Lost my first 20 lbs!!

Options
2»

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm only half as good as you! You are doing really well. Treat yourself to something pretty!
  • rdelsaz
    rdelsaz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great! I think it is a great accomplishment!!! Way to go!!! :)
  • cgrace23
    Options
    I'm so happy to hear about other people's experinces and successes on this site.. I too, suffer from hypothyroidism, but I do blame myself as well for eating to excess and not exercising. 20lbs. is a lot of weight to lose since January--CONGRATS. I was wondering if you implemented exercise and changed your diet in order to achieve this success. I'm currenlty, walking a couple of miles a day-and meeting the caloric intake recommendation. Does anyone have any additional suggestions to make the weight come off?

Thank you! I should have probably specified that I lost a few pounds in November but didn't start trying until December. At that point I mainly focused on changing my diet and eating habits, started doing some light work outs at home. In January I found MFP and towards the end of the month joined a local gym. I go to the gym at least 4-5 days a week. I do about an hour of weights and an hour of cardio. I hate cardio with a passion, but love weights. :) Next month I will probably start taking some of the Zumba and Body Pump classes also. I really want to get into the 5x5x5 weight program because MFP has taught me how beneficial strength training is for women. Exercise has honestly become the thing I look forward to most everyday and is a huge stress reliever in my life.

As far as diet, I come from an Italian and Hispanic background so I was basically raised on a high carb and calorie diet. Now, I try to eat lots of protein, it helps me stay full. I drink a lot of water, eat lots of fish, baked or grilled chicken, vegetables, fruit. I hardly eat sugar and try to stay away from prepackaged foods. I suck at logging my food but am trying to get better because it does help you! I try to follow the dietary guidelines that MFP has set for me. With the hypothyroidism, my levels have never been regulated - my doctor had no clue what she was doing and due to insurance issues I have been off meds for a long time. The only thing she ever told me was to watch my carb intake and from what I have read on the boards here, that seems to be true. I will be seeing an endocrinologist in April though to get that all sorted out.

I'm not on a crazy restrictive diet. I don't do hours of cardio a day. Just going the tried and true route of watching what I eat and being more active... if I can do it, YOU can do it too. :) Good luck!
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    WOW! THAT"S 4 BAGS Of SUGAR!!!! GREAT JOB!!!
  • dpbach
    Options
    Great work, keep it up!
  • Ashley1c
    Options
    Good for you!!! How did you do it???? I am always under my suggested calories, I work out...not hard core, but I do get active. My wedding is in July and my honeymoon is at beach location...I HATE A BATHING SUIT!!! Please share you tips.
  • bbmich23
    bbmich23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    :happy: Congratulations! That is wonderful! Keep up the awesome work!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Twenty pounds is awesome. If you feel it isn't much try carrying 4 bags of sugar around for an hour. You will see what a huge difference it is for your body not to have to do that any more! Congrats!
  • cgrace23
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I didn't expect anyone to care really, just needed to share with somebody besides my toddler who just doesn't understand why we were having a crazy 6 AM victory dance party this morning lol.
  • loseweightIhope
    Options
    Good job! Keep up the work, and you will continue to have success!
  • warriorsal
    warriorsal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Woot woot! Keep pushing yourself!
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    good job!!! Keep us posted when you reach your next milestone. Love hearing the during procces.
    Viki
  • pl7285
    pl7285 Posts: 14
    Options
    NICE:happy:
  • tlynnest
    tlynnest Posts: 112
    Options
    Well done... I know how difficult it is to lose weight when you have hypothyroidism as i am a fellow sufferer. It is a terrible condition not understood by a lot of people. The weight gain and hair loss, lack of memory, exhaustion, skin itching are emotional sticks to beat your self with every day. If you get yourself sorted with the right medication tho, you do feel like there is a way through it.

I too have just lost 20 lb since I started in January, I still have days of real low self esteem, I look in the mirror and think I am not worth it.... but i keep trying and that at the end of the day is all you can do... TRY.

Ummmm...You are doing more than trying :-) ...you are achieving!!!!!
  • kimbobbers26
    kimbobbers26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    well done! :)
  • cathers_
    cathers_ Posts: 70
    Options
    fat_5lb_brick.jpg

4 bricks? Pretty impressive if you ask me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!