Krav maga anyone?

Options
The mma gym by my house just started doing a krav maga class. I have always wanted to do this, but never had a location near me that had it. I have never done any type of martial arts before. I am wondering what to expect. The location seems to be pretty male dominated and I don't see a lot of beginners here.

I am trying to find another girl to go with me, because yes, I am a loser and need a security blanket for my first class. Anyone have advice on what to expect my first class? I am psyching myself out for no reason. Just nervous.

Replies

• lvd82882
    Options
    Do it! I've been training in Krav Maga for a year, and am soon heading out to LA to train to become an instructor. I too was the only woman in my first class (and in most classes since), but it is so worth it. Within a few classes I totally forgot that was even a concern I had. From what I hear, every school handles classes a little differently - some are mostly focused on the exercise component and others are more focused on the technical aspects of the self defenses. It is incredibly fun, hard, and empowering either way! I definitely found more self-confidence through training than I thought was possible.

I would expect some combination of the following:
    - Cardio, mostly as a warm up
    - Combatives - punching and kicking on martial arts pads/bags
    - Self-Defense techniques
    - Often class wraps up with a drill to incorporate all the skills you practiced during class

From my experience, Krav classes tend to be extremely supportive - it's not a competitive sport, so the goal is for everyone to succeed.

I'm not going to lie - I was extremely nervous, not just for my first class but for several classes afterwards. It was FAR outside of my comfort zone, but it's been amazing. I definitely encourage you to try it out!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. What do you wear to classes? I have read to not wear anything tight, but I usually workout in compression pants, shorts and a tank. I guess I should find something else. I really don't want to be that girl that has to call the gym and ask what to wear.

Do the classes progress or is it alot of repetitive techniques? Again, thanks for your help. I am pretty much freaking out at this point. No clue why, just way out of my comfort zone and I don't want to be the little blonde girl that ruins a class full of experienced people.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    You're going to have so many bruises it's not even funny.
  • micheleb15
    Options
    You're going to have so many bruises it's not even funny.

Bruises are the least of my concern. I welcome them; they'll make great stories to my clients at work.
  • lvd82882
    Options
    I usually just wear regular workout clothes - t-shirt, shorts or capri-length pants. You may end up on the ground for some of the techniques, so don't wear loose shorts that will flash people, but other than that it doesn't really matter. In some schools people train barefoot, and others wear regular gym shoes. I like t-shirts instead of tank tops just because as you're blocking or throwing elbows your skin doesn't get rubbed quite as raw, but plenty of people wear tank tops too.

There's a fair amount of repetition in the combatives. For instance, you'll probably review straight punches in every class because they're such a central part of the technique. But each class you'll probably learn some new self-defense tactics (e.g. how to get out of a choke hold one day, how to deal if someone has a knife to your back another day, etc.). And I'm sure the instructor will take into account the experience level of the folks in the class. The idea is that the techniques become muscle memory and are instinctive, so don't worry about others in the class who are reviewing stuff they've learned before - that level of repetition is important for more experienced folks too.

Keep in mind that everyone else was a newbie once too - I've found my classmates to be incredibly supportive. Though the thing about bruising is true :).

Feel free to message me if you want to chat more. I've been thinking a lot about how amazing Krav is for women, and yet it's such a scary thing that few women actually try it, so I'm more than happy to answer any questions or offer encouragement!
  • micheleb15
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'll let you know if I have any more questions. I wish more women would get into it too. There is something very empowering about knowing you can handle a situation if something does arise. I am starting in two weeks, so I will let you know how it goes.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    http://fcache.veoh.com/file/f/l10260388.mp4?e=1362093142&ri=6000&rs=100&h=cc537e6ef8b123a67860586d2f551ed8

Have you seen this episode of Fight Quest? The female trainer on it is tough. I seriously think she could take out just about anybody, male or female, who comes after her. When I first saw this episode I was fat and out of shape. Now, I am less fat and in decent shape. Maybe I'll have to look for someplace close to me. She truly is inspiring. I would love knowing that I have the skills to get myself safely out of any situation. Thanks for reminding me of this.
  • micheleb15
    Options
    http://fcache.veoh.com/file/f/l10260388.mp4?e=1362093142&ri=6000&rs=100&h=cc537e6ef8b123a67860586d2f551ed8

Have you seen this episode of Fight Quest? The female trainer on it is tough. I seriously think she could take out just about anybody, male or female, who comes after her. When I first saw this episode I was fat and out of shape. Now, I am less fat and in decent shape. Maybe I'll have to look for someplace close to me. She truly is inspiring. I would love knowing that I have the skills to get myself safely out of any situation. Thanks for reminding me of this.

I can't see the video at work, but will check it out later. I have been wanting to do this since I saw "Fight Girls" tv series in 2007. They were Muay Thai fighters, but that was the first time I saw Gina Carano and thought she was absolutely amazing.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Go for it, martial arts is fun!
    I second the loose clothes, avoid that. Have fun!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Actually, look up "Women of Krav Maga" on YouTube and you don't have to watch the entire episode. Sorry for not posting the link my ipad is acting stupid. The instructors name is Avivit Cohen.