What are the advantages to Bikram Yoga?

Options
Hello all! I've been on this fitness kick for quite some time now, and am about 20 pounds from my goal weight. My goal is to be athletic and have good muscle definition, and I also like to mix up my workouts to maximize benefits and keep it from getting boring. Right now, I work out 5-6x per week, 2 days of metabolic/strength workouts, 3 days of cardio (spin or running), and a day or 2 of tennis.

Recently, I have noticed that I've been developing some prolonged muscle soreness and some joint pain in my shoulders and hip. A friend of mine is a huge fan of Bikram Yoga, and recommended that I try it. I was hoping that it would help me lean out and relax my muscles, and maybe help with increasing some of my joint strength. Also, I've read that it is possible to burn about 650-900 calories per session. So, I bought a 1 month membership to a studio and am giving it a try.

However, I talked with my trainer today (who has helped me lose over 90 pounds) and he told me that there is really no added benefit from the workout as opposed to my current regimen. He mentioned that you may not experience a true weight loss (mainly just water weight), nor do you truely reach a cardio heart rate level (which I can attest that I didn't).

Like I said, I'm going to give it a try this month (2x per week), but I wanted to see if there is anyone out there who practices regularly, and notices any difference in their strength, weight loss, or body composition from before they started?

Replies

• julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yoga in general will help with flexibility and core strength, but it won't make you leaner other than helping burn calories etc. It doesn't actually 'elongate' your muscles or anything like that. I've been practicing for 10 years, and outside of the fact that it keeps me from walking around like a hunched up troll, it keeps my mind much calmer.

Bikram.... I'm not a fan. First off, you have extra flexibility due to the heat, making it really easy to over extend and injure yourself. Then there's the risk of dehydration. As you work out tonnes, you want to make sure you are hydrated more not less. And finally, I think the guy that 'owns' the flow that makes up the so-called Bikram routine is a jerk for trying to copyright movements that have been around forever. If you like practicing in the heat, you can always sign up for hot yoga at any studio and it might be cheaper than Bikram.

This just turned into a rant. Sorry. Perhaps someone who loves it will sign on and tell you the benefits because I am obviously less than qualified to. But yoga yeah! Good luck!
  • julialou1979
    Options
    Although it's also really important to keep trying new things - so this could be great for a month!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. The improved core strength would be nice, but I'm never going to be very flexible..kind of have a big frame. Like I said, just giving it a shot, at least it should help with my water weight because my body does tend to be very sensitive to bloating from foods/exercise.

I was just curious because I know that a lot of people do it, and they always say how hard it is and what a good workout it is. Hence, I was always scared to try it. From doing it a few times, I find that it doesn't really affect me as much as one of my standard workouts. And afterwards, I was able to recover fairly quickly once out of the heat.
  • julialou1979
    Options
    Yeah, I think with your workouts, the challenge will just be in the hydration!
  • dwmaestradeb
    Options
    Flexibility, core strength, balance. I also find it very calming and it's satisfying to me to be able to challenge myself. I wouldn't use it as my only exercise, but it's a fun part of my rotation. You do have to drink a lot of water!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Bikram yoga burn no more calories than regular yoga, which would be in the range of about 300-350 calories average for 60-90 minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yoga's function is really flexibility and balance (from a physical standpoint)... It would not replace cardio (endurance) or strength training (strength).. All activities are good for their intended purpose (Provided they are not dangerous)... If this particular yoga uses heat then it is important to remain hydrated and of course as one person alluded, avoid hyperextension.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll use it for to supplement some workouts, and see how it goes.