Weight loss after a break up

Options
My girlfriend recently broke up with me after 4 years a few days ago, and I am wondering if there is any advice to help stay motivated in weight loss during the heavy emotional state. Anything that anyone did to help them stay pushing instead of giving in more often then they should?

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend recently broke up with me after 4 years a few days ago, and I am wondering if there is any advice to help stay motivated in weight loss during the heavy emotional state. Anything that anyone did to help them stay pushing instead of giving in more often then they should?

sorry man, I know it's rough.

You'll kick yourself in a few months if you gain weight because you're going to want to lose weight regardless, might as well start now, and also working out is a great outlet for stress and frustration.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Exercise! It will make you feel SO much better about life. It's exhilaration, and those endorphins will keep your mood up all day. And if you're like me, eating healthy food helps you feel better overall. So make it a discipline to work out and eat right not so much for weight loss, but for your emotional health. That's what got me out the door everyday when I broke up with my boyfriend-knowing the 30 min run was going to make me feel emotionally stronger.
  • Bel0602
    Bel0602 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I enjoy exercising when I'm upset. It definitely helps me release all the negativity I have bottled up inside. You can do it! :D
  • caribear1984
    Options
    I went through this not too long ago. I decided that I was going to use the experience as a chance to better myself. Exercise is a great antidepressant, too. Plus the "I'll show them" factor shouldn't be overlooked. Give yourself time to mourn, but don't let it stop you from doing what's right for you.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Sorry, breakups suck.

Just keep thinking towards the future. Focus on yourself and surround yourself with positive people. The looking forward to the moment you see them again and can think "damn look how awesome I look now - your loss" approach doesn't hurt either. Chin up :)
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I had an experience where I had a serious falling out with someone whom I thought was more of a friend than they turned out to really be. Not as bad as your breakup situation, but it actually made me a lot stronger. At first your illusions get shattered when you realise you're on your own now, but I used that to drive me harder and stand up for myself.

I feel like the true key to success in weight loss (if such a thing exists) is finally standing up, looking at yourself honestly, looking at where you want to be, and having the balls to take control of your life.

Don't let this break you -- you're better than that.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Don't let a break up give you an excuse to not work on you. It would be way to easy to just give in and do nothing. You must take care of yourself. Working out and pushing yourself may be just the thing to help you through this too. Good luck.
  • winterswish
    Options
    As rough as a breakup can be (I recently divorced, tell me about it!) it's always a chance to take a hard look at ourselves and find out how strong we truly are. For me, regaining control of my life took the form of regaining control of my body.

Also, I made a killer playlist for working out that got me fired up about being single and (even though I still care about them...) sticking it to 'em when I look hot!

Ridin' Solo (J. Derulo)
    Gives You Hell (love this one! American Rejects)
    Fighter (C. Aguilera)
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's almost the perfect excuse to DO BETTER..., after all, as they say, "living well is the best revenge"
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    The best revenge and way to move forward is to reassess your life. What were/are your weak areas? If you see any, then spend this time working on them, fulfilling yourself. After reading some of your goals, now would be the time to dedicate yourself to those goals and make it happen.

I have similar goals myself, its kinda eery.

You can do it man. Use it for fuel, the pain, even emotional variety, will be temporary and when you reach your goals, you shall be vindicated.

And then, pick up a new babe.

All you have to do is want it.

Then take that first crucial step and keep moving.

No retreat, no surrender.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I agree that if nothing else works - revenge is now your friend!!! Just say "I'll show her that I am a strong, important and motivated person. It is her loss that she left. You are moving on, getting healthy and piss on her.

Sounds mean but... it is your life and you deserve someone to cherish you!!!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    To be honest, my last break up was what motivated me to lose the weight I have so far.
    To begin with it was tough, I starved myself for 3 days because the idea of doing anything other than lay in bed and cry was too much for me (haha). But then I went straight back to comfort eating and to be honest that is what motivated me to do something about it.
    Since I have lost weight (I've lost roughly 20lbs, dropped 3 dress sizes) I have learnt so much about myself and learnt to love myself and now when I look back and think of him all I think is how stupid I was to have been so upset.

If anything, exercise and weight loss can be pretty beneficial to help you getting over a tough break up!

PLUS the satisfaction that the next time I see him he is going to be kicking himself!
  • tcurtius
    Options
    Sorry to hear this, man. You've been doing an awesome job so far. Just keep up your focus and don't take your eye off the prize.
  • kschueller
    kschueller Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am going through this myself right now. My boyfriend of 2 years ended our relationship on Monday. I am struggling to get to the gym and even eat anything at all. I just have no motivation, so i'm totally in the same boat. I am noticing that I have to "force" myself to go out and do things, talk to friends, but after I do, I generally feel better.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I went through a break-up two weeks ago. It's such a shock to your routine that the last thing you need to do is disrupt it even further by not working out. And getting some exercise will make you feel better. As for diet, I don't think there's anything wrong with cutting back on food for a few days if you're not hungry, but don't go the other direction and pig out on junk. You will regret that later.

Mentally, try thinking of it as a door opening for you to find something that's better for you. I know that's not easy, especially after 4 years with someone, but it's all you can do. Don't become mired in the trap of self-pity. Figure out how you can be a better person for a woman who deserves a front row seat in your life.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a priority.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I went through this not too long ago. I decided that I was going to use the experience as a chance to better myself. Exercise is a great antidepressant, too. Plus the "I'll show them" factor shouldn't be overlooked. Give yourself time to mourn, but don't let it stop you from doing what's right for you.

This.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I went through a breakup a couple weeks ago now. I used my anger and my discouragement (and all other negative feelings) to really kill my workouts. Keep that adrenaline pumping and any time you go to reach for food, ask yourself if you're actually hungry, or if you're stuffing feelings.

It's definitely hard to push through but FORCE yourself to work out. Afterwards you'll feel mentally better and stronger. If you eat your emotions, it's a lose/lose. You'll gain weight, and you'll feel terrible about yourself.

Don't let this hinder you. She can't take this away from you!
  • emmamaree71
    Options
    this may be shallow... but... being hot is the best revenge

:)
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Exercise! It will make you feel SO much better about life. It's exhilaration, and those endorphins will keep your mood up all day. And if you're like me, eating healthy food helps you feel better overall. So make it a discipline to work out and eat right not so much for weight loss, but for your emotional health. That's what got me out the door everyday when I broke up with my boyfriend-knowing the 30 min run was going to make me feel emotionally stronger.

I agree with this.. I have major depression and exercise and healthy eating has helped me more than any pill out there (just me I can't speak for everyone battling this). Working out helps you zone out and just focus on yourself. Give attention to yourself because you deserve it!