Runtastic vs Runkeeper?

Options
2»

Replies

• aschild
    Options
    I've used runkeeper for a while. VERY easy to use but I recently switched to Endomondo b/c it syncs with MFP. I haven't used runtastic. I will tell you so far, Endomondo is too cumbersome to exit out of (will stay active even if you close out the app). It is too many steps just to manually enter workouts. Runkeeper just has GPS or Manual on the 1st page. And some of the features on runkeeper are free vs paid add-ons for endomondo.
    Hopefully, MFP will connect with runkeeper soon.
  • JMoscaH
    Options
    Interesting to see this debate has been running for such a long time. I wish MFP would just link up with Runkeeper and make it easier for all of us. I have been using Runkeeper for a long time and like to use it for setting goals and tracking my total distances. I've been tracking with Runkeeper for so long now that I don't want to switch and lose all my history. I also sometimes use ismoothrun, which syncs nicely with Runkeeper and automatically adds in distances and times. It doesn't sync with MFP either though. Sigh.
  • masquerade16
    Options
    i 've been using endomondo for months but made the mistake of updating to the latest version. now, i'm getting inaccurate results & one time the distance even stopped at 1km despite good GPS coverage. i will be trying runkeeper & runtastic this week.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any further thoughts on Endomondo vs Runtastic. I like that they link up automatically but I have been getting very different results from each app. The calories burned on Endomondo seem very high. From what I've read above I might stick to Runtastic or Runkeeper, unless anyone can help!?

That was my experience with Endomondo, too. HUGELY overestimated calories burnt which played merry hell with MFP calculations. I unlinked them and now use Runkeeper almost exclusively. Also, it's probably just me being a dill but once I start Endomondo it's really difficult to turn it off. Eventually I usually have to restart my (Android) phone to get rid of the open application.
  • masquerade16
    Options
    i just recently tried some apps to replace the malfunctioning endomondo & it is confusing regarding their calories burned. for my usual bike route w/c endomondo always logged around 150 cal, i got a whopping 400+ on runkeeper, a slightly lower 130+ on runtastic, & a slightly higher 200+ on cardiotrainer. i double -checked my weight input on each one & it checks out right.

hoping endomondo gets fixed, as it links to both other apps i use - MFP & earndit.

for RT & RK, RK has more available for its free version, though the calories log is really something to be skeptical about.
  • karebear111
    karebear111 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So I got the Runtastic Pro - it was a free app of the day for my iphone a few weeks ago. Has anyone used the training plans? I've been trying to find some reviews, but haven't really found anything specifically on the training plans themselves. They have several (for purchase - which is okay) but I don't want to purchase something that I can't find detailed information about. If you've tried the training apps, how did you like them? Did you use the beginner plan(s) or one of the other options. So far, I like the app, but just am looking for a little more info.
  • shafzzzz
    shafzzzz Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been using Runkeeper Pro for a while. My Husband started using Endomondo. When we compared notes for the distance travelled and the time we took, he burned double the calories for running the same distance as me.
    This made me inquisitive ;) so i tried both the apps simultaneously.
    Both apps showed a difference of few seconds in completion time and distance covered but a endomondo showed i had burnt 450 cals while runkeeper showed 275!!!
    So i tested endomondo again. If you just start the endomondo app, even without any movement the calorie counter starts whereas runkeeper starts the calorie counter only when some distance has been covered.
    Endomondo doesnt seem too accurate to me therefore my conclusion is to stick to Runkeeper ;)
  • xstephiejadex
    xstephiejadex Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello, i wonder if people who use both can help! I used runtastic and run keeper on my workout today to see which one i liked more and came upon a huge problem. Runtastic told me i burned 310 calories where as run keeper said i burned 193??? It was a 40 minute interval training session ( day 2 week 1 of couch to 5k) which one is more reliable to log?
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello, i wonder if people who use both can help! I used runtastic and run keeper on my workout today to see which one i liked more and came upon a huge problem. Runtastic told me i burned 310 calories where as run keeper said i burned 193??? It was a 40 minute interval training session ( day 2 week 1 of couch to 5k) which one is more reliable to log?

Seems every app has it's own formula for calculating calories burned when exercising. They depend much on the setting you enter regarding your fitness, weight, etc. Most come up with values that are reasonably close, if you don't look to hard. Double check your settings. There might be a problem with one or the other.

