Help. I Am Struggling

Options
Hello all. This is my first real post. Here's the condensed backstory: I've been big my whole life. Constant bullying and a difficult childhood left me with some chronic low self esteem. I ate because I was sad, bored, lonely, happy, and mad. I ate too much of the wrong things for a long time. I've lost weight and gained it back many times. I'm back on the wagon again and I WANT IT TO WORK THIS TIME. I want to make a lasting change. I've lost 25 lbs since October.

I can workout like a boss when I keep myself in the habit of doing it. I'm talking like cardio and strength training 4 or 5 days a week. For a gal my size, I think i'm actually very healthy. I am very strong and can throw down when it comes to strength training and I am running two miles everyday. With that said, any disruption to my routine will send my workout schedule down the drain.

Food is my main problem. I end up cheating almost everyday. I always have such good intentions. I start off each day perfectly. I have my meals planned out and I intend to go to the gym. Then there's free yummy BBQ at work, or someone brought in cookies, or I stick to my sad healthy lunch only to cave at dinner and go out to eat. I have ABSOLUTELY NO willpower and I am constantly being tempted. This is so frustrating! Between my complete lack of willpower, my binging, and emotional eating habits I don't know if I will ever get it together. I can exercise with the best of them, but that won't make a difference as long as my eating habits are out of control.

I don't even know what I'm looking for from you guys. I guess motivation... tips.. hope... anything. Whatever ya'll have, I'm listening. Help.

Replies

• connie1208
    Options
    Take it one day at the time..it takes 21 days to establish good habits..Follow you MFP food and excersice goals and you will reach your desired weight...Good Luck!!
  • randeekirk2009
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have been trying to get in shape since November and havent lost any weight. I only go to the gym twice a week and have personal trainer. I definitely understand how you feel about always being tempted. I dont think I can give you any advice since I am in the same boat, but I can say this week has started off pretty good for me since I started logging my food and weighing in everyday. I dread the weighin but I think it helps keep me focused during the day. Have you been logging your food and weight? I have lost a pound since Monday so I guess that's a start! Hang in there!
  • nattycalder
    Options
    Before you reach for that cookie or that piece chocolate, first ask yourself how you will feel if you eat this treat (guilty, satisfied)? It makes you think twice about the food decision that you're making. If you decide that what you really want a cookie, then have it. Just remember:everything in moderation.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I'm tempted with unhealthy food (and I often am), I look at the calorie content of whatever it is that I want to eat (cookies, a slice of cake, whatever) and compare it to the amount of time it would take for me to burn off those calories with exercise and ask myself, "is it really worth it?" Most of the time, it itsn't. But on the rare occasion that it is, I go ahead and eat it! :D

That's just a way I rationalize a temptation and it usually keeps me from pigging out. It may help you too. Good luck, and great job on exercising! That's quite impressive :)
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I agree that it takes time.

Try focusing on 1 thing a week. For example,

Portion control
    More protein
    Healthy snacks
    Drink water
    Avoid sugary drinks
    Eat 3 serving of fruit
    Eat 3 serving of vegetables
    No pastries

These things will become habits and you will begin to see better results.
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some credit. Please read these excerpts from your original post:
    I can workout like a boss when I keep myself in the habit of doing it.
    I have ABSOLUTELY NO willpower

You HAVE got that willpower, otherwise you wouldn't be able to go 4-5 workouts per week. Start believing in yourself. Give yourself permission to change and develop new, healthy habits like the exercise schedule you already have. The rest will follow.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would start by just logging your food, don't worry so much about staying under a certain goal or anything - just the logging alone with make you be mindful of what you eat and also get you used to looking at portion sizes and stuff. After a week see what your average daily calorie intake is and then set a goal to be under that by a certain percentage. Set yourself some other small goals and concentrate on building on your successes.

As for falling of the wagon, I completely understand because I have that same issue in other areas of my life. I saw something today that said something like "a day without fitness is a like a night without sleep'. Maybe think of it that way... if you 'fell off the wagon' and didn't sleep well, or even not at all, one night you wouldn't just stop sleeping forever would you?

Finally, remember that one day does not make or break you - it's all about the trend.

