When people cheat on exercise - Rant!

Options
A co worker and I have been working out consistantly since the begining of January 2013. We go to the gym together every day, we motivate each other, we come back to work in the morning in constant pain etc etc. So far, our progress has been slow.. BUT there has been progress.

Well a third co worker decided to join in on our weightloss efforts about 2 weeks ago. However instead of joining the gym, she has decided to take the easy way out and started getting shots twice a week at her doctors office. This morning we were all talking, and she asked us how much we have lost so far in our 2 months, so I proudly say 9lbs and that I have lost an overal of 5" inches and that 3" of those were off my waist alone... She then proceeds to say she has lost 12lbs in the last 2 weeks.....By not doing anything.

I honestly dont know why I'm irriated by this, I guess it feels like I'm doing all the work and its taking forever to acheive results. I'm also probably mad at myself for gaining this 30lbs back last year. So ugh! Just needed to let it out.... Feeling a bit discouraged.

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Remember that being healthy is not just about a number on a scale. You're dropping fat, building muscle, eating healthier to improve your quality of life. She's taking an injection to manipulate her metabolism and is receiving little of the benefits you are. I know if feels like she's cheating & winning, but she isn't. Her weight loss is predominately muscle, because she's doing little work (read resistence training) to preserve it. You keep taking the high road. I KNOW in the long run, you'll be glad you did. Best of luck to you. Stay strong!
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    She'll eventually stop taking the shots and probably gain back the weight. You however, will have learned more about exercise, nutrition, and how your body works.
  • GraceSteps
    Options
    What shots are those? I don't want them personally because I want to do this the old fashioned way but I have never heard of this?

I would be annoyed by the gloating too and the really sad thing is I doubt this will actually work long term because you need to change your life to remain healthy.

Good for you for doing what you need to do!!!

~Jean
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Remember that being healthy is not just about a number on a scale. You're dropping fat, building muscle, eating healthier to improve your quality of life. She's taking an injection to manipulate her metabolism and is receiving little of the benefits you are. I know if feels like she's cheating & winning, but she isn't. Her weight loss is predominately muscle, because she's doing little work (read resistence training) to preserve it. You keep taking the high road. I KNOW in the long run, you'll be glad you did. Best of luck to you. Stay strong!

Agreed! I do understand the frustration because I am in the same situation. I have a friend that lost 50 lbs with hcg 2 years ago. In that time I lost 70 lbs through diet and exercise. Still losing and recomping my body. She since has gained 50+ lbs back and complains every day about her weight. Starts a new fad diet every week without results. I have tried to help her but you can only do so much. :ohwell:
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you. I've known several people that have done the HCG injections. And they all lost weight but every one of them has gained it back and then some. It is really irritating even though you know you'll win the battle in the end!
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options

You nailed it with this.

"I know if feels like she's cheating & winning"

Thats exactly how I felt, I will continue to take the high road. My goal isnt really the number on the scale, I want to be fit, not skinny.
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What shots are those? I don't want them personally because I want to do this the old fashioned way but I have never heard of this?

I would be annoyed by the gloating too and the really sad thing is I doubt this will actually work long term because you need to change your life to remain healthy.

Good for you for doing what you need to do!!!

~Jean

Dont know if its the HCG, or what its called personally. She told me the doctor is giving her two shots, and she goes twice a week. One shot is a fat blocker, unsure of the exact name and the other is a B12 shot.

(Which B12 shot I have been giving when I had the flu. LOL)
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did those shots... at 500 calories a day, exercised about 2 - 3 hours a day, and lost 100 lbs (from 280 to 180).

He never learned to eat - so now, if we got out, to let's use Taco Bell as an example (this actually happened). In the time it took me to eat ONE taco - he ate 2 soft tacos, a burrito, a crunchwrap supreme, and my favorite was the quesadilla which he folded over three times and ate it in two bites. He was just like "well, if I gain any weight I can do the shots again."

