Mandatory Mexican quisine....

Options
Hey, I have to go to La Mex for Father's Day with my family tomorrow night...I enjoy the family time, just not the restaraunt! Does anyone know of some healthy dishes for me to choose while I'm over there? I'm a very picky eater when it comes to tomatoes, onions, and peppers :sick: Any suggestions would be great!

Also...low cal alcholic beverages??:drinker:

Replies

• AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have to go to La Mex for Father's Day with my family tomorrow night...I enjoy the family time, just not the restaraunt! Does anyone know of some healthy dishes for me to choose while I'm over there? I'm a very picky eater when it comes to tomatoes, onions, and peppers :sick: Any suggestions would be great!

Also...low cal alcholic beverages??:drinker:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Well, I fail on the food, 'cause i LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican food....(see Stupid Stupid Stupid.....lol)

But! White wine is a great option for low cal drinking! Anything with a mixer is going to be WAY high in cals. 3 margaritas easily hit 600 cals.
  • brandyjo
    brandyjo Posts: 47
    Options
    We're going out for mexican as well for father's day. I would definately avoid refried beans at all cost. I'll probably have either chicken fajitas on a corn tortilla (I also ask for no onions and no peppers) or some kind of chicken soft taco. Not crunchy, because that means it's been fried in grease.
    I used to do a taco salad but found out that with the cheese, shell and avacado I was consuming like 800 calories I've heard ranchero beans are not bad calorie wise either I just don't care for them.

Good luck!
  • areason4stars
    Options
    How about spliting a meal with someone... restaurant portions most of the time are huge. But even if you splurge one meal on one day isnt going to ruin your weight loss.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find a healthy way to do Mexican food, I :heart: enchilada sauce too much. But I have started drinking Bacardi and Diet coke. I am not exactly sure how many calories it is but I know it is less than most other mixed drinks.
    Good Luck!
  • Wizzle
    Wizzle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try getting a chicken taco salad, but do not eat the shell. The shell is the worst part. Also, avoid the chips and salsa.... so good but so bad.
  • country
    country Posts: 57
    Options
    I drink captain morgan with diet coke at 60 calories and ounce. I think Bacardi is just a little bit more somewhere between 65 and 70. What a good topic though I am going to start a blog about beverages!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I drink captain morgan with diet coke at 60 calories and ounce. I think Bacardi is just a little bit more somewhere between 65 and 70. What a good topic though I am going to start a blog about beverages!

Ohhh, good to know, I actually like Captain Morgan better! I would drink it with Moutain Dew, but you can't find Diet Mountain Dew as easily as Diet Coke.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I go to a Mexican/Latin Resturant by me I order Pollo ala Plancha - which is grilled boneless chicken breast I subsitute the rice and beans for a Salad and stay away from the Chips and the refried beans and the Plantains

Bacardi and Diet Coke is my vice - 68 calories an oz - maybe I'll try capt morgans though.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Bacardi and Diet Coke is my vice - 68 calories an oz - maybe I'll try capt morgans though.
    Just have to watch the ounces of booze!! My hubby and I LOVE our Cap'n and Diet Coke......until I realized we were putting four oz to each 12 oz can of soda....for one drink! Have more than one of those a night and there's half of your caloric intake!!
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    carne asada is a good choice too
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My system would be to go running or work out before you go so that you can have something yummy to eat with your extra calories. That's the only way I can do it.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Tip #1 - Keep the gratis chips at the other end of the table!

Get grilled chicken fajitas with little / no veggies and ask them to go light on the oils when "fajita-ing" it.

Plus the flour tortillas you eat them in are not bad - much better than bread!

Tip #2 - Do something really active in the morning - burn 500-800 caloires, eat light the rest of the day, and then you can splurg 800-1000 calories on dinner!
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wrong on the tortillas I am afraid. Restaurant ones are usually made with lard and hover around 150 each. I only know this because I miss them. I live in Texas, so I love my tex mex, what I do at home and should be doable at a restaurant is the fajita chicken over salad, all the salsa you want no avacado, sour cream, beans, or yummy crunchy things. I will splurge on the cheese though:)
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    You are right. When ocassions like this arise, I give the standard advice -- eat something beFORE you leave the house - that way you can choose what you eat and avoid the real mistakes later.