All these numbers thrown at me

Options
OK I am new here and since being all on here I have read all these different forums about BMR TDEE etc. I am a little confused as to how many calories I should be eating. I am hoping someone can give me a little insight on how this all works so I can get the proper calories I need to start losing weight. So here are the numbers I have been getting doing all of these different caloires.

My BMR is 1978
My TDEE is 2800
MFP has my daily calorie intake at 1850. but other sites where I am getting my calculations has put my calories around 2000-2100.
With all these different numbers being thrown my way it can be a little confusing to a newbie like me. If anyone can give me some insight please let me know. If I have left anything out let me know and I will figure out what it is for me and put it in the comments below. Thanks so much!!

Replies

• Mommyof31970
    Mommyof31970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel like you being new way to many numbers not sure which one to pick very confused
  • TheBigFish711
    Options
    It's all really dependent on how much you do during the day. I know a lot of sites calculate how active you are differently. I would start at 1850, do that for a week or so, see how you do. If you are not losing weight, then move up to 2000.

For me, I started at 1500, lost weight then stalled quickly, it was suggested to me to move up, so i did move up to 1750, added a 5th meal for those extra 250 calories, and the weight has consistently been dropping. You just need to find what your body likes. It'll tell you =)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try starting around 2100 if you can and give it a few weeks, then make changes based on the outcome.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    OK I am new here and since being all on here I have read all these different forums about BMR TDEE etc. I am a little confused as to how many calories I should be eating. I am hoping someone can give me a little insight on how this all works so I can get the proper calories I need to start losing weight. So here are the numbers I have been getting doing all of these different caloires.

My BMR is 1978
    My TDEE is 2800
    MFP has my daily calorie intake at 1850. but other sites where I am getting my calculations has put my calories around 2000-2100.
    With all these different numbers being thrown my way it can be a little confusing to a newbie like me. If anyone can give me some insight please let me know. If I have left anything out let me know and I will figure out what it is for me and put it in the comments below. Thanks so much!!

Since you have a lot of weight to lose, just use MFP's method, eat the 1850, and add back the exercise. Just use this site as it is set up. . .don't complicate it right now. It will be easy to lose weight.

MFP is the only site which wants you to add exercse ON TOP of your daily alottment. The other sites figure in your projected exercise and figure it into your daily calories. Apple and oranges.

Explained:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Being new, I would recommend sticking with the MFP method for now. Net 1,850 calories...this means you eat back exercise calories as exercise isn't included in your daily activity with the MFP method...chances are your gross will be closer to the other numbers you're getting.

You're confused because you're simultaneously looking at two completely different methods of calorie tracking. TDEE method is gross and includes all activities, including exercise. MFP method is net and doesn't include exercise, so you're supposed to eat those calories back.

The reason I usually recommend the MFP method at first is that the majority of newbies do not have a consistent workout routine and their burns are all over the place which makes determining actual TDEE kinda hard.

Either way, just pick a method and don't think too much into it. This really isn't terribly complicated...most can't get their minds wrapped around how very simple it is and over complicate matters. The TDEE method isn't complicated either...just takes some understanding of where you really are which can be difficult if you've never counted calories before.
  • graciesmomma0209
    graciesmomma0209 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Being new, I would recommend sticking with the MFP method for now. Net 1,850 calories...this means you eat back exercise calories as exercise isn't included in your daily activity with the MFP method...chances are your gross will be closer to the other numbers you're getting.

You're confused because you're simultaneously looking at two completely different methods of calorie tracking. TDEE method is gross and includes all activities, including exercise. MFP method is net and doesn't include exercise, so you're supposed to eat those calories back.

The reason I usually recommend the MFP method at first is that the majority of newbies do not have a consistent workout routine and their burns are all over the place which makes determining actual TDEE kinda hard.

Either way, just pick a method and don't think too much into it. This really isn't terribly complicated...most can't get their minds wrapped around how very simple it is and over complicate matters. The TDEE method isn't complicated either...just takes some understanding of where you really are which can be difficult if you've never counted calories before.

This just really helped me a lot. I didn't realize that they were including exercise and everything. I am going to try to stick with MFP for a few weeks. Thanks for the insight everyone.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

My BMR is 1978
    My TDEE is 2800

I feel the same way still trying to figure it all out. along with carbs/fat/protein percentages .. you get a million ideas from everyone where those should be at...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Instead of complicating things, you can just set your account to 1-2 lbs per week, and if you exercise eat at least 50% of them. If you want to prevent muscle loss, I would adjust macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats.