Running and numb arm

Options
Hello,

I used to be a strong runner in my teens, i am now trying to run again and everytime i run i get a numb left arm. I know the normal warning signs that this could be heart related, but i am confident it is not as have seen a doctor and i cycle, do HIIT on exercise bikes and cross trainers and am fine.

I even get this when i play golf, it lasts into the evening and nothing makes it any better. Has anyone had experience of the same?

Replies

• d3gus
    d3gus Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Is it your arm or your hand?... numbness in your lower arm or hand can sometimes be related to carpel tunnel problems I used to get terrible numbess mucking out stables - i'm no doctor tho.
  • tknight1984
    Options
    its mainly lower arm and hand
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Do you run longer than you do other cardio? As you also get it while playing golf, it could be blood pooling. I get big, puffy hands during long runs or hikes, and have to run with my hands above my head for a while. It could also me a pinched nerve in your shoulder, affected by golf swings and running arm movements but not other exercises. Worth getting checked out either way.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    go bget checked out make sure its not your heart
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Go and see your doctor. It sounds like a pinched nerve, but you want to be certain it isn't heart-related.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    >>but i am confident it is not as have seen a doctor

And the doctor said, 'go away you, I don't have time for numb arms' ?
  • mlbqd3
    mlbqd3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do you run longer than you do other cardio? As you also get it while playing golf, it could be blood pooling. I get big, puffy hands during long runs or hikes, and have to run with my hands above my head for a while. It could also me a pinched nerve in your shoulder, affected by golf swings and running arm movements but not other exercises. Worth getting checked out either way.
    Agree with this.
    Most likely coming from some sort of nerve entrapment at shoulder elbow or hand.
    How long do you run before it comes on? How long does it last? How long does it take to go away? Have you ever had neck problems?
  • Linda345
    Options
    Seek medical advice for this. Could be heart problem, could be a nerve problem. For example, I have herniated discs that pinch off some nerves occasionally. This kind of thing could cause you a lot more problems if you don't get medical assistance and any appropriate physical therapy now.
  • Carachama
    Carachama Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Note where it is tingling in your hand. There are two nerves that run to your fingers, one to part of your middle finger the next finger and the pinky, and the other to the thumb to middle finger. If it is just one set or the other, it is a nerve that is being impinged upon. I have the such a problem in my right arm - a trapped ulnar nerve. Its not bad enough for surgery (yet), and can be managed with ibuprofen.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The only time I had numbness in my fingers was due to a herniated disc in my neck and surgery was required. I suggest going back to your doctor to find out what's going on and if they don't want to do anything about, then find another doctor.
  • tknight1984
    Options
    Thank you everyone, when it first occurred i went to the doctors as there is a history of heart disease in my family, this was 3 years ago, i was tested at the time for heart problems. They did find high cholesterol, but i am 28 now and pretty confident it isnt heart related.

It usually happens after the first mile and stays throughout the evening (i run about 5:30 and do 4-6 miles), then usually disrupts my sleep that night. It is also slightly numb when sitting at desk.

I have been to the doctors numerous times, but they are useless. I went 3 times and they told me to rest it and apply ice, i did and no progress (that was 3 years ago)
  • becjovincent
    becjovincent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue... I find if I take a squeeze ball or something to hold when I run, it helps ease it. For me, I have carpal tunnel & arthritis really bad, so my joints will swell & get tingly & numb.
    Try the squeezing thing & see if it helps.