Your database....Your fridge

Options
rcatr
rcatr Posts: 374 Member
A thought...A question.

I overate last night. Big time.
I feel like I just kept walking back and forth to my fridge and getting things. Out of boredom, stress...who knows.

That aside...I wonder...Is my fridge too full? Do you keep your fridge too full? If I only had enough for my next meal, would I have kept eating my face off last night. I might make the effort to start keeping only my next meal or two in there and in my cupboards. I live alone so it's possible. I know that would be tougher for those with families.

Next...
Your MFP food database...
Is it extensive? Do you have a lot of options? I do. Of course, it saves every food I ever put in to my database but I think maybe I need to streamline what I eat to a few things while I'm trying to stay on task. Maybe that's just me. What about you guys?

Replies

• Jenny_Bee
    Jenny_Bee Posts: 102
    Options
    oh my gosh, I know how you feel, going back and forth to the fridge. I live with my barents and two older brothers. My brothers have great metabolisms, and so does my boyfriend. So whenever I go out with the boy, or stay home and watch a movie with the family, I just keep eating. The fridge and cupboards are always packed with stuff i shouldn't be eating... but I'm the youngest, I don't buy the groceries, I just eat what's provided for me...../ Now, this isn't to say that ALL we have is junk food, but you get the idea. If it were my house, everything would be justthe way I want it. Fridge and all. lol
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is exactly what you're asking... but I have to keep variety in my diet or I get seriously bored. Like, this time around... I have 3 different fruits to choose from for my breakfast and afternoon snack... 2 types of chicken (deli meat and a breast) to choose from for lunch... some rice or veggies for a side (I don't like doing more than 1 side, typically). I keep at least 2 separate kinds of meats at home (lean ground beef and chicken this time) and at least 2 different vegetables and a couple different pastas (I'm trying Barilla's plus line and I love the rotini! Also got some veggie mac rotini and some Barilla plus spaghetti noodles - because when we DO have pasta, I realize I need the whole wheat). I try not to keep desserty type foods around. I have a bag of semi-sweet real chocolate chips in the freezer at work for those times I get a craving. I ONLY eat a tbsp and I add it into my day... or usually just grab 2 or 3 if I get a craving & know it won't fit into my calorie goal. The only other options are fruit. When at home or on weekends, we usually just go for fro yo because I don't keep dessert stuff, mainly because I'll eat it all since my bf doesn't have much of a sweet tooth except on rare occasions.

I've noticed since eating better...my fridge has been very empty. So it's possible that might help.
  • catfan
    catfan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think you are right about the frig being to full because on Friday after I go to the grocery store I have a hard time staying out of everything. When the food thins down and I have to make it last I do so much better..I have 3 kids though so I cant rearrange my grocery store trips but with you living alone I say go for it:smile:
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    What were you eating? I try not to keep the bad stuff in my house but we are too busy to shop once a day (if that is what you mean).
    When you say MFP database, do you mean the meals saved? I am such a horrible cook so I keep things simple so I dont have a lot LOL
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I have basically the same foods but made different ways. We are big on boneless skinless chicken tenderloins and ground turkey. You can do so many different things with both. For dinner, we typically have either one of those with a side of greens. We buy those huge tubs of Fresh Express Ruby Reds/Spring Mix. We eat that with pretty much every meal, even breakfast. Lots of veggies and fruit. We were doing Jasmine Rice with our meals but have recently decided to cut back on the rice a bit but that's only because I'm trying to lose 10lbs by July 1st. We may go back to rice every night but for now I am staying clear.

Last night's dinner was a turkey burger (no bun) with mixed veggies (corn, carrots, green beans) and a whole mess of greens (Fresh Express).
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    What were you eating? I try not to keep the bad stuff in my house but we are too busy to shop once a day (if that is what you mean).
    When you say MFP database, do you mean the meals saved? I am such a horrible cook so I keep things simple so I dont have a lot LOL
    I was eating skinny cow truffle bars (yes..BARS..plural) and hummus and rice cakes ...all of this after I had already had my dinner. maybe I can lock my fridge.. :laugh:

With regard to database, I'm just wondering if by having too many options - I don't want to streamline so much that i'm eating the same thing every day ..maybe evry few days - that I end up buying too many foods for my fridge AND I end up overeating. I dunno...just trying to figure it out I guess.
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    I was eating skinny cow truffle bars (yes..BARS..plural) and hummus and rice cakes ...all of this after I had already had my dinner. maybe I can lock my fridge.. :laugh:

With regard to database, I'm just wondering if by having too many options - I don't want to streamline so much that i'm eating the same thing every day ..maybe evry few days - that I end up buying too many foods for my fridge AND I end up overeating. I dunno...just trying to figure it out I guess.

mmm skinny cow! I stocked up with 4 boxes because they were MUCH cheaper when I saw them at Walmart yesterday Eeeek...maybe you can get a mini fridge with a combo lock that requires two other people to open it, that way by the time they get there the cravings go away :P
    I chew gum all the time to keep the bored munchies down, well I quit smoking in Dec so that is part of it too...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    We generally have a lot of food available. Time restraints & buying in bulk keep us mostly stocked, with a weekly trip to pick up things more quickly consumed.

But there are times we get lazy and there is "nothing to eat" and that makes dieting pretty easy :)