You can do this!!!
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    Hey, first of all, it'a good thing is that you are healthy! thats the most important thing. Secondly, the best advice i can give you for will power is to pray about it and ask God to give you the strength to stick to your plan and meet your goals. Whenever you feel tempted just say a prayer for strength and try to avoid situations where you will be tempted for a little while. If someone offers you something at work, its OK to say no :) The first couple weeks are always the hardest, but it will get easier after that, I really hope everything works out for you.. your strong, you can do this!!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I found that sticking to calories for 1 lb a week helped me from turning into a junk goblin ;). If you err forgive yourself... Your doing great.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Well congrats on your 25 lbs so far, that's awesome!!!

Do you log EVERYTHING you eat when you binge/cheat? I find this really helps the next time I want to cheat with that same food, I think of the calorie content from the last time and it makes it a lot easier to avoid.

Something that stopped my binging completely was going low carb. Cutting out sugars and simple carbs all together makes it sooo much easier to avoid them! Your body no longer craves them, it's quite something! This is the best way because it's not enough to get rid of the food itself, you have to get rid of the actual DESIRE for the craved foods! That way there is no deprivation, we all know where deprivation leads...
  • Amanda,
    I completely understand the temptations I'm a military wife with four boys, it can be very hard to stay focused, but what I try to do is to look at the positive things, one thing I think is that you should focus on is how amazing you are for already loosing 25 lbs. You had the will to do that so you have it in you to go the rest of the way. There is an awsome saying from a clean eating documentary that i love "instead of thinking to yourself I want it but cant have it, think to your self I can have it but dont want it." If you get the urge to go out to dinner decide to stay in a help out your pocket book. I have the same problem when going out, or to parties I just try to use visualization I hold the picture of what I want to look like in my mind and how much work and effort i have already put into my body and suddenly the food i was looking at isnt so tempting anymore. My happiness is more important than bbq, your happiness is more important than bbq. YOU GOT THIS your worth it darlin!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you are in counseling, but that might be a good place to start especially with your past experience. With me I had to admit I am a food addict. I eat to hurt or soothe.

I struggle with this everyday after 22 days of binge free I fell into it today. But logging helps. Try to be patient with yourself do you tend to have an all or nothing attitude?
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    I'd honestly suggest being diligent about logging/measuring you're food. I've tried other weightloss methods before deciding I just needed to be healthy and joined MFP, within the first week, it really helped me understand what I was consuming. I've always eating semi healthy I love fruits and veggies, I just didn't realize how MUCH I was eating. Once I became more aware of what I was putting in my mouth, it made it a lot easier to stick to it. I've also found snacking throughout the day helps. And if you like sweets, and goodies, bake them yourself. That way you know what's going into them and it tends to be better than purchased alternatives.
  • amandalynnh3
    amandalynnh3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some credit. Please read these excerpts from your original post:
    I can workout like a boss when I keep myself in the habit of doing it.
    I have ABSOLUTELY NO willpower

You HAVE got that willpower, otherwise you wouldn't be able to go 4-5 workouts per week. Start believing in yourself. Give yourself permission to change and develop new, healthy habits like the exercise schedule you already have. The rest will follow.

Ha. Good point. I didn't realize how contradictory those statements were.

I guess I should add that although I CAN workout at a very intense rate... If something comes up and I have to skip a day I'm out of the routine and it may be weeks before I jump back in.

I constantly feel like I'm one cheese burger away from failure... or one day off at the gym away from failure.
  • amandalynnh3
    Options
    Amanda,
    I completely understand the temptations I'm a military wife with four boys, it can be very hard to stay focused, but what I try to do is to look at the positive things, one thing I think is that you should focus on is how amazing you are for already loosing 25 lbs. You had the will to do that so you have it in you to go the rest of the way. There is an awsome saying from a clean eating documentary that i love "instead of thinking to yourself I want it but cant have it, think to your self I can have it but dont want it." If you get the urge to go out to dinner decide to stay in a help out your pocket book. I have the same problem when going out, or to parties I just try to use visualization I hold the picture of what I want to look like in my mind and how much work and effort i have already put into my body and suddenly the food i was looking at isnt so tempting anymore. My happiness is more important than bbq, your happiness is more important than bbq. YOU GOT THIS your worth it darlin!

You are the sweetest! Thank you!
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time and log everything you are eating. Do not keep tempting foods or snacks at home, and just stay on point when you're at work. Temptation is always going to be everywhere, you have to keep focused to control it. best of luck!
  • runnergirl246
    runnergirl246 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am definitely in the same boat as you. I have struggled with my weight my entire life (as well as struggling with bullies who would want to keep me down). I have suffered from a lot of body and self-hate as well. A few years ago I thought I had found my answer to dealing with my weight problems when I lost about 20lbs and kept it off for over a year or so.... Unfortunately what I thought was a huge win for me actually turned out to be a horrible disordered eating problem. I was eating about 1000 calories a day and working out for about an hour 7 days a week. While I felt like I was actually starting to feel good about my body, I realized I was miserable in general....I was obsessing about everything that I put in my mouth and after everything I ate I was constantly running through how much exercise I would need in order to work off those calories I just consumed.

