I'm broke and hungry!

Options
2»

Replies

• KateKatelyn
    Options
    I'm broke too, I rely on my parents mostly..I hate asking them for money but since I want to continue getting healthy I have to ask them. Are you able to get food stamps ? I would do that also.
  • kjericks6401
    kjericks6401 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The Salvation Army does a free hot lunch in many urban areas and they often have a good idea what other resources are available in the community. I used to drive a friend to the food shelf in my county and I was always suprised to see mass quantities of random produce (bagged lettuce that just expired and so forth) that you could take as much as you wanted, so there might be healthy options even if you don't have much income. Things like dried beans and lentils are actually good for you and were usually freely available at the food shelf as well.

If you do start couponing look for stores that double manufacturer coupons and try to use manufacturers coupons on items when they are on sale or on a store coupon for farther savings. I'm not an extreme couponer but have knocked as much as 1/3rd off my monthy grocery bill through smart coupon use. If you are worried about people judging you, go during times when the store is not as busy, like early on Saturday or Sunday morning so you don't feel like you are holding up the line.

It's stressful being broke and trying to eat healthy. Good luck and don't give up!
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think your hunger should be prioritized over dieting right now. Regardless of how much you lose, you won't get fit if you're starving all the time.
  • caribear1984
    Options
    Here's what I would do - call a local church and ask if they know of any resources like community meals or soup kitchens. They will be happy to help you. Also, call about your food stamps and see what is going on. In emergency cases, they are supposed to expidite your benefits. Call and bug them, and make sure they know how little food you have. I know how hard social anxiety can be, but you have to eat. I will be praying for you.
  • kirschenregen
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. They were definitely very helpful.
    I'm really going to have to make some serious effort do some couponing once I have some money. I know that'll help.
    Also, I'll probably be going to some other food pantries as well.

I think I have been doing pretty okay the past week or so though. It's mostly been the past day that I've really started to run out of food. The past week I've pretty much been living off of spaghetti. But I've tried to make it as healthy as I can with 100% whole wheat pasta, spinach, and lots of tomatos. I know that I'm eating way too much pasta though even if it is whole wheat.

And to answer someone's question about why I've been choosing to make it a serving size instead of watching calories, I don't really have an answer. I guess I just figured that it would help me with portion control. I always eat way more than a serving so I decided that measuring everything would help me control my portions. Although, everyday that I'm done logging my food I never have enough calories. For example, I feel like I totally pigged out on dinner. I even let myself have some whole wheat french bread with spinach artichoke dip and more than a serving of pasta yet I still have over 900 calories left after workout calories. -_-

I'm not very good at this diet stuff obviously. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to healthy eating or proper nutrition so I just decided to wing it. =/
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    A pound (bag) of dried beans is about a dollar and you can make burritos, chili, beans with veggies, beans with rice. Black beans, pinto beans, black eyed peas, kidney beans, white beans.....they last and go a long way. Protein and fiber too to make you feel fuller. Do you like pea soup and lentils? You can also get a pound of those for about a dollar. Chuck in a pot with a couple potatoes and some salt and it lasts awhile too (and filling, lots of protein and iron.) I'm sorry you are in this position. :( If you get hungry do you have family or friends who would help?
  • kirschenregen
    Options
    A pound (bag) of dried beans is about a dollar and you can make burritos, chili, beans with veggies, beans with rice. Black beans, pinto beans, black eyed peas, kidney beans, white beans.....they last and go a long way. Protein and fiber too to make you feel fuller. Do you like pea soup and lentils? You can also get a pound of those for about a dollar. Chuck in a pot with a couple potatoes and some salt and it lasts awhile too (and filling, lots of protein and iron.) I'm sorry you are in this position. :( If you get hungry do you have family or friends who would help?

My family are pretty broke as well. All on food stamps so no, not really.
    I do have a big bag of dried beans I was eyeballing earlier and the food pantry always has a bunch. I just suck at cooking so I haven't tried making them.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? You can use a regular pan too though. I love to throw them in the crockpot with some sea salt and spices (paprika or red pepper flakes are my favorite.) I do 6 cups of water (or broth for more flavor) to 1 bag (1 pound) of dried beans. You can top with anything you have on hand, tomatoes, peppers, etc. Do you have any room to grow anything where you are? Spring is coming and seeds are cheap. I know that doesn't help NOW but in a couple months it will be helpful...
  • kirschenregen
    Options
    Unfortunately, no to both. No crockpot (although I've seen them at Goodwill often) and nowhere to plant anything (I live in apartments).

