TDEE question

Options
So im new to loosing weight. I have been eating around 1025 calories a day and burning about 300-400 a day. Well i looked up my TDEE which was 2414 so to find out how many calories i need to eat a day would i do 2415 x 7= 16905-7000=9905/7=about 1414 calories a day. Is 1414 the real number of calories i need to eat to loose 2lbs a week? I am so confused......

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Yes but you could have figured that out much easier by just taking 1,000 off the 2414 instead of all the long math.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Just deduct 20% from your TDEE to find out how much to eat. 1930.. is the answer.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Just deduct 20% from your TDEE to find out how much to eat. 1930.. is the answer.

THIS! make it simple!
  • anwest20
    anwest20 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mokey41- that was a lot easier. If i had stopped for a second i might have thought of that :) why is it so high? Im having trouble just eatting 1200 calories a day. Would it be ok to eat most of the calories for breakfast like in a protein smoothie or something?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    So im new to loosing weight. I have been eating around 1025 calories a day and burning about 300-400 a day. Well i looked up my TDEE which was 2414 so to find out how many calories i need to eat a day would i do 2415 x 7= 16905-7000=9905/7=about 1414 calories a day. Is 1414 the real number of calories i need to eat to loose 2lbs a week? I am so confused......

Your calculations are perfectly accurate, however, in practice, you might find you have less success at such a steep deficit.

To illustrate this, what would you have to eat to lose three and a half pounds a week? The same math says you would need to eat nothing.

Starvation is bad for your body and thus I recommend against it.

The advice to eat TDEE - 20% is good advice - - please heed it and enjoy sustained weight loss without feeling sick, cold, weak, and lethargic.
  • anwest20
    anwest20 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    [quote/]

Your calculations are perfectly accurate, however, in practice, you might find you have less success at such a steep deficit.

To illustrate this, what would you have to eat to lose three and a half pounds a week? The same math says you would need to eat nothing.

Starvation is bad for your body and thus I recommend against it.

The advice to eat TDEE - 20% is good advice - - please heed it and enjoy sustained weight loss without feeling sick, cold, weak, and lethargic.
    [/quote]

I an having a really hard time eating that much food. I was eating less then this before i even started trying to loose weight. I guess i just dont understand how eating that much food is going to help me loose weight.