Tuna Salad without Mayo

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for making Tuna Salad without Mayo or creamy dressings? Due to stomach issues, I am not able to eat either of them without getting really sick. I have been craving Tuna Salad lately, but I am not sure what a good substitute for the mayo would be. Any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I use brown mustard in my tuna, and plain non-fat Greek yogurt in chicken salad.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people like Greek yogurt but I prefer sour cream. Or you could do a light drizzle of olive oil and squeeze of lemon. Or just the lemon.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Avocado is what i usually sue
    but you can use Italian dressing or oil with your own spices and lots of veggies. I do that too sometimes.
  • dwmaestradeb
    Options
    If it doesn't have to be creamy, you might try mixing in some Italian dressing or some pico de gallo, too. Sounds weird, but tasty :) I second the mustard and lemon suggestions, also yummy.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I make a salad with romaine or green leaf, onion (whatever kind you like), green peppers and cilantro. If you don't like green pepper, use red or yellow or orange...my point being - substitutions are allowed. Then I mince a bit of jalapeno (or add red pepper flakes to the dressing), if you like it hot. Toss this all together. If you like mushrooms, add those. For the dressing I use 3 Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar, 1 packet stevia and 1-2 tsp soy sauce (= zero calories). If I have the calories I add 1-2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds (you can toast them yourself in a frying pan) and sometimes 1tsp - 1Tbsp sesame oil. With this, tuna is wonderful, especially if you use green onions. It is also good with beef, chicken, shrimp and crab. So far, I've only made it with fancy albacore tuna so I will not swear it is good with regular tuna. I like this salad. Give it a try.
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have always loved Tuna & Chicken salads, but couldn't figure out what to substitute the mayo with. These suggestions help
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I just use balsamic glaze in place of dressing most of the time.
  • cbrooks1232
    cbrooks1232 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have used Greek low-fat yogurt cut with a little skim milk to the consistency of mayo for tuna salad. But I don't add pickles to it, because I think that would be too tangy. Tuna, chopped celery and red onion, a tablespoon of chopped parsley and just enough yogurt to hold it together, salt & pepper to taste. In the summer I will also add fresh herbs from the garden instead of the parsley, basil is particularly good.
  • jmom376
    Options
    That sounds very good. Thank you. Sounds very similiar to how I use to make Tuna Salad, but without the Mayo. (I really miss mayo)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I dont eat Tuna but when I make egg salad I use a small bit of mayo with some greek yogurt. Really good!
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have tried a bunch of different things, and all seemed wired at first but turned out pretty good. My favorites were mixing it with salsa and mixing it with plain mustard and relish. I have tried avacado and lime and did not like it at all, but my husband loved it.
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My favorite is with Trader Joes Reduced Guilt Spinach & Kale Dip (made with Greek Yogurt) , but I also like with a big squeeze of lime, a little avocado, and some salsa.
  • jmom376
    Options
    I now use the Balsamic Vinegar Glaze on all of my salads and love it. I am also unable to eat most oils, so the Glaze is perfect. I just wasn't sure how that would taste on the Tuna, I will have to try that too..
  • jmom376
    Options
    Thank you again for all of the suggestions :) I have 3 packs of Tuna so I will try a couple of these suggestions.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I agree with avocado. I never would have tried it until a friend suggested and it definitely works!
  • Alcanta
    Options
    I've tried the balsamic glaze with tuna and it is really jummy.

Tuna (brine) + chopped green and red peppers + sliced tomato + some green leaves, and the balsamic on top. Yum!
  • slacker75
    slacker75 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use Helmann's Dijonnaise and a little sour cream. But after this - I'm going try avocados.
  • jmom376
    Options
    Thank you again for the suggestions.

the avocado sounds very yummy. I think I will make a little homemade quacamole and serve it with the tuna/spinach in a whole wheat pita..
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I like it with hummus, a little mustard, and some hot sauce. I haven't tried the avocado thing yet but it sounds good.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I either use straight mustard.. sometimes cottage cheese.