Phentermine 37.5 - Advice Needed

Options
Hi All,

I have been taking Phentermine 37.5 for about a year with a doctors prescription and regular check-ups and using WeightWatchers. I have 10lbs til my ultimate goal weight. I have lost a total of almost 20lbs since starting. (most of my weight loss was emotional during a hard time in my life)

I can feel that it's effects have worn out on me. However, I am hearing that there is a major chance that your weight comes back on...whether you eat the same / workout the same or not. I have come to a place finally where I am proud of myself, my self-esteem is up and I am beginning to date. I have about 1 month left and am a mess with anxiety about gaining my weight back.

Did anyone NOT gain weight after they stopped taking phentermine?

I don't know if it's a mental thing -- taking my phentermine and now feeling hungry or being able to satisfy my hunger quicker. My my fear out weighs my risks.

-- Any information you have I'd appreciate.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• purekaos26
    Options
    I wish I could help - I took it for about a month before I stopped taking it, and gained all the weight I lost while I was on it back! :( Seems to be a fairly common thing - once you're off it, unless you've made a significant lifestyle change, you're going to gain the weight back.

Good Luck!!
  • sherrygrace12
    Options
    I have been on it twice and yes the weight comes back on, unless you really change your eating habits and fitness. I hated the side effects of it and vow to do this on my own this time. Feel free to add me
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    The weight doesn't have to come back. I was on it, then went off it, and kept the weight off for almost 9 months. I'm going back on it to continue on losing the rest of the weight I want to lose. My Dr. wanted me to take breaks in the phentermine every couple months and I just never got back to him, then I quite dieting for a bit. I gained back a bit of the water weight but it was less then 10lbs total. You can do it, just remember, if you start to plow through the junk food after you are done dieting, yes you will gain the weight back.. phentermine or not!
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I have been on it twice and yes the weight comes back on, unless you really change your eating habits and fitness. I hated the side effects of it and vow to do this on my own this time. Feel free to add me

AGREE!!!!
    The results are Amazing ( short term) but unless you learn to eat right and exercise you will most likely gain the weight back you lost and then some.

Dr. recommended a friend of mine who used it to take breaks every 3 months so your body doesn't become dependent on them.

GOOD LUCK!
  • somedayistoday
    Options
    Thank you all! I appreciate it. I have made healthy changes since being on Phentermine, and will continue my Zumba, WW and eating properly. It's the thought of doing all that AND gaining weight that really scares me.

One last question -- when your doctors took you off Phentermine, was it gradual or all did you just stop?

Thanks again!!! Appreciate all the information.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I appreciate it. I have made healthy changes since being on Phentermine, and will continue my Zumba, WW and eating properly. It's the thought of doing all that AND gaining weight that really scares me.

One last question -- when your doctors took you off Phentermine, was it gradual or all did you just stop?

Thanks again!!! Appreciate all the information.

should be gradual.
  • shaglund01
    Options
    I have struggled with weight loss for years and this has never been recommended. Do you have to be overweight by a certain % for a doctor to prescribe it?