I ended up getting help and have worked to get my disordered eating under control....now though I have put back on the 20lbs and feel like I am back where I started...unhappy with my body. Every time I try to get back "on the wagon" with eating right and exercise, I start getting worried that I will start to fall down that hill again of obsession...

I have no idea what to do!
  • amandalynnh3
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the tips and the support. That's one of that things I love about this website... the community. I need all the positivity I can get.

I do log EVERYTHING that I eat for the same reason that you all are suggesting. Seeing the absurd amount of calories or sugar or fat in that BBQ sandwich is always a rude awakening. I do also look up calories before I eat something in order to decide if it's worth it. Sometimes it deters me... sometimes it doesn't.

I have a habit of justifying a binge with this "I deserve it" attitude. You know... I've been doing sooo good that I deserve this snack. That's okay every now and then or once a week, but somehow it happens everyday which is self-defeating. It's almost like I just get tunnel vision and forget about all the other times I've cheated this week HA HA!.

And yes, it's awesome that I lost 25 lbs. But I need to lose 70 more. That is a serious amount of weight. It's overwhelming to think about. I feel like there is NO room for error. I have to be on my game 24/7. So there's a lot of pressure there... hence the intensity at which I am approaching this.
    I dont know if you are in counseling, but that might be a good place to start especially with your past experience. With me I had to admit I am a food addict. I eat to hurt or soothe.

I struggle with this everyday after 22 days of binge free I fell into it today. But logging helps. Try to be patient with yourself do you tend to have an all or nothing attitude?

Yup, I've been in and out of counseling. We've never really seemed to GET to the issue. And you have me pegged... I am an ALL or NOTHING girl. Always have been about everything. Do you have any tips for dealing with that?

Again, thank you everyone! Good luck with your individual weight loss/gain/muscle goals.
  • amandalynnh3
    Options
    Hi there! I am definitely in the same boat as you. I have struggled with my weight my entire life (as well as struggling with bullies who would want to keep me down). I have suffered from a lot of body and self-hate as well. A few years ago I thought I had found my answer to dealing with my weight problems when I lost about 20lbs and kept it off for over a year or so.... Unfortunately what I thought was a huge win for me actually turned out to be a horrible disordered eating problem. I was eating about 1000 calories a day and working out for about an hour 7 days a week. While I felt like I was actually starting to feel good about my body, I realized I was miserable in general....I was obsessing about everything that I put in my mouth and after everything I ate I was constantly running through how much exercise I would need in order to work off those calories I just consumed.

I ended up getting help and have worked to get my disordered eating under control....now though I have put back on the 20lbs and feel like I am back where I started...unhappy with my body. Every time I try to get back "on the wagon" with eating right and exercise, I start getting worried that I will start to fall down that hill again of obsession...

I have no idea what to do!

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I will obsess over everything. And I feel like I HAVE too in order to lose weight. The intensity is too much and I end up caving. I wish I had more advice for you, but all I can say is i'm in the same boat and I think you're gorgeous just the way you are!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not being too successful on my weight loss journey, I made the decision at the start of January to clean up my eating. Starting with cutting out chocolate, biscuits, sweets and crisps. I knew all the calories, fat etc but previously it hadn't stopped me stuffing 700 calories worth of chocolate down my neck at a time.

So what was different this time? I started at a gym and when you've paid £80 for 3 months membership you don't want to sabotage it so that's helped. But the biggest difference is that I make the decision to eat or not to eat the rubbish. When I want a chocolate bar, I say to myself "Ok you are making the decision to eat this, even though you know it isn't good for you etc etc." Then I REALLY think about what sort of bar I want and so far, every time I have made the decision NOT to buy/eat it! It's saved me £60 in cash which is going towards my holiday in August and even though I've lost no weight (got 14-21lbs to lose) I'm proud of myself for being strong!

You ARE a strong person and you CAN choose to eat healthily if you wish! Try going cold turkey from chocolate, cakes, sweets, take away for a week and see how you get on!

Hope this helps

B x