I'm broke and hungry!

Options
So, as of right now I have no income whatsoever but I'm still trying to maintain my diet. But it's so incredibly hard. The only thing I have to eat is boxes of pasta with some spaghetti sauce and two boxes of generic Hamburger Helper (which I've been avoiding since I feel like it'll ruin my whole diet). I have a few whole grain tortillas and some canned pinto beans and lettuce which I just ate one burrito of. But I'm still so hungry! I've been sticking to eating exactly a serving size of everything I eat which makes this even harder. If I even decided out of desperation to eat the Hamburger Helper (don't even have milk anyway) it's half a cup a serving. I'm sorry but that's so ridiculous. That's like 4 forkfuls and I'm done. I dunno what to do.

Replies

• hmahjoub96
    Options
    have you looked into couponing? i always see people buy things for "free"
  • kirschenregen
    Options

I have thought about it and would really like to. I looked at several grocery store's coupons online awhile back but didn't actually do it. I'm a horrible coupon shopper. I look at them and don't really know where to start. I wish I had someone who was into it that could sit down with me and show me how to do it properly.

Also, I have horrible social anxiety disorder so I already get paranoid in the grocery store and start thinking people are judging me. I can't even imagine whipping out 30 coupons in front of people. I really need to get over that. -_-
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I would go get food stamps if I were you and use them wisely.. If you have nothing.. even if they give you next to nothing, it'll be something and if you watch the sales and clip coupons you'll stretch them..
  • wo1wendy
    wo1wendy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does your town have a food cupboard or a FOODSHARE kind of service. The one in my town distribut food twice a month and it is usually a good amount and pretty healthy. Mine is run by some churches but you could check with the community/senior center or maybe your town website (if you have one). If this embarrasses you remember you are not the only one needing it. I think you would be surprised how many people utilize this. You might even offer to volunteer at it which in turn helps you get to know people who may have a job for you in the future. Hope your town or somewhere nearby has something for you
  • rensife
    rensife Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Follow the couponing blogs - they do all of the work for you! They direct you to what store and where to get the coupons. See if your local dollar stores sell the sunday paper for $1, and ask friends or family for leftover coupon flyers, or print the coupons online. Also, look for food pantry in your area - sometimes you can eat organic for free!
  • wo1wendy
    Options

Also, I have horrible social anxiety disorder so I already get paranoid in the grocery store and start thinking people are judging me. I can't even imagine whipping out 30 coupons in front of people. I really need to get over that. -_-
  • hmahjoub96
    Options

I have thought about it and would really like to. I looked at several grocery store's coupons online awhile back but didn't actually do it. I'm a horrible coupon shopper. I look at them and don't really know where to start. I wish I had someone who was into it that could sit down with me and show me how to do it properly.

there are plenty of youtube videos on couponing!
  • wo1wendy
    Options
    if you do have something like I mentioned dont feel anxious or judged. I volunteer there and the first thing you realize is everyone is in the same position noone is better or worse than someone else.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    So, as of right now I have no income whatsoever but I'm still trying to maintain my diet. But it's so incredibly hard. The only thing I have to eat is boxes of pasta with some spaghetti sauce and two boxes of generic Hamburger Helper (which I've been avoiding since I feel like it'll ruin my whole diet). I have a few whole grain tortillas and some canned pinto beans and lettuce which I just ate one burrito of. But I'm still so hungry! I've been sticking to eating exactly a serving size of everything I eat which makes this even harder. If I even decided out of desperation to eat the Hamburger Helper (don't even have milk anyway) it's half a cup a serving. I'm sorry but that's so ridiculous. That's like 4 forkfuls and I'm done. I dunno what to do.

If that's really all you have, then you have to make do. If thats all you are eating then you have to eat more than a serving to get your calories in. Remember that eating too few calories will also stall your weight loss. I had spaghetti with sauce and garlic bread for supper last night. I got to have two servings of spahetti and two pieces of garlic bread to finish out my calories for the day. I think the bean and lettuce burrito sounded like a good idea. Is there a food kitchen or pantry in your area where you can get some food?
  • dylan_d69
    Options
    try to hit a local food pantry and you can also call the saint vincen de paul in ur area they will help you with food and deliver it to you just tell them what you can eat and they will do the best they can same with any pantry and even if you can get just enough milk to make the helper you can use the serving size with the lettuce on the tortilla and it will help fill you up a bit then drink a lot of water before and after see if that will help
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Getting quick fixie jobs like washing cars or walking other people's dogs? Bit of exercise, bit of pocket money...
  • kirschenregen
    Options
    I actually just went to a food panty a few days ago but they didn't have all that much. At least not very healthy things. That's where I got the beans and the Hamburger Helper. Other than that I just got some canned veggies and fruit.

And I applied for food stamps but I have yet to hear back from them which is getting really frustrating.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Eat what you have and if that doesn't cut it seek the local pantry as others suggested. Today I dug out oats and dried beans because we were out of so much stuff.

ETA: just saw above post. Lol

Okay well I'm sure while not the healthiest it'll do! We're talking survival, right?
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Go to the foodbank and/or the local church for help.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Why do you stick to exactly one serving size instead of just counting the calories?

Edited to add - did you figure out the calories of the hamburger helper without any hamburger? Since you didn't say you had any, I assume there wouldn't be any in it.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The food pantry is a great idea. You can likely find one through City Hall or county government. Also, WIC could point you in that direction. St. Vincent de Paul can be reached through your local Catholic church, and you don't have to be Catholic to get help. In fact, St. Vincent de Paul often helps people out with things like medication, basic mental health care, utilities, and clothing. Their funding comes mostly from their thrift store and donations. Most churches can help you out, or at least point you in the right direction. They'll give you lots of canned and boxed goods. Things like beans and rice. Some of the food pantries can help you out with frozen goods and even some fresh fruit.

I've been where you are now back in my student days. It's a scary place to be, and I also hope you are able to find a new job fairly quickly. Good luck.

Edit: I wouldn't be concentrating on how low-cal, etc., the food is at this time. It's survival time, and you'll just have to do with what you find. I am a Katrina survivor, and I lived on donated food for months before other things became available. Make do until you are able to get a paycheck.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Research if there are any food co-ops in the area. They very often are looking for volunteers and offer a generous food share in return -- a LOT of fresh, often organic produce that would have been very expensive in the store for very little of your time per month.

Also, do not buy pasta as your carb sides. Organic quinoa, brown rice, steel cut oats, lentils... all of those things are far more nutritions and CHEAPER per serving than pastas. I get them from stores grain bins (the kind where you pour it in a plastic cup or bag), and a serving of organic steel cut oats comes to about 8 cents.
  • lessofkimberly
    lessofkimberly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you are in the states, you should dial 211 in most states that is a helpline for people. They can advise you what to do before SNAP kicks in. Try a church or a soup kitchen. If you can get one meal a day you can make the rest stretch. I will pray for you so that you can find work, even if temporary and enough food. These are tough times dont let pride stand in the way. There is help out there.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Eat within your calories and you will still lose weight. It's better than not losing or gaining. Coupondivas.com is a good place to check out the couponing stuff if you are interested.
  • Colleen1980
    Colleen1980 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Try Hip2Save for couponing. She has a great introductory section on couponing, and if you like her page on FB she posts at least a few times day about great sales/chances to get a freebie/etc.

Best of luck!