Green smoothies.

Options
I've read many things online with people who swear up and down that they are the best things that have ever happened to them. They get in their veggies, and it tastes like fruit! But I don't know, so I'm bringing it to you guys. Yay or nay? Do you like them? Do you hate them? Is it easier to just eat a salad? Do you use them as meal replacements, or supplements?

Replies

• KatyCrum6969
    KatyCrum6969 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    :/
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Nay. Honestly, just learn to like veggies. Raw spinach is actually pretty wonderful in salads ( or sautéed in a little Pam with an egg in the morning). No linger to cook....tons less calories, all the fiber.

Why liquefy it?
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love them. I drink one every couple of days. For me its hard to stomach raw kale, or some other greens and this is a good way to get them in. Why not try them. They are healthy and good. If its a way for you to get your green veggies in why not?
  • KatyCrum6969
    KatyCrum6969 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bumppppppp.
  • kjhall01
    kjhall01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really love them. I have one for breakfast about 6 days a week. I find they give me lots of energy. I usually drink one and then an hour later do a cardio workout. The days that I have worked out without having a green smoothie first, I could hardly finish my workout and I was dying. I like eating salads and greens just fine but I just find that the green smoothie gives me so much more to start my day. Not to mention they are delicious.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like them, I'm not a huge salad person so it gets in greens. I use them as meal replacement usually with some meal powder, fruit, tea, seeds ect..sometimes as a snack I'll leave out the extras
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The only greens that go in my smoothies from time to time is spinach. They have no taste at all, usually throw them in with a banana and whatever berries I have in hand with a splash of milk.

I'm a creature of habit so I tend not to go crazy when it comes to my smoothies lol
  • heartransplants
    Options
    It is so true! All my smoothies are green. I throw in my fruits but also throw in some fresh spinach and kale. You really can not taste it, and it fresh. Don't knock it till you try it. ;D
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I usually start my day with one along with a small bowl of cereal or oatmeal. It makes me feel good inside - and I miss it when I don't make one. When I started, I felt that 50g spinach was the limit where I couldn't taste it. At 80ish g I thought it was gross (but I got used to it and don't notice anymore). Also try to get vitamin C around the same time or wilt the spinach slightly by a quick round in the microwave/steam briefly for increased iron absorption. Our bodies don't readily absorb most of the iron in spinach without help.

I'm not sure about kale, since I've never used it. I have, though, tossed in misc veg or fruit that needed to be used up. It's interesting sometimes.
  • greatbraveyear
    Options
    Love them! I do them on weekends after my morning workouts. I love a good salad too, but it takes forever to prepare, and then to sit down and eat it, chomping and chomping away... I'm too busy! I love blending fresh fruit or frozen with a few big handfuls of spinach, pouring this delicious smoothie loaded with vitamins and energy into a glass and taking it with me around the house while I do my weekend chores... upstairs to clean the bedroom, downstairs to do the laundry, and by the time I make it back to the main level (I live in a townhouse), I'm done with my smoothie and haven't missed a beat. I like that it's fast and convenient and you can get really creative. The trick is knowing what blend of milk or juice, fruit, and supplements you like to blend in with the spinach. I learned what I love through trial and error, but it didn't take me long. I buy the fruit that's on sale at the store (organic for the best vitamins and flavor). I like blending the liquid and the spinach first, especially if you have an older blender like mine, to make sure the spinach is well pulverized and you don't end up with a random leaf in your mouth. My easy default is 4-8 oz of almond milk or rice milk depending on how thick you want the milkshake, 2-3 handfuls of baby spinach, blended well. Then add one banana, a handful of frozen blueberries, and a tablespoon of chia or flax seeds if you have them. I've also tried a whole mango and half avocado with coconut milk instead of the almond milk/banana/berries, and it's really good and creamy and tropical. Also, if it doesn't bother you, I do one whole egg and one egg white raw in the blender last thing before I drink the shake. Keep all fruit frozen and liquids cold so the smoothie doesn't get warm as you blend. If your blender can take it, it would be good to add a couple ice cubes. Have fun! And don't be discouraged if you totally miss the mark on taste once in a while, it's all part of figuring out what you like, and it's worth it when you find the perfect recipe for your lifestyle and fitness.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I love 'em. My go-to recipe makes enough for two, large, smoothies around 210-240 calories each:

