Lost my first 20 lbs!!

Options
Yup, it's official! I lost my first 20 lbs! I know it's not huge, but it is a really big accomplishment for me. :)

Going from a very sedentary lifestyle and eating tons of carbs, along with hypothyroidism and insulin resistance... oh, and no medication until April when my insurance starts up... I am so proud of myself. :) I love this new lifestyle I am living. I know I have a long journey ahead of me, but just knowing that I am doing it and my hard work is paying off - what an awesome feeling!

Replies

• Carolannb1986
    Options
    WELL DONE!!!
  • FarmerTed
    FarmerTed Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • Mcnaughtonmom
    Mcnaughtonmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    great job and I think 20 lbs is a huge deal. Have a great day
  • BeautifulBrownButterfly
    Options
    Any loss is a huge accomplishment in my eyes it takes hard work to lose 1 pound..good job and congratulations!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You're well on your way! :flowerforyou:
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    20 pounds is a very big deal, :flowerforyou: and it sounds as if you've set small goals which will be so much more achieveable!! Congratulations to you and your new lifestyle! :drinker:
  • mogzBH
    mogzBH Posts: 50
    Options
    Well done!
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Yay! Way to go. I think it is a great accomplishment. Losing 20 means that you have made changes and been consistent enough to lose a significant amount of weight. 20 lbs is what a car tire weighs. Or the a big bag of dog food, and the big box of cat litter I buy. Big cans of Crisco (fat) weigh 3 lbs. So, you have basically lost 7 big cans of Crisco! Stack up 7 cans of Crisco...that is the volume of fat you have lost. I think it's awesome. And, if you can lose that much you can lose whatever you want! Keep it up. :smile:
  • ladydockins
    ladydockins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats, it does feel awesome!!! I weighed in this morning I have also lost my first 20lbs :)) And I have not had a cigarette in more than a week!
  • sharonKay65
    sharonKay65 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It is very exciting to see that first 20 come off :smile: I always add another 5 pounds to what my MFP ticker shows simply because on New Years Day, I had written in my journal what I weighed and I started trying to lose weight that day, and even though I had the MFP App. on my Ipod, I really didn't use it consistently until much later in January, by then I had lost 5 pounds. I feel like it has been a huge help as far as helping me stay motivated and on track. I wish you continued success in your weight loss!
  • doin_it
    doin_it Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    WTG...keep up the good work!!
  • shaimoney18
    Options
    congrats!!!:happy:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Congratulations! It is very exciting to see that first 20 come off :smile: I always add another 5 pounds to what my MFP ticker shows simply because on New Years Day, I had written in my journal what I weighed and I started trying to lose weight that day, and even though I had the MFP App. on my Ipod, I really didn't use it consistently until much later in January, by then I had lost 5 pounds. I feel like it has been a huge help as far as helping me stay motivated and on track. I wish you continued success in your weight loss!

You can put in a manual entry for New Year's day if you want your ticker to be accurate. I did that as I started a week before I got MFP. Go to Check in, then select Edit Previous Entries, and at the bottom it allows you to enter a New entry.

And to the OP, congratulations, I know how exciting this must be, I'm nearly there so I can empathise :happy:
  • d3gus
    d3gus Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well done... I know how difficult it is to lose weight when you have hypothyroidism as i am a fellow sufferer. It is a terrible condition not understood by a lot of people. The weight gain and hair loss, lack of memory, exhaustion, skin itching are emotional sticks to beat your self with every day. If you get yourself sorted with the right medication tho, you do feel like there is a way through it.

I too have just lost 20 lb since I started in January, I still have days of real low self esteem, I look in the mirror and think I am not worth it.... but i keep trying and that at the end of the day is all you can do... TRY.
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thats huge! congrats!
  • Karen1962a
    Karen1962a Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you make me think its worth keep going to see if I can do the same !
  • BossBich
    BossBich Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You are the bomb !!!!!!! 20lbs is fantastic...........
  • Mortaysmom
    Options
    I'm so happy to hear about other people's experinces and successes on this site.. I too, suffer from hypothyroidism, but I do blame myself as well for eating to excess and not exercising. 20lbs. is a lot of weight to lose since January--CONGRATS. I was wondering if you implemented exercise and changed your diet in order to achieve this success. I'm currenlty, walking a couple of miles a day-and meeting the caloric intake recommendation. Does anyone have any additional suggestions to make the weight come off?
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    20lbs is a very big deal. Imagine what 20 lbs of fat looks like. Congrats!!!
  • cgrace23
    Options
    Yay! Way to go. I think it is a great accomplishment. Losing 20 means that you have made changes and been consistent enough to lose a significant amount of weight. 20 lbs is what a car tire weighs. Or the a big bag of dog food, and the big box of cat litter I buy. Big cans of Crisco (fat) weigh 3 lbs. So, you have basically lost 7 big cans of Crisco! Stack up 7 cans of Crisco...that is the volume of fat you have lost. I think it's awesome. And, if you can lose that much you can lose whatever you want! Keep it up. :smile:

THANK YOU! This really does help to put it in perspective for me! A car tire... Wow!

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!