Early Morning Workout. HELP NEEDED!!

Options
Is it better to eat before a very early morning workout? I understand the body needs energy to burn fat and after a long night of sleep your body has pretty much burned up and absorbed the nutrients of the meal from the day before but i usually just wake up and take my pre-workout (C4) 15-20 minutes before i do intense cardio and never eat until after my workout. Only reason im asking is because ive hit a plateau with my weight loss and im wondering if it's because my body doesn't have sufficient nutrients and energy to be burning the fat?

Replies

• veganbabe133
    veganbabe133 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends on the individual. For me, I have to eat or I would faint, but I think there is something to be said for working out while fasted. If you are doing intense cardio, I would definitely get some carbs in my body before I did anything.
  • becjovincent
    becjovincent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I too feel like its what your body is used to.

I also have to eat before I work out or I'd not make it... but saying that, I have to eat about an hour before I work out to let the food digest.

My husband can go out & run a half marathon with nothing in his stomach though.

I think you always need something in your system to burn - even if its a smoothie or one piece of toast with PB for protein.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I normally have a little something to eat before running if I'm going out early morning - but I didn't yesterday (other than the essential black coffee!). Don't think it made any difference to how I felt at all. I think the body is a more complex thing than 'oh, I've had no food this morning, I can't do this exercise' as long as you're eating a healthy amount every day...
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I agree it depends on the person. When I first started working out, I had to make sure to have something in my stomach, but now I prefer to workout first thing in the morning & on an empty stomach. It's just trial and error :smile: