How to find TDEE

Options
Hi there,

I'm completely confused, I cannot seem to find my TDEE.

According to Scoobyworkshop, my TDEE is 2495, and BMR is 1609

According to http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ it varies hugely - depending on the forumula chosen.

The Mifflin StJeor is TDEE 2434 with BMR of 1570

The Harris Benedict is TDEE 2511 with BMR of 1620

The Katch McArdle is TDEE 1493 with BMR of 963

There's such a huge variance I don't know what it is??? Can someone who knows about this stuff please help?

Replies

• sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump - not entirely sure if mine is right either...
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I used scooby, it made the most sense to me personally. I eat at right around my BMR(1500), which is only 100 cals different than my TDEE -20% (1600). I figure since the calorie counts are estimates, I'm probably eating closer to my 1600 goal, but I aim for slightly less just so I don't go too far over.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    All TDEE calculations are estimates so don't stress.

Your TDEE is about 2,400 - 2,2500 from the numbers you have given (I would recheck to see if you have put the correct data into the Katch Mcardle calculator - I suspect you haven't.)
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think you did something wrong with The Katch McArdle because that one is pretty accurate. Maybe you fill in the wrong numbers. The other calculators you used are pretty much te same, so take a average of those. For example BMR around 1600 and TDEE around 2450. It's all not that accurate. The most important is to stay under your TDEE and above your BMR. So if you would eat around 1850 your fine. You will lose weight. As soon as you are under your TDEE you will lose wait, don't worry.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    If you read this thread it explains everything comprehensively.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If you also look @ Scoobys it shows you how much to eat at a 20% defeicit, just don't eat your exercise cal's. They are all very close except that last one is out the door, scrap that one.

Cheers:drinker:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This!
  • aminswife
    aminswife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The Scoobyworkshop claims to use the Harris Benedict formula

The other three all came from this website (http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/) , I enter the data once and it gives all three, so I didn't enter wrong data ??

Katch McArdle is recommended if you know your body fat % which I do, so I put that in, but its the same info used to calculate the Mifflin St Jeor and Harris Benedict on that site.

I'm wondering if the Katch McArdle could be right, as I haven't lost a single pound (been doing it 2 weeks in earnest) , and it says at 1200 cals as per MFP I would only lost 0.5lb a week...therefore I would have to eat 900 cals to lose a pound.
  • aminswife
    Options

This!

I did read it ! You need the TDEE!!!
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    It tells you which formula is the most accurate.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt your BMR is as low as 960. As has been pointed out, the other methods are all pretty close, I'd go with those.

What's your current height and weight?
  • aminswife
    Options
    It tells you which formula is the most accurate.

This is what started me down this confused path....

I used the website he recommended so here is what it told me (it calculated my bf% to be 67.3)

I've pasted it in here...it says KatchMcArdle is more accurate but then goes on to tell me to eat between 1800 cals + (as I exercise lightly/moderately 3+ times each week

Ok from the website he recommends using:

Custom BMR Calculation

Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 30 year old female, 65 inches tall, weighing 183 pounds, BMI of 30.4 (Obese).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 125 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1616 calories.

Katch-McArdle Forumla

The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 67.3%, you have a lean body mass of 60 lbs., and your BMR is 959 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1636
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1874
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2113
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2351
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2590
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    Use Harris Benedict or Scooby - they are more or less the same.

The other formula seems to be flawed.

Let's face it - they are all only approximations. You'd never get the EXCAT figure without extensive medical tests.
  • aminswife
    Options

Let's face it - they are all only approximations. You'd never get the EXCAT figure without extensive medical tests.

I know but if I should be following KatchMcArdle then I am going to pile on the pounds using Harris Benedict, its almost 1000 calories difference each day....even if I averaged it out and split the difference, I would still put on weight using Harris Benedict.

Do you see why I'm confused? And hesitant about eating an extra 600+ calories each day than what MFP says....
  • myofibril
    Options
    I used the website he recommended so here is what it told me (it calculated my bf% to be 67.3)

I sincerely doubt that is the case unless you are super morbidly obese - even then it would be astonishing.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options

I know but if I should be following KatchMcArdle then I am going to pile on the pounds using Harris Benedict, its almost 1000 calories difference each day....even if I averaged it out and split the difference, I would still put on weight using Harris Benedict.

Do you see why I'm confused? And hesitant about eating an extra 600+ calories each day than what MFP says....

1: Ignore what MFP says
    2: Take the advice of the Roadmap thread
    3: Stop worrying about the Katch McArdle formula - seems to be universally ignored.
  • aminswife
    Options

I sincerely doubt that is the case unless you are super morbidly obese - even then it would be astonishing.

I got it tested with some machine by a bootcamp instructor 2 years ago when I was 2 stone lighter...at that point (not using a calculator but an electronic machine) it came in at 47%, exclusing organs, so I sincerely doubt its wrong.
  • myofibril
    Options

I get you must be confused but the process weeds out any individual variances.

What is the process?

Start at any reasonable number you like - say 1,800 for you.

Eat that number consistently and accurately for the next 4 weeks.

Reassess - if you have gained then lower calories if you have lost then stay the same or raise depending on what you want to achieve.

Rinse and repeat.

Finally don't be afraid of gaining weight in the short term (even though this may sound counter intuitive.) Be afraid of consistent weight gain in the long term. The process above will eliminate this outcome though.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think the Kate McKardle calculator on the site you used is incorrect, or you have entered the wrong values. Try the version on fat2fitradio.com, which helps you find out your body fat % first and then feeds it into several calculators. I've never met anyone with a BMR of 900 odd, that's really, really low, unless you are a fairy, pigmy or other tiny person I guess. NB no offence to tiny people intended, I'm only 5'3' myself so I gnome what it is like.....gnome, get it?

Anyway, I'd use an average of the other 2. Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • myofibril
    Options

I got it tested with some machine by a bootcamp instructor 2 years ago when I was 2 stone lighter...at that point (not using a calculator but an electronic machine) it came in at 47%, exclusing organs, so I sincerely doubt its wrong.

Was it a BIA machine?

If so, the results are not going to be as accurate as you imagine.

If you really want to resolve the matter then invest in a DEXA scan but if your BF% really is that high then your first port of call really should be seeking medical supervision.