Friiends who are not concerned with their weight

Options
So thankfully i have a lot of friends and family who are really tryin to do this thing right, eat healthy and exercise. But there is always that one friend thatr doesnt care and wants to go out to eat every day for lunch. I dont want to to tell her no everyday, so i need some advice.... What do i eat when i go out to eat.... I'm lost and confused on this part... i know that i can be strong at home but a a restaurant..... i dont know!!!!!

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Feel free to tell her no every day. Ask her to instead bring lunch and go eat at a park. Don't be afraid to eat first and then go sit with her and just sip water and if you must eat get a side salad with lemon wedges for dressing (SOOO good!). Use $$ as a reason as well as being healthy. (Sometimes people listen to me better when I say no $ more than I say no calories! :)) Also, become very familiar with all of the menus / nutritional info of all the local restaurants. My husband slipped me a Subway cookie last night and I thought "how bad can it be?" over 200 cals in one cookie. nearly as much as my whole 6" sun. When i know the cals in advance it's so much easier to decline! Also, on the days you know you will be going to lunch - wear your smallest jeans / pants - it's hard to overeat when you are reminded about wanting to lose weight by your pants! :)

(PS vote for me! See my sig!)
  • mwoolfenden
    Options
    find things on the menu that you would make at home, or things that you know what all the ingrerediants are, and eat only half portions cause they are always high in calories.
  • wisdom71
    wisdom71 Posts: 7
    Options
    luvvvvv mjtwomail's response and totally agree. people listen more when you say "I'm broke" rather than when you say you're watching your weight. Good luck!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You pick where you eat or steer her towards a place that is healthy for you. Do your research first and get the nutritional information of places where you might eat. If she is a good friend she will understand if you tell her how much you are wanting to get healthy. You could set up non-food visits with her like going to a movie or another activity. It is best to be honest and explain to her how hard it is to go out to eat but that you still want to spend time with her. :flowerforyou:
  • blackchick85
    Options
    Thanks for all of the really good advice... i love this website!!!!
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    I have a theory.

We (as the human race) have spent so much time recently saying that it's fine to be overweight, it's not a serious issue, there are TV programs showing you how to dress when big and look good etc etc.

That we forget, it's not healthy. Being overweight, not that bad, being obese, it's a problem. I think we've become so worried about hurting peoples feelings that we don't tell the truth anymore. Teasing and abusing is wrong, but being concerned about someone you care about and talking about it. As long as it's done for the right reason I don't see the problem with it.

Take your friend for lunch, but take her somewhere you can control the food, talk to her and let her know how well you're feeling now you're losing weight (don't ram it down her throat every sentence but nothing is stopping you talking about it) and try to steer her in the right direction, offer to teach her or help her out if she seems interested.

Some people won't listen, but you may be able to help your friend.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'd agree to go out every once in a while (every day gets expensive fast, so whatever works for your budget!) I would either pick somewhere to go or ask if she can let you know the restaurant in advance. Then look up nutrition information and plan your meal. Many restaurants have nutrition information online... or you can always ask for advice here! I also love the idea of meeting at a park or somewhere you can bring your own food -- I used to do this quite a bit with a friend of mine (she was more health conscious than I was at the time... we just both didn't want to use money to eat out!) The bonus there is we would walk around and get some exercise as well! :)

Definitely order water eating out... I was looking over my food diary last night and amazed how much sodium there was in restaurant food, even places I could choose healthier options like Subway (though I guess lunch meat isn't very healthy either, but better than most restaurants!)

Also wanted to add: I think it is a good idea to figure out how to eat out at restaurants. When I was doing Weight Watchers a few years ago I ate out much more than I do now. I learned how to eat healthier at restaurants, and I am really grateful for that now, a few years later, when I am back on this weight loss journey. Drink water, order grilled/baked without sauces, seafood is good, watch the toppings on salads, and remember the phrase "on the side" :)
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    I actually find this quite easy. Eat your lunch prior to going out (at your desk while you work) and then just enjoy the conversation instead of eating at the restaurant.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is eating herself to death.

It sucks.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of eating at a park or something. Then, if she wants restaurant food, she can go get take-out and meet you there.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    You do not have to tell her no, just bring your lunch with you. I do that and so do a lot of my friends - we may all go "out" to eat for lunch, but some of us bring our own lunches while others order out. That way you can still hang out and control your food intake at the same time ;)
  • xandra
    xandra Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Eat This, Not That" restaurant books. They are very useful in deciding what to eat and what to avoid at restaurants.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the advice you've gotten already about how to handle the situation. I'd personally probably do a mixture of "no thanks" and eating at my desk beforehand and then maybe actually eat a meal at a restaurant once every 3-4 weeks (of if this is the only time you ever go out to eat, maybe once every 2 weeks or so).

But, I also agree with talking to her (or just showing her) how to eat healthier. It's not about her size -- yes you can certainly be beautiful being overweight -- it's about her health. I care about my friends an awful lot and I want them to be healthy and happy. I won't be pushy, but I will let them know what I'm doing to be healthier. If they're interested, I'll talk to them more. If they're not interested, I just continue mentioning things occasionally. I know I was so overweight because I had no idea what I was doing. If I had a friend talk to me about it more often while watching them have success, I probably would've figured this all out a long time ago.

A good example is my family. They're all overweight -- some are extremely obese while others, just a little overweight. I've been to see my family 3 times in the last 3 months. The first time, I convinced my mom to go for a bike ride and everyone else to go kayaking and canoing. That was great! The 2nd time, I played basketball by myself -- no luck getting anyone more active. Last time, I swam by myself -- again, no luck. But I'm going to keep doing what I want to do to be healthy whether anyone else joins in or not. Eventually someone is going to figure it out and join me again. :smile:

Sometimes I can convince my friends to get together for a game of tennis or mini golf. Sometimes I can only get them together at a bar or restaurant -- but I always start with an active suggestion rather than a sit-on-our-butts-consuming-excessive-calories suggestion. Tennis? No. Board games? No. Pot Luck? No. Bar & bar food? Bingo! But you know what? Sometimes we do play tennis or board games or have a pot luck with (mostly) healthy foods. Before I started making other suggestions, we'd just end up at a bar or restaurant every time.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    last week, i tagged along because they kept begging me. but still brought my packed lunch lol
    im sooooooo glad i had my own lunch cuz they chose to go to steak and shake! lol
    the waitress didnt mind at all that i had my own food... i bought a drink... and didnt feel ashamed at alllllll! it was funny =]
  • blackchick85
    Options
    last week, i tagged along because they kept begging me. but still brought my packed lunch lol
    im sooooooo glad i had my own lunch cuz they chose to go to steak and shake! lol
    the waitress didnt mind at all that i had my own food... i bought a drink... and didnt feel ashamed at alllllll! it was funny =]

i love this!!!!!