc. though - good luck to you
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My doc just yesterday told me that taking Aleve actually helps the swelling. Even though Tylenol helps with the pain, it doesn't do as much with the core issue/pain. It just masks it.

Good luck!
  • Tillymintball
    Options
    Thank you for so much specific advice. I have been to hospital with this but was told there was no serious problem. Unfortunately, I run instead of going to a gym as that is not practical where I live ( I do swim weekly though). I'll concentrate on strengthening exercises and keep my fingers crossed I think!