Any former smokers out there?

Options

Replies

• invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Quit cold turkey a year and a half ago. I started doing cardio beforehand and it helped me realise that if I wanted to do it properly, breathe well and last, I'd need to give up. Never looked back since.
  • TheGeordie
    Options
    Congratulations!

I took up cycling last june and quite smoking in the August after someone asked me if I needed an ambulance after cycling up a hill!

Now I dont even think about it and I cant stand the smell off smokers, even 10 ft away they stink to high heavan!!!

Good luck and keep it up!
  • baksings
    Options
    I smoked my last cigaretteon 4/1/2012 at 8:47pm after a 48 year habit. The patch and Wellbutrin helped me get through the first 3 months. Deep breaths and lots of water do help. Whenever you feel the need stop and take time to remember why you are doing this.

I did use hard candies as an oral substitute until I realized they were becoming almost as much a habituation as smoking. I did start working out 1 week after quitting with light cardio and weight training. It helped to have a new, healthy focus to replace the old bad habit.

I've been smoke free for nearly 5 years (April 8th will be my anniversary) I used patches and once you've made up your mind, you can do it! Remember, the craving only lasts a few seconds, do some deep breathing and smile because you are on your way to a much healthier you!
    For some reason, cinnamon disks (hard candy) really helped me the most of any substitutes.
    I'm a singer so I loved the new breath support I regained! Good luck to you!
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago. I used the step down patches to curb my nicotine withdrawals, and the electronic cigarette to help with the sensation of wanting to inhale the smoke. The toughest part was the first week, smoked for over 20 years, and quit numerous times, just wanted it more this time.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 years ago with nicotine gum. I still chew nicotine gum. Traded one addiction for another more expensive less smelly more healthy addiction
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep, I quit successfully when I was 45. It's been over 3 years now and the best thing I ever did for myself. I traded in a bad habit for a good habit of running on the treadmill. Good luck and no matter what - protect your quit!
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I quit 2/5/09 after 14 years.

I started running, and have been doing that since.

Congrats to you!! IMO, quitting smoking is the single biggest change you can make for your health and well being.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I quit almost 2 years ago, and so glad I did! It was a little rough but I had started smoking a lot less in the year before I quit so I think that made it easier to stop completely. I do still think about it it occasionally and had a cigarette on NYE but it didn't make me want to go back to it. The taste wasn't so great and the smell bothers me more now. I don't think quitting made me eat more since I cut down to only 1 or 2 a day(more on a night out on the weekend). Just try to stay away from the triggers as best as you can at 1st. I had to cut down on coffee and didn't go out for a couple weeks around other smoking friends, just til I got over the hump.

You can do it! Just focus on how much money you are saving and that you are saving your life!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I quit 9 years ago using Wellbutrin. I drank tons of water when I was quiting. Everytime I wanted a cigarette, I'd take a swig of water. And I chewed gum.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Quit 14 years ago with the patch. It was hellacious at the time, but there have been countless benefits since then. Not stinking is a big one, which you'll realize in another month.
  • adm603
    adm603 Posts: 48
    Options
    My 3 year anniversary will be March 12th. Best thing I ever did. Just stay focused and remember how bad it would taste. Plus now I don't even know how people can afford to do it, they are crazy expensive.
  • gaylaworrell
    Options
    My last one was June 20, 2011.
    Once I decided I was done, it was a fairly easy process.
    I like breathing better. :)
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    YES! I had my last cig on my moms bday 8-28-2010. I started excersing when I was having a bad craving!!! I feel so good, i am so glad I quit!
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I smoked my last cigarette March 27, 2012 after leaving the doctors office with high blood pressure. Never in my life had I had high blood pressure so I said that's it, I'm done. I did use electronic cigs but I used the kind that have different levels of nicotine. I weened myself down to the zero nicotine and have quit smoking the e-cigs since Aug 15, 2012. Now I can't stand the smell and when I'm around smokers I hate it. Does not make me want one at all. Good luck with quitting!
  • chocolatierswife
    chocolatierswife Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i quit 43 days ago for my 35th birthday, best thing i've done for me.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Been almost 8 years., 2-3 packs a day for 30 years. I joined an online group, similar to this group, called www.quitnet.com and I used the patch. Came off the patch, moved to the gum and finally weaned off of that. Took me 2 years to finally get off the gum, but, it was worth it. We all take different roads to getting out from under an addiciton. Whatever works for you....and like Sophie noted below...no matter what protect your quit. You can do it.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I quit a little over a year ago after 22 years of smoking...and it was hard for me the first few months, but then got MUCH easier. I used it to "cope" with lots of things, so the hardest thing for me after the first few weeks was learning healthier ways of dealing with stress. I guess what I learned over this last year is 1) smoking doesn't help fix the situation 2) smoking made many situations worse for me. I'm a much more relaxed person now that I don't smoke.
  • Jessymyn
    Options
    I quit cold turkey nearly three years ago after many years of on again/off again smoking. Even though I was careful not to allow eating to replace smoking, my metabolism fritzed out on me. I went from a size 5/7 to a size 10, a 30 pound plus gain. I let life and my job get in the way of living and eating right after that although I stayed away from cigarettes. However, I'm back on track now. Cigarettes always appealed to me in the past, even after I gave them up periodically, but now even the smell makes me gag.

I feel safe in saying that while it was extremely difficult to quit, I'll never go back.
  • branflake6
    Options
    I quit cold turkey Sept 2, could not imagine smoking now yuck the smell lol. Def makes workouts easier since my lungs don't feel like they are going to collapse. Great job stick with it!!
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 1/2yrs ago with wellbutrin. I ate like crap for a while after quitting. Exercise helped me get stronger physically and mentally. Now I feel like I never even smoked at all. It will get easier and easier after time. I plan on running a marathon in October - smoking again would definitely kill that goal. Breathing is awsome and colds dont linger on for weeks.