FEELING GREAT, the plant-based, whole foods way.

Options
Today marks 3 weeks of plant-based, whole foods living.

I have written about my experiences here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/72MonteCarla/view/02-28-2013-blog-2-day-21-of-plant-based-whole-foods-living-497423

If you are living a plant-based, whole foods life, please feel free to add me. I welcome the opportunity to share tips, recipes and support!

Replies

• iwannabe140
    iwannabe140 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and your new lifestyle. I did the same diet a couple of months ago just to see if I would feel better physically and I did in a big way in a short period of time! I thought it would be impossible for me. I LOVE hot chocolate made with milk and ice cream is my favorite treat. Having been born and raised in the Midwest, it was hard for me to plan a meal that didn't revolve around meat. It was ingrained in my head that I needed meat in order to meet my protein requirements. I was surprised to learn, also by using MFP, it is pretty easy to meet your protein requirements without meat. I strayed from my new way of eating when my kids got sick, followed by me getting sick and then going on vacation. I just got back on track with MFP yesterday and was reading your post when I realized, I should give this lifestyle another go.

I don't have a problem with people eating meat (and the rest of my family will although I will be making more meatless meals). I am going to eat the plant-based, whole foods way purely for a healthier way to live. Although I did it for about three weeks, I have a difficult time giving up milk. Using almond milk in my oatmeal works great, but nothing tastes better than real milk when you're having a cup of hot cocoa! LOL. And ... what about chocolate????? So hard for me to give up!

I've learned I have to do things in moderation. Otherwise, I'll be super strict for as long as I can and then I go nuts eating everything in sight. So, for me, I'm going to be strict for 3 weeks to get rid of my addictions, etc. and after that ... hopefully I can eat this way 80% (or better) of the time. If I have a piece of fish or chicken, a cup of hot cocoa or a chunk of dark chocolate, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. :-) I just want to be healthy so I'm around for my kids.

So, thanks for the post! I would love your support, to hear your tips and share your recipes (especially the fruit ice cream you mentioned in your blog).
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and your new lifestyle. I did the same diet a couple of months ago just to see if I would feel better physically and I did in a big way in a short period of time! I thought it would be impossible for me. I LOVE hot chocolate made with milk and ice cream is my favorite treat. Having been born and raised in the Midwest, it was hard for me to plan a meal that didn't revolve around meat. It was ingrained in my head that I needed meat in order to meet my protein requirements. I was surprised to learn, also by using MFP, it is pretty easy to meet your protein requirements without meat. I strayed from my new way of eating when my kids got sick, followed by me getting sick and then going on vacation. I just got back on track with MFP yesterday and was reading your post when I realized, I should give this lifestyle another go.

I don't have a problem with people eating meat (and the rest of my family will although I will be making more meatless meals). I am going to eat the plant-based, whole foods way purely for a healthier way to live. Although I did it for about three weeks, I have a difficult time giving up milk. Using almond milk in my oatmeal works great, but nothing tastes better than real milk when you're having a cup of hot cocoa! LOL. And ... what about chocolate????? So hard for me to give up!

I've learned I have to do things in moderation. Otherwise, I'll be super strict for as long as I can and then I go nuts eating everything in sight. So, for me, I'm going to be strict for 3 weeks to get rid of my addictions, etc. and after that ... hopefully I can eat this way 80% (or better) of the time. If I have a piece of fish or chicken, a cup of hot cocoa or a chunk of dark chocolate, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. :-) I just want to be healthy so I'm around for my kids.

So, thanks for the post! I would love your support, to hear your tips and share your recipes (especially the fruit ice cream you mentioned in your blog).

Thanks for posting. Glad to hear you'll be getting back to a plant-strong life! I thought I might die without cheese, but I find I am really not missing anything. I can't help you with an alternative to your beloved hot chocolate, but here is the Fruit "Ice Cream" recipe:

This recipe is SO EASY, and it's really delicious, too. You'll need frozen banana or mango (or both). And a food processor or blender.
    1) Peel a couple of bananas or mangos. - I do several of each and keep frozen fruit on hand so I can make this any time.
    2) Cut the fruit up into small pieces (I cut the banana into 1/2" thick "discs", I cut the mango into long thin strips). You want the pieces small enough so they don't destroy your food processor or blender when they are completely frozen.
    3) Place the fruit onto a cookie sheet & place in freezer. If it's not a non-stick pan, you might want to line it with waxed paper or parchment.
    4) Allow fruit to completely freeze (2-3 hours)
    5) Place 5-6 ounces of frozen fruit in the processor (I use half banana and half mango, but you can use one or the other or both in any combination that totals 5-6 oz).
    6) Process on high for about 2 minutes. You'll probably need to stop a couple of times and scrape the fruit from the sides of the bowl.
    7) OPTIONAL: Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    8) You'll know it's done when it turns creamy - just like ice cream. You really can't over-process it. Put into bowl and top with more fruit (blueberries, strawberries, etc...) and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg). Serve immediately. Makes one serving. My food processor isn't the best, so I only make one serving at a time. A blender works, too, but you might have to adjust the amount of fruit down a little so yoiur blender can handle the volume.