85g Kale
    85g Spinach
    1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    1 1/4 cup Water
    28g Unsweetened protein powder
    Half a red bell pepper (60-70g)
    Half a cucumber, seeded (120-150g)
    90-100g Radishes
    90-100g Carrot
    25-28g Avocado (about 1/4 of a medium avocado)
    Half a frozen banana (55-65g)
    60-75g frozen fruit (I rotated around blueberries, pineapple, blackberries, and strawberries, depending on what was on sale in the produce section)

I blend it all up in a Ninja blender and split it evenly between two water bottles. I'll use each one as either a breakfast or lunch meal replacement. Sometimes I'll have one for breakfast and lunch, but that's usually only after a really bad few days of vacation eating. Heheh
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I mix 10-20 cups of spinach
    1-5 cups of kale (steamed)
    Banana
    Coconut oil
    Cucumber
    Ginger
    1-2 scoops of chocolate genuine health vegan proteins (helps reduce my chocolate cravings)

Sometimes I add berries too.
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about getting your greens in and not taste them among the ones with berries and a banana
    Try this --> Blend A handful of Spinach with some Orange Juice (I promise you will not even taste the spinach)
    Great way to get the Greens in :)
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Purchasing a Vitamix tomorrow through Whole Foods thanks to my Reno winnings! We make a fantastic smoothie called Tropical Green in the bakery, it includes banana, pineapple, mango (optional, really), coconut water, and lots of kale. They're so damn good. If I'm steering clear of the sugar, I'll use 1/2 coconut water, and 1/2 water instead. Oh, and adding a nice scoop of whey protein = delicious and filling meal replacement.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipe
    Handful of spinach or kale (or a mix of both)
    Blend it up
    Throw in a banana
    Blend that up
    Fruit of your choice (can be frozen or fresh, I tend to use both just depending on my mood)
    I use water as my liquid but you can also use almond milk or orange juice.
    If you use fresh everything you will need to add some ice to make it more smoothie like.
  • becjovincent
    becjovincent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies.. I actually like when mine turn out PURPLE :) Put in all the greens, but add blueberries & strawberries... Purple smoothies are my favorite. But if you add enough fruit, it always drowns out the veggie taste.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I drink one every couple days. 2 cups kale, half cup cottage cheese and half cup bolthouse gree machine juice. It's usually my before bed snack. Salads take me forever to eat, so it's fast and has all the great nutrients my body needs.
  • Whipppets
    Options
    I have always been jealous of people who can eat salads.. I hate vegetables, but ever since I read the book by
    Dr. Fuhrman where he said to drink your vegetables, my weight is easier to maintain and I get lots of vegetables daily.
    I put in a jalepano pepper, celery, cucumber, carrots and any frozen vegetable I can find mixed with frozen berries and almond milk, a touch of peanut butter and v8fusion juice.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Actually, I do both. I will have a green smoothie for breakfast but salad for lunch and/or dinner

I include all types of greens, spinach, arugula in my smoothie in the morning; I will say the more bitter the green include freshly squeezed orange juice to help cut the bitter and I include berries, peaches, pears in the smoothie as well as hemp protein powder (b/c it is raw and as no additives), I also sometimes add hemp seeds or flax seeds and either raw almond butter or natural peanut butter.
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I made a new recipe: Zucchini & Mushroom loaf this evening (experimenting with meatless main meals) and during that effort squeezed the fresh grated zukes over a sieve. There was just 1/4 cup of magic green juice. Then randomly, I thought I might pour the juice into a glass for a taste. It was surprisingly yummy!

After that revelation, I might just have to try out HypersonicFit's recipe above!! :happy: