Eat more?? What about us older ones?

Options
I have read a lot in here about eating more to lose but I also see that most of you are young. For us older 60 +, who are tall, whose exercise is walking the dog at a medium pace can we expect the same results uing the BMR & TDEE calulator results and really eat that many calories and lose?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You should. You have to try it for a few weeks and see if it works for you.

The problem with eating less is that while it does work for weight loss you also lose your muscle in the process. Less muscle means less calories burned at rest.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If you fill in the TDEE calculator correctly and accurately then yes, you can expect similar results.
    However there is a lot of advice floating around which may not apply such as eating back exercise calories, "macros" (fat vs protein vs carbs %), etc. because you would not be considered to be doing vigorous exercise which requires the body to fuel itself.
    But overall, I think most of it still applies and you just need to think logically and sensibly about what you read to decide if it would apply to your lifestyle.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot in here about eating more to lose but I also see that most of you are young. For us older 60 +, who are tall, whose exercise is walking the dog at a medium pace can we expect the same results uing the BMR & TDEE calulator results and really eat that many calories and lose?

The calculators take age into consideration!

However, age is no excuse for exercise. Strength training is especially important as we age because combined with proper nutrition, it builds bones, as well as muscles!
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    53 here. And, after my daughter-in-law badgered me about eating too little, I finally upped my cals and started eating back excercise. I'm losing at nearly twice the rate I was when I was eating less and not eating my exercise back.

I don't know if that's typical for an Old :wink: or not, but I'm glad I risked finding out.
  • littleblackcar
    Options

The calculators take age into consideration!

However, age is no excuse for exercise. Strength training is especially important as we age because combined with proper nutrition, it builds bones, as well as muscles!

^^ this! My mother's (age 66) doctor is always on her case to do more exercise. She has physical limitations and there are a lot of things she can't do, but she can swim or do water aerobics and some other things that don't involve a lot of pressure on her feet.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The calculators are all estimates, remember. SO your first calorie target may not be correct; it could be too low or too high. Every piece of information I have read suggests a 30 day trial before making changes. I had to adjust my calorie target three times before I found what worked...even gained a little in the process. But since I found the target, losing steadily.