I use Runtastic when running as I think it does a fine job and most of the time the calories match within 10% of the number that MFP calculates.

BTW, I also did C25K earlier this year - keep it going, it really worked for me. I ran my first 5K at the end of March and now I'm running more than 4 miles as well as doing lots of other exercise, all part of training for my first Triathlon in June.

-Bob
  • caiu5
    caiu5 Posts: 1
    Options
    i see no one takes into account the Live Tracking, here i think runtastic has a plus as it seams it updates more frequently and it also draws the track as u go...
    another point (subjective) for me at least is how many of my friends or ppl from my town use it, so that we can compare or compete against each other
    creating a race and inviting friends is another feature which would be nice to have (i think runkeeper has it already)
    another feature (optional) to get notifcations in the phone app about friends that are live tracking, and maybe are also near you

i use both RT and RK, i like RT more because of the live tracking
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    I have both on my phone, but my runkeeper isn't working properly since I updated it. Anyone else having issues with it too?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I prefer runkeeper over runtastic (GUI mainly, and that's probably because I've been using it too long to change my mind now). Funnily enough though, just a week before they finally got MFP integration going, I switched to Nike+ because the GPS in my phone would randomly add 10 miles here and there. With the shoe sensor, the accuracy is about +-10% which I can live with for now.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I also use runkeeper and LOVE it! I'm a walker - it does everything I want it to in the free version. Would I buy the pro? nope - don't need to. and it integrates perfectly with MFP.

I love:
    the maps
    the feedback when I want it (I've set it to 10 minutes)
    the integration in MFP
    and everything else about it!
  • suzieq1146
    suzieq1146 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've used Addidas Micoach and now use Runkeeper as it syncs with My Fitnesspal. So personally I'd go with Runkeeper.
  • kblair210
    Options
    i see no one takes into account the Live Tracking, here i think runtastic has a plus as it seams it updates more frequently and it also draws the track as u go...
    another point (subjective) for me at least is how many of my friends or ppl from my town use it, so that we can compare or compete against each other
    creating a race and inviting friends is another feature which would be nice to have (i think runkeeper has it already)
    another feature (optional) to get notifcations in the phone app about friends that are live tracking, and maybe are also near you

i use both RT and RK, i like RT more because of the live tracking

I know this is an old post, but to address this from personal experience.. I have stuck with Runtastic for a while now mainly because of this live tracking feature. However the absolutely insane amount pushy marketing this company does has really turned me off to all their products. I've been a Gold subscriber for several years and just cancelled. The live tracking is nice, but it's gone up to nearly $35 a year for Gold (required for live tracking) versus RunKeeper Elite only being $20 a year.

The only difference between RT and RK live tracking is that Runtastic allows people to send you 'motivation' sounds while you're out and about. The first time it happens it freaks you out because you're not expecting some weird sound in your headphones. The next time it's pretty nifty. After a while however it's simply not very special and you'll find lots of people actually have it disabled. Definitely not $15 extra special.

From a purely 'app on the phone' point of view they're really so close there's not much of a difference to speak of. They both have their good and bad days for GPS accuracy and both pretty much tell you the same thing. On Runtastic you can change the fields it displays while doing your activity which is nice, with Runkeeper they are set to what they are (e.g. MPH, Distance, Time). I personally kind of like the Runkeeper UI better. One annoying note, lately the Runtastic app doesn't appear to be sharing with Facebook correctly. Sometimes it'll post to FB even though it says it can't, other times it truly can't.

The Runtastic web site seems like it has more to see, but lately it's been getting really slow and unresponsive. Not to mention all the additional products they advertise and try to sell you on their web site. I'm not a fan of the layout of the 'newer' RunKeeper web site, but it's better than Runtastic. With all of the things RunKeeper links to, the lower cost and the huge user base, you really can't go wrong with it. Not to mention the app is free.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Found this old post looking for info on training part of runtastic. They have several choices for 10K and half based on time you want to hit. Problem is I don't know what I should choose because I have never run either. I am currently running about 90 miles a month now. Anyway I am very invested in runtastic ecosystem, pro and gold and just got a HRM. RT just updated the UI so I am still feeling my way around it. Works well but I have never tried RK. If I use and get value out of a app then I am happy to pay for the bells and whistles. Both of these apps should improve over time. Happy running!
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I use run keeper. It does everything I want it to do, plus it syncs with MFP. I haven't tried the others, so I cant really say why I like it better,