Exercise makes me hungry

margaretturk
margaretturk Posts: 5,203 Member
I am celebrating four months of maintaing my weight loss of twenty two pounds. I lost ten before I joined fitness pal. I am fiinding maintaining as challenging as losing because when I exerciise hard it makes me hungry and then I tend to over eat. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggustions?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    This problem is why exercise without being aware of diet rarely works!

Are you eating the same amount everyday or do adjust based on exercise?
  • Danarh3
    Danarh3 Posts: 2 Member
    It happens to me sometimes. I found taking a vitapak before my workout makes me less hungry. And have healthy foods available when you are done working out but only portioned food and just enough. So if you wanted more you would have to cook or prepare more servings.
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    It's odd, I can barely stomach anything after a good workout, like ill feel full for HOURS after!
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    I am not a huge fan of protein powders but if you make a shake/smoothie with a scoop of protein powder in it, it may work. I stopped taking the powders a few weeks ago and replaced it with whole foods protein and have been hungry more often. I was never hungry when the protein shakes were part of my daily routine. I now reserve them for days I know I will be exercising hard. They are great to avoid late night eating as well. Completely eliminated my urge to eat after dinner. Low carb, low sugar and high protein.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    It's pretty normal. If you're burning more calories, your body is going to want more! Focus on eating quality carbs, lots of protein, and a decent amount of fat. Make sure your body is getting the fuel it needs!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Cardio makes me famished! Strength training doesn't make me hungrier, sometimes makes me feel less hungry.

So doing cardio to burn more calories so I can eat more seems to be a silly concept. If I am already hungry before the cardio burn then I will be double famished after and want to eat more than I burned.
    I mainly stick with strength training.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,203 Member
    Thank you for the ideas. I think I'll try upping my protein and see if that helps. :smile:
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Nothing amazing, but I often have a couple of clementines a bit before exercise, have a pint of water after maybe a bananna or small salad, then eat as normal.
    I have enough energy for a good work out and the snacks seem to stop me over eating later on
  • drnadeau
    drnadeau Posts: 4 Member
    I exercise every day and this happens if you are not eating enough times before the workout, also what is your protein level telling you. You should have at least 80 grams of protein per day and this is not instant it is over the whole course of a day. Make protein shakes and keep them with you, use unjury liquid protein as a good source, also your water intake, when exercising you still need to maintain the fluid level in your machine so look at the easy things, watch the carbs for they make you crave food Good Luck:frown:
  • drnadeau
    drnadeau Posts: 4 Member
    Simply put is that you stopped the liquid protein. Meat and vegetable proteins must be full chewed swallowed and then allow the stomach acids to break it down. By taking a liquid protein you can take it over the full course of the day. 80 grams or more per day. This allows your body to keep the tank full and not go into these hunger spins. There are so many proteins out there you should try many more till you get the one that works (tastes right) for you. Water intake is the same. There is a very good website called unjury that has great things on protein.. :frown:
  • Eat slower, drink more water and don't watch t.v. while you eat. It takes a while for your brain to communicate to the rest of your body that it is full. If you take longer pauses while you eat you will better realize when you don't need any more food. Also, drink more water. Often the body has a hard time differentiating between hunger and thirst. Finally don't watch t.v. while eating because the distraction doesn't allow you to fully realize when you are full. I hope this helps...
  • Conniekui
    Conniekui Posts: 24
    Have your after work out snack ready and waiting. That way you know exactly what you'll have and it will prevent overeating. A small avocado fills me right up until the next main meal.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!