HRM accuracy vs phone apps

I have a Sportline HRM and I used it for the first time while walking & jogging. For the walk, the calorie burned seemed very accurate (or at least very close to what 4 of my walking apps read). Later in the workout, it seemed to have shown double than what the apps read, and at one point, about a minute after I stopped jogging and was just walking, it said that my HR was over 220 bpm. Does this seem right? I'm a 5 ft 8 in 32 y/o female @218 pounds. What has been your experience w the HRM cals vs phone apps cals?

Replies

• ianh5979
    ianh5979 Posts: 13 Member
    If HRM is programmed correctly with weight, height, age, sex then trust it over the apps as it measures HR continually
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    here's the trick,

a HRM makes a guess with all of your details in it and based on your activity level (by measuring your heart-rate)

the 'apps' make a guess based on the average person.

both are not completely accurate but the HRM will atleast be in the correct ballpark.

my HRM is within 10 cal of the MFP app for cardio on a stationary bike, but mfp is out by hundreds of calories for almost everything else.
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    I have a Sportline HRM and I used it for the first time while walking & jogging. For the walk, the calorie burned seemed very accurate (or at least very close to what 4 of my walking apps read). Later in the workout, it seemed to have shown double than what the apps read, and at one point, about a minute after I stopped jogging and was just walking, it said that my HR was over 220 bpm. Does this seem right? I'm a 5 ft 8 in 32 y/o female @218 pounds. What has been your experience w the HRM cals vs phone apps cals?

A HRM is much more accurate than what is on MFP. Weight, Intensity (and thus HR), etc will determine the calorie burn. 220 does not sound realistic (I am sure it is possible) but it sounds like that number is way off. Go ahead and google avg heart rate for jogging/walking. You will prob see numbers ranging from 100-170/180, maybe even a little higher but that is most likely someone running all out. And ballpark max HR can be caluclated by 220-age.

I am not sure about sport line, but I would look into something like a polar or garmin HRM.

Good luck!