I just quit smoking !!!!!

Options

Replies

• debbieled32
    Options
    i quite 6 months ago. its hard but worth it. running and walking is much easier without smoke in my lungs. you got this :)
  • sandiesluka
    Options
    We all need to stick together on this. My dad died almost 1 year ago from chronic copd and emphysema and I refuse to be taken out like that. That was a slow death and fighting for air is not the way I want to live. Sorry for the downer, but it's a reality.
  • MLibby84
    Options
    Congratulations! and welcome! Im soo happy for you. :happy:
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Im on day 2 of quitting chewing .....the one thing that helps is thinking about everyone whos ever quit nobody ever says man i wish i wouldnt have quit......so it must be worth it
  • Dol10
    Dol10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    congratz. Im officially a non-smoker as of Oct 11th 2012! :D Feels good to be healthy.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I am on day 45 of being smoke free....:):):)

I was a pack per day smoker and quit cold turkey. It was ugly, but I am well past the worst of it and am so grateful to not be a slave to it anymore!!

Plus, I've saved over $400 in just a month and a half! Holy Sh^t!! :) You can do this!

There is a Quitting Smoking forum on MFP. Lots of information and support there too.
  • Alcanta
    Options
    It is amazing after only just TWO MONTHS I can actually RUN!. OK, run for 5 minutes or so... but that to me is an improvement on nont-even-running-to-get-the-last-bus!

Skin looks beautiful too.

You can do it to!
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For those just starting out to break the addiction & maybe wavering & those who don't want to stop smoking in case they eat more, please read my blog on the consequences of not taking the plunge. I am living the consequences daily.
  • DLH45
    DLH45 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good Job! Today is 2 months smoke free for me. Its been tough but I feel so much better! You can do it!!
  • Apples38
    Options
    Vicky, u r doing it the right way. I lost 3 stone in 2011. In November 2001 I weighed 10 stone. I gave up smoking and ate like a pig for over a year and 4 stone later here I am!! Feel free to add me as I do know exactly how you feel x
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    For those just starting out to break the addiction & maybe wavering & those who don't want to stop smoking in case they eat more, please read my blog on the consequences of not taking the plunge. I am living the consequences daily.

Can you post the link?
  • Bobbyjr72
    Bobbyjr72 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    single toughest thing I've ever done. I was addicted to the nicotene gum for years too. I work 70 hour weeks, have 3 kids at home, a demanding career and have been through a lot in life in general BUT nothing came close to the physical, mental and emotional energy spent actually quitting smoking / nicotene. So stick with it. It gets better. Since then I've finished p90X, Insanity and a bunch of other programs I would never have been able to do as a smoker (at least not as effectively).

Every time I got the urge I did the following:

2 minute breathing drills ala Tony Robbins (breathe in for a count or 3, hold for a count of 12 and exhale for a count of 6- 2/4/8 or any combo of 1x/4x/2x works just as well) and then chug a tall glass of ice water. The breathing helps to clean your lymphatic system and the water pushes the toxins your releasing out through the digestive system. Plus its relaxing which is what I used to get from cigarettes. You will notice some dizziness initially but that's good. I also chewed the ice instead of eating as you definitely have the oral fixation of needing to put something in your mouth. Keeping celery and carrots handy helps too.

Here are some helpful links:
    http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/2510.asp

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/a_benefits_time_table.html

Hope that helps

Best of luck and stay strong!!!
  • bobbietaylor733
    Options
    I`m so happy to find this post!.....After 25 + years of a pack a day smoking ( Canadian cigarettes), I decided to quit on 12/12/12 ( not sure why that date). In almost the first month I gained 6 lbs, I was horrified......it was clear I was going from one addiction to another, over eating! So I decided the first week of January, I was going to make living a healthy lifestyle my addiction.
    and I`ve done aright so far, but I feel myself slipping back into my old eating habits.

I am going to start Jillian Micheal`s "Ripped in 30" video tomorrow and am hoping this gets me back on track. Quitting smoking has been the hardest thing I`ve ever had to do for myself in my life, but with support I`ve made it this far and will continue....I feel great and you will too!!!!!!! Congratulation!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mikel_antilles
    mikel_antilles Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Keep up the journey. Remind yourself everyday about your goals.
  • roblewis72
    Options
    Hi All
    My daughter (who is 5) wanted me to stop as her Christmas present last year. It is the best present that I have ever given, yes it was hard at first but I have been successful, I used medium nicoteen patches (Boots own brand).
    I also started running in the new year and after 6 weeks I can now easily run for an hour without stopping, with the money thast I saved I purchased new running trainers and clothes etc. I do regular park runs (http://www.parkrun.org.uk/) every Saturday morning.
    I am not saying that everyone can do this, but it is a good way of taking your mind off something as everyone that does running is a non smoker!
    Whenever I am near someone who has just come back from having a cigarette I realise that I once smelt the same as them, absolutely disgusting.
    For those of you that still smoke, you can do it, just think how much money you could save, how much your friends and family will appreciate it as well.
    Rob
  • Exodus62
    Exodus62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You will feel 100% better. I quit July 1st of last year and feel great. I wasn't exercising like I should have been and gained a bit of weight, but I am now back down to where I was when I quit.
  • msdelisle
    msdelisle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking. I was about your age when I quit in 2001 and it was the best thing I could have done for myself. Keep up the walking but remember to not overdo it to the point of quitting. All good things take time.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex-smoker myself, so congratulations to you! You are doing a great thing for youself. You may add me for support, if you'd like.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My husband has smoked for almost 20 years and has decided to quit. I secretly like him better when he's smoking (for right now anyway) because he's not so grumpy. But I will bear it and hopefully he has the will power to not smoke. He is using the gum though. That's been helping.
  • msdelisle
    msdelisle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ajhugz, where is your blog???

Never mind. I am still new here and didn't realize you were posting what someone else posted. Found the link, read the blog, and especially glad that I quit smoking when I did.