Any Success Stories with Personal Training??

Options
Just booked a personal trainer to guide me once a week for the next 10 weeks - she told me I will see a significant change in my body. (Working out, mostly strength training 4-5 times a week...and eating many more veggies and good stuff).

Anyone have stories on success with personal training? How did you maintain your new shape after you were done with him/her?

Replies

• PnutLuv
    PnutLuv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks into a fitness challenge working with a personal trainer - so no expert here. But TOTALLY seeing results. I'm down about 10lbs and I can do TWO real pushups! Laugh all you want, but that is seriously huge for me! :)
    He has fine tuned how I look at my diet, gives a breakdown of what types of foods to eat when, etc. Learning lots about exercise and although the once a week workout with him is brutal, proud to say I haven't passed out or puked yet. He really watches my form and makes it hard enough but not too hard for me, make sense?

What I love most is that even though it's at my gym, he really teaches us so many things we can do at home with little to no equipment to get results too. I chose a gym 25min away because I liked the staff, but it also meant it's not as convenient to get to.
  • mona_patty
    Options
    I have been training since August, I started 192 lbs and now 160 lbs. But I have been taking it slow though, I don't like stressing myself. But I can tell a difference in everything. I can do regular pushups, I've done 20. Before I went to her, I did 120 jumping jacks in 15 minutes, now I can do them in 2 minutes.... more or less. It will help you alot and encourage you to do your own thing.
    Best of success to you.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    People tend to see results with trainers because of the added accountability. You have to make (and keep) appointments. You have to answer to the trainer when you eat poorly. A trainer can help push you. It's nothing you can't do on your own, but I find that a trainer will maintain your workout intensity at a higher level than you will on your own. I don't believe you're ever really 'done' with a trainer. You can learn from them and gradually incorporate what they teach you into your own plan. Personally, I do both. Some days I work with my trainer and some days I work out on my own.
  • Lilyyy7
    Options
    I've always been the type of person to do my own research on how I should eat and workout. It worked for me, but I was kind of stuck on losing weight and building muscle. I met with a personal trainer one time (can't afford all these sessions) but she taught me a couple things about working out. Needless to say, I took some of her advise, I did some of my personal research, and incoorporated previous experience to devise a cool new workout for myself. So far I'm in week two of this routine (without a trainer) and my body is looking a little tight.

I think they help with finding things that work for YOU, and they put structure in your workouts. There's nothing worse that working out aimlessly without a plan. Good luck girl! :)
  • jcc4
    jcc4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't say enough about the benefits of a good personal trainer. I lost 70 lbs with the help of a great one. No matter how much you think you know, they can show you more. How to vary your exercise so that you don't get bored, break through a plateaua, or keep working out when you have an injury, They can show you how to modify your diet and improve your results with supplements.

Most importantly, they can provide motivation; you have to find a trainer that can adapt their style to what motivates you. Do you need a no-nonsense drill sergeant or one that takes a softer more forgiving approach, or somewhere in the middle? They should be able to motivate you between your sessions as well, to keep your progress going all week.

I really enjoy working out so maybe it is a little different for me but if you don't find yourself looking forward to your training session (and not just because you haven't been working out all week and eating badly!!) then it might be time to find a new trainer!
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My trainer has pushed me in a good way. I've been working with her for about 6 months now. I can do 20+ push-ups (on my knees) in a row, at least 10 in a row on my toes. I've lost inches and holy hell do I feel better about myself! She pushes me to lift, lunge, squat, row, etc more than I think I can. It's SUCH a good feeling!

Plus, she has me do things I never would have done on my own - in terms of machines, in terms of exercises, and on the rare weeks I don't meet with her (like this week b/c she's out of town), I incorporate some of what I've learned into my own workouts.
  • ladyvballcomet
    ladyvballcomet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been stated so far. I've been working with a personal trainer twice a week since late September and although its expensive, I've seen much better results with him than the first time I lost the weight on my own. He focuses me on weight training and I do cardio on my own. He also encouraged me to give running a shot and while I still don't love it, I am happy that I can now run a 6 mph pace for 20 minutes straight before feeling the need to stop. It definitely makes me more motivated to work out on my own knowing that I'll be weighing in with him once a week. He always has new and more challenging exercises for me to do and knows how to adjust my workouts when I hit my plateaus. I know I can't keep this up forever but I intend to still go to him until the summer (hoping to hit my goal weight by then) and then incorporating what I've done with him into my workout sessions to maintain.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If I hadn't gone to a personal trainer, I probably would either be just doing cardio a couple times a week or not working out at all. I lost a lot of weight by calorie restriction, but ended up losing some muscle as well. I went to a trainer for the sole purpose of getting back what I had lost. After about 10-12 sessions, I was stronger than I had ever been before. I was shocked by the strength gains. I wasn't shredded or anything, but it was noticeable. This kind of result gave me the motivation to keep going. After two separate 16-session programs, I was looking pretty cut.

I now see a trainer once a week for a "butt-kicker" session, high-intensity super-sets and forced sets, which helps keep things interesting and fun.

Just really focus on getting the right form and technique. Some moves are challenging at first, but once you get them down (and you will), it'll make weight training safe and fun.
  • asizesix
    asizesix Posts: 134
    Options
    Thanks for the replys :)

I am BEYOND excited to start working out with her and learn the proper way to strength train. She also told me it would be realistic for me to go down a couple sizes within the 10 week period. This is CRAZY for me. I have never felt like I could be "fit" or thinner than a size 10...but we'll see what happens!
  • asizesix
    asizesix Posts: 134
    Options
    Also, funny thing about the push ups - I told her I was ashamed of not being able to do even one on my knees. She told me that it's not uncommon for women to not be able to do a push up at all. Needless to say, I didn't feel like such a loser after that :P I thought it was just me!
  • mona_patty
    mona_patty Posts: 170
    Options
    Also, funny thing about the push ups - I told her I was ashamed of not being able to do even one on my knees. She told me that it's not uncommon for women to not be able to do a push up at all. Needless to say, I didn't feel like such a loser after that :P I thought it was just me!

the day you do 1 regular push-up, you will feel like super woman!!! :happy:
    Best of success!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!