Guess what? He's now stuck in a loop. A big huge loop. He gains 50 lbs, goes on the shots, loses the 50 lbs. Goes back to eating like he normally does, gains the 50lbs back, does shots.... repeat in an endless loop. And this isn't a long period of time - he yo-yos those 50 lbs in about a 3 month cycle of both gain and loss. It's insane and horrible for him.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. Faster isn't always better.

And yea she's gonna get fat again.
  • tlaurenfitness
    Options
    If she's cheating by doing those shots (or anybody on fad diets really), she won't know what to do when she's lost all the weight she wants to, if she does lose all of it. She doesn't know how to work for results, doesn't know what to eat, doesn't know what workouts to do.. She will most likely gain a lot of it back. Of course I'm assuming about this person, but usually that is the outcome in these situations.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Remember you're really only in competition with yourself. So, even if she's "winning" (and I seriously doubt she is from what you've said) it's irrelevant because you are doing this for you and you are fighting your own battle or playing your own game or whatever analogy you want to use. How successful you are has nothing to do with anyone else.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    12 Lbs in 6 weeks...all she's lost is a whole lot of water. Also, there's a lot more to being a healthy persona than a number on the scale. You have to look further than short term scale gains...they're great and all, but ultimately you have to learn to eat right and take care of yourself through proper diet and exercise to maintain anything and be healthy and fit. She won't learn any of that just taking an injection and she'll quickly put that weight back on.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.
    She's fooling herself and messing with her body.
    Why do doctors give these shots and what are they exactly?
    Doesn't sound safe.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.
    Doesn't sound safe.

Of course it's safe it was on Dr. OZ. :noway:
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My friend did this and lost 80 pounds in 4-5 months. No exercise, shots and eating 500-700 calories a day. It also cost $600 a month. I hadn't seen her in a few months and she put on easily half the weight again. She has two modes, eat too much or starve yourself. I'd rather take a year and a half to lose 80 pounds and keep it off. Not to mention save a whole lot of money.
  • Morenosn
    Morenosn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. Faster isn't always better.

And yea she's gonna get fat again.

Exactly what I was thinking. I am in the same boat, trying to do it the natural "God Meant" way by healthy diet and exersice. My MIL was really obese and got the Lap Band, and was like "Hey you should just get the lapband and you will loose it quick like i am!" I said to her "I want to loose at a steady pace so i dont have hanging loose skin and im not going to take the "easy way out" i am going to work towards my goal and feel proud thru the blood, sweat and tears!"

My MIL is gaining her weight back bc she will not follow the diet she is suppose to be on and i feel bad, but she just needs to quit being lazy and do it the natural and healthy way.

Your coworker will go thru her ups and downs with her weight, but you will be getting toned and looking good because of your lifestyle change! Keep your head up and keep on smiling bc you are doing it the RIGHT way!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Just think how it will be about 6 months from now when she has gained the weight back (maybe even gained more) and feels like a big fat slug and you are another 25lbs lighter feeling like a million bucks. :)
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did those shots... at 500 calories a day, exercised about 2 - 3 hours a day, and lost 100 lbs (from 280 to 180).

He never learned to eat - so now, if we got out, to let's use Taco Bell as an example (this actually happened). In the time it took me to eat ONE taco - he ate 2 soft tacos, a burrito, a crunchwrap supreme, and my favorite was the quesadilla which he folded over three times and ate it in two bites. He was just like "well, if I gain any weight I can do the shots again."

Guess what? He's now stuck in a loop. A big huge loop. He gains 50 lbs, goes on the shots, loses the 50 lbs. Goes back to eating like he normally does, gains the 50lbs back, does shots.... repeat in an endless loop. And this isn't a long period of time - he yo-yos those 50 lbs in about a 3 month cycle of both gain and loss. It's insane and horrible for him.

Wow that has to do horrors to your system. I agree, that's the worst way to do things!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.
    Doesn't sound safe.

Of course it's safe it was on Dr. OZ. :noway:

Oh... right...:wink:
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    She'll eventually stop taking the shots and probably gain back the weight. You however, will have learned more about exercise, nutrition, and how your body works.

So very true...and you will also be proud of the work you've put in and what you've learned. I learned to take a shot when I was 3 :-)