Should I eat at or below my BMR?

Options
I'm seriously overweight. I'm 17, 5'7, and currently 324 lbs (I've lost about 20 so far.) However, my BMR is around 2300 calories, and I've been consuming around 1300-1400, except on a few cheat days. Is this not healthy? How many should I try to eat to lose 2lbs a week? Lately I've noticed the weight isn't coming off as fast as I'd like.. I haven't noticed much progress.

Replies

• CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I would say that's too low.

I would try to net closer to your BMR, but with a lot of weight to lose you should be fine
    netting below. I would aim for around 1800-2000 and give it about 6-8 weeks to let your
    body get used to it.

Not an expert, just my suggestion.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking your TDEE is at 2300 rather than BMR. Where did you get this # from?

And I agree with clover creeped if you are going to use calorie counting as a tool. I am 5'7" and weigh 148 pounds. I eat about 1900 calories a day and at this rate I will probably lose if I keep it up. I want to maintain my weight. I am also 45 years old. You can still eat more than me and lose. I have not been getting any intense exercise either. You have lost, that's great, now add and always know that as long as you maintain, you are moving ahead. Be patient and take it slow. Friend me if you like. You have so many wonderful opportunities ahead, this is only one small aspect of your life.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking your TDEE is at 2300 rather than BMR. Where did you get this # from?

I ran it through a few calculators. It varies from 2200-2300.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I would recommend starting your intake at no less than your BMR. By definition BMR is the amount of calories you need to sustain basic life functions. I would hesitate to recommend anything other than consultation with a doctor for beneath that.
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    I would definitely try to eat more than that just because of the whole 'loose skin' issue, not to mention the sustainability of making a lifestyle change rather than just ending up on the diet yo-yo. I mean, for me personally. I don't think it's probably specifically unhealthy insofar as you'll die from that level of intake, but that's a whole lot for a body to take on at once. imo, not like I'm an expert. :P
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You might shoot a PM to this guy and ask what he did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/885191-153-lbs-in-365-days-pics
  • Bossladytrainer
    Bossladytrainer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's not a good idea to eal less than you're BMR...
  • nicole__marie
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll try to start eating around 1800 and see if things change. I'm going to see my doctor on Monday anyways so I could get his opinion as well.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The best way to do it is eat above BMR, below TDEE. Honestly though, even through MFP settings, your intake seams a little low. I started at 280 pounds, and was losing 2-3 pounds a week eating between 1900-2200 per day. It also depends on your fitness regimen, as you will probably want to eat more if working out regularly.