C25K success stories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, it works! If you're willing to really push yourself every single time you go out.

I went from couch to 5k in about 10 weeks, and actually ran my first 5k in about 32 minutes BEFORE finishing the c25k program. I ran a 2nd 5k about 3 weeks later, and took around a minute off that time.

You should absolutely sign up for the 5k, and enjoy every minute of it! Good luck!
  • alli4350
    Options
    I started the C25K program 7 weeks ago. I started on Week 3 because I didn't have 9 weeks until my first 5k and because I felt like my endurance was good enough to start there. I went all the way through the program - some days were easy, some were not - but it worked. I ran my first 5k last Saturday without stopping. I finished 81st out of 268 people, and I'm happy to say that I'm now an average runner. :)
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I started a C25K using the Android app last July. I started at about 280 lbs, and running for 90 seconds was asking a lot. However, I was able to do the entire program and I never had to stop during a workout session.

At the end, I was able to run across the Golden Gate Bridge and back with no problems - that was my 'reward' vs a planned 5k race. I'm not running 3x a week anymore, but I can comfortably run 4 miles now.

Definitely a great program and very happy someone suggested it to me.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    You can see my before picture in my profile - but I was 270ish pounds at my heaviest, and definitely skinny fat, very little muscle at all. If i ran I would get terrible shin pain that prevented me from running. When I was about 220 I tried C25K never having been able to even run a mile straight pretty much ever in my life (I am very top heavy with weight distribution)

Simply put the program worked for me - and even over a year later I am able to run the occasional 5k when I feel like changing up my training a bit, just going out and running for a straight 30 minutes without stopping was a huge huge success for me, so I definitely encourage anybody to do it.

TLDR: I went from probably an 18min mile to a sub 30 min 5K with the program
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    You can see my before picture in my profile - but I was 270ish pounds at my heaviest, and definitely skinny fat, very little muscle at all. If i ran I would get terrible shin pain that prevented me from running. When I was about 220 I tried C25K never having been able to even run a mile straight pretty much ever in my life (I am very top heavy with weight distribution)

Simply put the program worked for me - and even over a year later I am able to run the occasional 5k when I feel like changing up my training a bit, just going out and running for a straight 30 minutes without stopping was a huge huge success for me, so I definitely encourage anybody to do it.

TLDR: I went from probably an 18min mile to a sub 30 min 5K with the program
  • leahstaeb
    leahstaeb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    At the end of the nine weeks, I was not running a 10-minute mile to get in the full 3 miles in 30 minutes (and I'm still not...yet), but I was running for 30 minutes straight. Since then, I have just kept running until I made it to 3 miles...depending on how I feel that day/my pace, it takes me between 32-37 minutes to run 3 miles. Before I started the program, my friend and I registered for a mud run that was 12 weeks away. It was great and something I would have wanted to do but never would have done if not for completing couch to 5k. Definitely register for a 5k to keep motivated and have something to look forward to when you finish. I've done 4 mud runs since then and some other fun run 5k events because they are a lot of fun and they keep me motivated to keep on running...I like to run now, but I'm not sure I would do it as consistently if I didn't keep an end goal. Also, since my end goal is a mud run, I don't have an excuse to not run in the rain because I'm going to get dirty at the event anyway, so I may as well get used it. I think eventually I will be able to keep myself motivated to keep running without a running event every other month or so, but I'm doing well like this for now and having fun, so I don't want to rock the boat haha! Good luck! You can do it!!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have not completed it yet (currently on W7D2), but can say FOR SURE it works!!! I was one that always said that I was not a runner and could never be. Just stick to it and remember it is not a race, slow and steady. You can do it!
  • Heatherdawnxoxo
    Heatherdawnxoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i cant claim to be a success story lol ...i am the furthest thing from a 'runner' ...but i made my first attempt at c25k in novemberish and managed to get as far as week 5 before the holidays hit and things went down the drain lol.
    when i started week 1 i was sucking wind so bad just jogging for 30 seconds ...but by week 5 i was feeling good and was able to do so much more.
    i recently decided to give it another try and am going to work on week 2 this week. hoping to make it all the way to week 9 this time lol.
    i've been suckered into a 1/2 marathon as well as a 5k, both in june ...so i better get moving! lol

good luck!
    it's worth it!
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm a success! A whooping 280+ lbs of a success! Hahaha :)

I started C25K back in August '12 and did my first race 4 months later. It wasn't easy but it wasn't extremely hard either.

I would suggest getting the phone app (I think there are 2-4 different ones) My Fiance and I used different ones- mine pushed me harder sooner than his.

The biggest thing is getting out the door or doing it consistantly. I typically ran a day and took the next day off.

Now most the the programs have your goal as a 30min 5K...yeah I can't do that still. My normal time is roughly 50-55 minutes, though I am beginning to train for speed to shave that down.
    The best distance I have gone after c25k is 5 miles in 1hr 45min at an even pace.

I have ran 2 5Ks so far with another in March. I hope to add 10Ks to that list by Fall.

Best Advice: Just Run. I worried about everyone look at my fatty parts jiggling but in reality- no one stares. Everyone is in their own separate world :) Also- get fitted for shoes at an actual running store. May run you close to $130 but worth every penny!
  • res119
    res119 Posts: 27
    Options
    Everyone is so inspiring and motivating, thank you so much! I just finished day 2 today and it was already a teeny tiny bit easier than day 1. I know I have a long way to go but I feel so much more confident now that I am going to be able to do it! And congratulations to all of you who have had success, even if it means you are just starting out like me. It really is true, getting off the couch is the first and biggest success of all!
  • cakelady69
    Options
    It works. I was not able to run my first 5k in 30 mins. But I did do it in 40.12 mins and I was very pleased with that. When I did it I weighed 250 lbs, so you can do it. Trust me, once you do you will be hooked too! Have fun and enjoy the process.
  • katie__pillar
    Options
    I did my 5k session today and managed to do it in under 30 minutes! OK, it was in 29 minutes, but still.

(I'm bragging a bit I know but I'm proud of myself. :D)