increase weight loss when excercise less?

Options
Hi

I have noticed on the weeks that I excercise less I loose more weight. Why would this be? Has anyone else noticed this?

Replies

• prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Good for you!I haven't heard but probably your body wanted rest a little bit more to burn fat, or may be water fluctuation, your body reserves water in muscles to recover from high intensity exercises, so you may weigh more on those days but the result will be weight loss eventually.By exercising less you mean by time or intensity.If its time I agree it can happen.....I am so happy for you..:drinker:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Very much so I drop more weight 3-5lbs a week with diet alone and when I add exercise it drops to 1-2lbs. My little theory is there is muscle fiber tearing which holds onto more water to repair. No proof but I've noticed a correlation.
  • jamiep926
    jamiep926 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow~~ I'm not the only one!! Good to know! This has been a question in my mind too.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There's an interesting article here on why exercising 4 times a week may be better than 6: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/why-four-workouts-a-week-may-be-better-than-six/

Exercising too much can put stress on the body. It can also lead to more water retention in the muscles so losing more scale weight is not unusual when taking a break from exercise.
  • hattie869
    Options
    Thanks! its how random weight loss is that confuses me the most!
  • cheachea2
    cheachea2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I noticed this as well. It took me a while to figure it out but I bought a program called 6 week body makeover and they encourage you to workout less (walking and 18 minutes of strength training 2x a week). There response was when people need to lose 'weight' they more than likely need to lose 'fat' and to lose fat you need to be in the fat burning zone. Most high intense workouts take you above fat burning zone and push you to muscle building zone. So when you workout to much or to long you are making changes to your body but more in muscle not fat. Again most people need to lose fat first. I personally dont work out at all because it confuses my body to much. I struggle and plateau way to fast when I work out. So this time around I am focusing on food until I get down to a weight that I am happy with and then start to do exercise to lift and tone. First time I did weight watchers I lost 55 pounds with just eating properly. So go with what works right? I am!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Your creating too large of a deficit for your body when you exercise, meaning when you exercise you can probably eat more and still lose weight.. Like EM2WL
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has said that your body changes after the workouts and the time in between. I have been incorporating 2 rest days a week and I am seeing changes I think because I give my body time to repair and respond to the workouts.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    it's likely a loss of water weight. Not necessarily the EM2LW concept, it's the fact that your muscles retain water to help repair themselves after a workout.. if you aren't working out for a few days, boom, water isn't being retained... insta-magic-weight-loss... sorta.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    this is an interesting phenomenon that often occurs when you are consuming too few calories to fuel your workouts over an extended period of time.

for example: eat 1500 calories + exercise 400 = net 1100 calories. body has a "brownout", so to speak; can't fully function so slows down a bit. You may be a bit tired, under the weather, cranky, etc. May or may not experience stall in weight loss.

take a break: eat 1500 calories + exercise 0 = net 1500. body has increased energy, increased metabolism, may result in increased weight loss.
  • hattie869
    Options
    that does make sense!