I'll definitely look for a crockpot the next time I'm at Goodwill with money.
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For awhile last year, I lived on just boiled beans for dinner and oatmeal for breakfast. It gets old after while, but you survive. Dry beans are much much cheaper than canned, and haven't got added sodium. Even without a crockpot, bean soup doesn't take much more cooking skill than spaghetti, it just has to be cooked for longer at a lower heat. Depending on the variety, you may have to soak them, but it will tell you exactly how on the packaging. I did it last week for the first time, it helps!

Your spaghetti sounds tasty, and you could use the same sauce/veggie with your beans and it would come out nice. Broth and onions will also perk it up, if available.

I know it is tough balancing your desire for healthy food and eating what is available. This is why so many people living in poverty are also overweight. Please don't starve yourself rather than eat something that isn't optimally nutritious, though. You have to survive.

I also have chronic anxiety, so I also know how it feels in the gut to have to ask for assistance. I'm not religious, but I will always be grateful to the local Catholic food bank for keeping us kids from starving at one point. People who run assistance programs really do care and have big hearts, and they aren't going to think negatively about you for needing help.
  • kirschenregen
    Options
    For awhile last year, I lived on just boiled beans for dinner and oatmeal for breakfast. It gets old after while, but you survive. Dry beans are much much cheaper than canned, and haven't got added sodium. Even without a crockpot, bean soup doesn't take much more cooking skill than spaghetti, it just has to be cooked for longer at a lower heat. Depending on the variety, you may have to soak them, but it will tell you exactly how on the packaging. I did it last week for the first time, it helps!

Your spaghetti sounds tasty, and you could use the same sauce/veggie with your beans and it would come out nice. Broth and onions will also perk it up, if available.

I know it is tough balancing your desire for healthy food and eating what is available. This is why so many people living in poverty are also overweight. Please don't starve yourself rather than eat something that isn't optimally nutritious, though. You have to survive.

I also have chronic anxiety, so I also know how it feels in the gut to have to ask for assistance. I'm not religious, but I will always be grateful to the local Catholic food bank for keeping us kids from starving at one point. People who run assistance programs really do care and have big hearts, and they aren't going to think negatively about you for needing help.

I don't usually mind asking for help when it comes to assistance. It's just when it comes to being in the grocery store. I get super high anxiety in store. I dunno why. And like I said, I know it'd be even worse if I had a zillion coupons to ring up.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I actually just went to a food panty a few days ago but they didn't have all that much. At least not very healthy things. That's where I got the beans and the Hamburger Helper. Other than that I just got some canned veggies and fruit.

"food PANTY wasn't healthy but had beans and hamburger helper." LMAO Sorry, this just cracked me up. :laugh:

I'll be happy to give a little to cover you for a little while, I'll send you a message. Keeping to the desire to stay healthy is a great attitude, and is what keeps you going in the long run. Make the best decisions you can on food that will not only last longer but give you the nutrients you need. Don't give up and stay positive, keep taking steps to improve your life. Every second is a chance to turn your life around.
  • becjovincent
    becjovincent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Beans are cheap if you buy them in bulk & dry... also, you can find grocery store brand in frozen vegetables for cheap. They got on sale for $1.00 a bag around here. You can mix those vegetables with the beans to make a great healthy dinner. Also look for frozen fruits on sale for smoothies.

I know its hard to eat heatlhy when money is an issue so best of luck!!
  • rachiech13
    rachiech13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Look at nourishing your body to stay alive over dieting...try to stay healthy.
    Reach out to friends and loved ones, you are not a burden, I'm positive they would love to help you out.

We all go through rough times and some of us choose to do it alone.
    You should try doing some research about social assistance online, try to get on welfare for the period of time you really need it.

Goodluck! Please take care of yourself!