3 ounces of bananas plus 3 ounces of mango makes a 144 calorie healthful, delicious snack.

Emjoy!
  • asizesix
    asizesix Posts: 134
    Options
    OMG this sounds delicious! Definitely trying it!
  • AZKat527
    AZKat527 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

For hot chocolate you could also use almond milk or I've seen (but haven't tried) nut milk coffee creamers which I would assume have a thicker texture and mouth feel. Or if you are not opposed to coconut try lite coconut milk (canned) mixed in with your plant milk. Most dark chocolates are vegan just check the label.

Use plant milk base of choice, coco powder, dark chocolate chips and sweetener of choice, heat on medium, whisking until chocolate is melted and milk is hot. You might have to play around with the base but I can’t imagine it would be hard to replicate hot chocolate in a healthier way.

Like you said moderation is everything…I still eat chocolate. Dark chocolate covered cherries are my favorite. But I’ve notice that 3 or 4 satisfy my craving instead of 3-4 HANDFULS like before.

Also the Happy herbivore (happyherbivore.com) has a dense fudgy brownie recipe…where the secret ingredient is ….BLACK BEANS!!! There are ways to incorporate your favorite foods into a plate based whole foods diet. :) Good luck!
  • Jooliebean
    Jooliebean Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...fruit ice cream....yes. Will try. :) Thank You for sharing this recipe!! x
  • Jooliebean
    Jooliebean Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Where can I find that oil free hummus recipe chicks poo? :)
  • marclife
    marclife Posts: 7
    Options
    does plant based mean no meat, or just minimal meat?
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    plant based, whole foods vegan here, and i LOVE it...seriously, it's like i get to LOVE and REVEL IN food even more than ever now as a vegan! been living this way for 3 years or so...never looking back :)
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    does plant based mean no meat, or just minimal meat?

Good question! For me, living a plant based, whole foods life means no meat/poultry/fish/seafood/eggs/dairy. It also means no oil, caffeine, sugar, salt. I only eay plant-based, whole foods including vegetables, fruits, legumes (beans), whole grains, seeds and limited amounts of nuts.
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    plant based, whole foods vegan here, and i LOVE it...seriously, it's like i get to LOVE and REVEL IN food even more than ever now as a vegan! been living this way for 3 years or so...never looking back :)

I'm right there with you. I love it. and I do revel in food mor than ever now, too. This friday will be 1 month, and I'm never looking back. My only regret is that I didn't make the change sooner.
  • BridgeKiki
    Options
    Please add me.
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    Please add me.

Done! Thanks! :)
  • herbgardengirl
    Options
    Please watch your Vitamin B12. Some Vegans get it from Nutritional Yeast which is technically an animal. It is not possible to get B12 from vegetable sources, but the high intake of folic acid can mask a B12 deficiency until it has caused permanent damage, including paralysis. When getting a physical have the doctor check for your level of Methylmalonic Acid, a metabolite of B12. If high, B12 is not sufficient to break it down. In choosing a B12 supplement, choose methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin rather than cyanocobalamin which is not easily absorbed or utilized. Linked to cyanide. Do not think the "RDA" of B12 in a multi vitamin is enough for a vegan. It is not. I like sublingula methylcobalamin in the 1,000 mcg dosage, although 5,000 mcg is also available. There is no "upper limit" for intake of B12. It is not toxic. From a registered dietitian/nutritionist.
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    Please watch your Vitamin B12. Some Vegans get it from Nutritional Yeast which is technically an animal. It is not possible to get B12 from vegetable sources, but the high intake of folic acid can mask a B12 deficiency until it has caused permanent damage, including paralysis. When getting a physical have the doctor check for your level of Methylmalonic Acid, a metabolite of B12. If high, B12 is not sufficient to break it down. In choosing a B12 supplement, choose methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin rather than cyanocobalamin which is not easily absorbed or utilized. Linked to cyanide. Do not think the "RDA" of B12 in a multi vitamin is enough for a vegan. It is not. I like sublingula methylcobalamin in the 1,000 mcg dosage, although 5,000 mcg is also available. There is no "upper limit" for intake of B12. It is not toxic. From a registered dietitian/nutritionist.

Duly noted. Thank you.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Glad it's working for you! I am plant based too, will be 2 years in July and I love it. Will add you.

(Nutritional yeast is NOT "technically" an animal.)

For hot chocolate I do almond milk with some raw cacao and a tiny bit of real maple syrup (or honey if you are not opposed) and whisk it over medium heat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!