Tell me about your job

Options
Mustang_Susie
Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
Does your employer have a relatively high or low turnover rate for new employees?

I'm a nurse and I see new nurses come and go all the time.

I assume it's the same for maybe fast food or retail etc.

But what about other jobs/careers?

Do you see new people come and go or have you been working with the same people for years?

Replies

• fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i'm a jill of all trades. i've been a waitress, hostess, tour guide, retail consultant, preschool teacher, the list goes on and on.

in my current position (preschool teaching) i see a few new teachers come and go every few weeks. some cant handle the pressure, some find better paying positions, some get canned for being stupid, etc.

when i worked at a resort, i was with the same group of people for 2+ years with only one or two employees coming or going.
  • confab151
    confab151 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd carreer, (retired from my 1st), and I agree with you . I'm in heathcare now, also = tremendous turnover. I think it may due to the overall employment apmosphere. There is very little loyalty now, both ways. It seems very 'every man (or woman) for them self. People here are very well compensated, so its not just about the $$, it has to be other factors as well.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd carreer, (retired from my 1st), and I agree with you . I'm in heathcare now, also = tremendous turnover. I think it may due to the overall employment apmosphere. There is very little loyalty now, both ways. It seems very 'every man (or woman) for them self. People here are very well compensated, so its not just about the $$, it has to be other factors as well.

What was it like with your first career?
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm a Travel Consultant which seems to have low turn over. My guess is because to get good sales (as its commission based) you need to have loyal customers and the perks are pretty good :)
  • 250mrsb
    250mrsb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I sell tires/wheels, but will be starting book-keeping for the same company. I love it!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I'm a Travel Consultant which seems to have low turn over. My guess is because to get good sales (as its commission based) you need to have loyal customers and the perks are pretty good :)

That makes sense.
    A nurse doesn't need to go looking for patients.
    Seems there's always a surplus :tongue:
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I work in IT. There is a noticeable amount of churn, but that is part of the industry. Going on 5 years, my current job is the longest I have worked at one company in quite a while, though my job function has changed 3 times. The majority of the people in my department have been there since I started. There seems to be something of a split - one segment which is relatively stable, and another segment where they just don't like or can't handle the job, or are chasing more dollars.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Its boring

That is all
  • xDMartinHx
    xDMartinHx Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Sound engineer / audio visual technician...........public address, video conference, tv distribution
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm a secretary in a small office. I've been here almost 13 years and the only other employee (other than the owners) has been here since the 90's.
  • bermudamel
    Options
    Phlebotomist aka vampire!
  • naterar
    naterar Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I work in IT and it is pretty stable at our company right now.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the rest of my company, but there is definitely a low turnover rate in new employees down in the IT department. We are a mix of software developers and a few infrastructure guys.

I've been here 2 years, and I've only seen one person go and one person take his place.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Do you see new people come and go or have you been working with the same people for years?

Submarine Communications Electronics Technician for the US Navy... depending on the crew, we have a very high turnover rate for new 'employees'. Everyone on a sub is trusted to save each other if there's a fire, flooding, depth charge, whatever... so if you're an idiot, you get removed. It's not (typically) a "we don't like this guy so he needs to go" kind of thing... it's a "I can't trust this person with my life, regardless of my personal opinion of them."

Being that ours is such a small community, every single place I go, I know at least 2 people there, so I end up working with the same people, but if you're not useful, you're out.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm 4 months into my job as a sanitarian at the largest cigarette manufacturer in the US. Even though I may be new, my company has such a low turnaround rate. Majority of our hiring/promotion is done from within the plant. Most people who work here have/will work here their entire lives. I work with people who have been here for 20-40 years and they absolutely love it. I'd have to attribute it to our amazing benefits. I love my job and I don't see myself going anywhere for a loooong time!
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was a hairdresser for 10 years, finished up my undergrad finally and now I work in medical research. Very low turn over as we're a small office, very cohesive and efficient. For the most part we all like one another, so that helps, too :)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    WHY? Are you working for the Feds? You ask too many questions...

tumblr_lsscoh5P2V1qe29fio1_400.gif
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm a manicurist, I make women beautiful or at least feel beautiful. :D Everyone has been here for 13 years.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I work for 911, and have a very high turnover rate due to the high stress, and demands of the job. In the 7 years I've been here, I have seen so many people come and go. Now I'm the training coordinator, and am hoping to help prepare the new hires before they get on the phones or start dispatching, so they are aware of the stress, and give them ways to help handle it.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I am recently retired from Human Resources. Last position was with a company that converted motorcycles to trikes. Experienced high turnover for young new hires. Those that made it past the first year tended to stay.