Been Trying to lose Weight for Ever.

Options
I am getting married in 2015 and I really want to feel good about myself on my wedding day. My biggest issue is the scale, sometimes I have lost 5 pounds then the next day 3 are back.. It is very fusterating and makes me want to quit.

Motivation friends please!

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    How long did you give it an honest effort? Weight fluctuations are normal. All of us deal with it, especially women. Isn't your wedding enough motivation to get in shape?
  • zummerzet_lou
    zummerzet_lou Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to learn how much your weight naturally fluctuates. Weigh in every day , and log it if needbe. You cannot gain/lose 3lb fat in 1 day - it is far more likely to be water.

You have a great end goal - but it's a long way off. I'd suggest setting some smaller, achievable goals to gradually get you to your wedding. Maybe a 1-2 month goal?
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is stop weighing yourself every day. I used to do that and it drove me nuts. Now I just weigh in every Friday morning as soon as I get up. It's tempting to weigh in through the week, but I know that weight can vary. Also, make sure you are weighing in at the same time every day for consistency.

I'm with the PP too - have small baby goals to get you on your way. To start yourself out pick something that you know you can do and then go for it. Reward yourself with something nice when you're done (just make sure its not food related). It's going to be hard BUT one thing I've learned is once you get it in your head that you can do it - there's nothing that can stop you.

Also - if you're having trouble seeing results on the scale - look for victories in other places - maybe inches off the waist, or good food choices.

You can do this!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Your body weight can fluctuate 3-5 pounds in one day. Don't weigh yourself daily or multpile times a day.Pick a day and make that your "official" weigh-in day. Same time, same conditions (mine is Friday, first thing in the am, before eating or working out or showering, after peeing, no clothes). Only "count" that weight if you weigh yourself multpile times.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    And don't weigh when your elmination cycle is not regular; that will really drive you nuts.
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Take measurements- they are much better at showing progress regardless of what the scale says!
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    Isn't your wedding enough motivation to get in shape?

What the heck does this even mean?! 0.o
  • kelltic13
    kelltic13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be getting married in 2015 too! That is cool. How much do you have to loose? Make a goal, and make a plan. Every time you want to eat something you can't, say to yourself, "I WILL look good for him and for me on my wedding day!" Once you get it off, it is easier to keep it off.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Has anyone's wedding ever been ruined because they were overweight?

Losing weight takes dedication. It takes reminding yourself that this is important, even if the why doesn't seem so important right now. If your wedding is your only motivation, what happens when your mother in law takes over the invitation designs without your permission? What happens when you have a fight with your fiancé?

Think of the things you will be able to do when you are physically fit. If you plan on having kids, think how much easier that will be when you are healthy.

Make more immediate goals, as well: eat more veggies this week, less sugar next week and run further the week after that!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Isn't your wedding enough motivation to get in shape?

What the heck does this even mean?! 0.o

It means exactly what I said. Usually a special event like a wedding is a great motivator to starting getting in shape. She has a wedding to look forward to. And yet she's asking for motivation.
  • MelissaOnPurpose
    MelissaOnPurpose Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message!
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, the scales don't show you anything but numbers, as stated above, they can fluctuate immensely.

Measuring is the best way in my opinion to see real progress, and the way clothes fit you as well.

What really helped me, is when I broke down my immense weightloss goal of 120 pounds to lose into little chunks.
    10 pounds a month, give or take. If I lose more then great, if I'm close great, it's just taking a step back from your goal, and taking it day by day, week by week, month by month and eventually before you know it, it will be 2015! :wink: good luck! :bigsmile:
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is educate yourself on what is going on when you diet. If you have any specific questions, just ask.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hide the scale for a month *insert shocker face here*, set your settings to 1lb per week (yes, it will be more than 1200 cals), eat the right things (toss fast food and crap out the window), track cals, increase water, cut booze and I promise you WILL see results.

Did you notice I didnt even say workout... I lost 35lbs without "working out" granted I've become more active... and WISH i would have started moving my bum earlier.... so, if you add it working out.... you will see results... my friends list are all examples of this... but you will lose weight with all the above
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Getting married is an excellent motivator for losing weight. With about 2 years to go, though, I would start for a more short-term goal, and it doesn't necessarily have to be losing weight. Start with changing your eating habits or increasing exercise. Do those two things, and you've already gotten on your way to losing the weight. It worked for me, but do it in small steps, not big leaps. Remember, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Just start slowly and work your way up. :flowerforyou:
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am getting married in 2015 and I really want to feel good about myself on my wedding day. My biggest issue is the scale, sometimes I have lost 5 pounds then the next day 3 are back.. It is very fusterating and makes me want to quit.

Motivation friends please!

My advice, try not to weigh yourself everyday. Your weight fluctuates so much during the day. Trust me, I used to weigh everyday and get discouraged because I didn't see a loss, then at the end of the week I actually saw a real loss. So I switched to weighing once a week(every Saturday morning). Try it and see if it helps.
  • hugglegirl
    hugglegirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thats what i was thinking haha
  • hugglegirl
    Options
    I sent you a message!

I got your add?
  • hugglegirl
    Options
    Best thing you can do is educate yourself on what is going on when you diet. If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Thanks
  • hugglegirl
    Options
    Getting married is an excellent motivator for losing weight. With about 2 years to go, though, I would start for a more short-term goal, and it doesn't necessarily have to be losing weight. Start with changing your eating habits or increasing exercise. Do those two things, and you've already gotten on your way to losing the weight. It worked for me, but do it in small steps, not big leaps. Remember, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Just start slowly and work your way up. :flowerforyou:

Thanks I do have other goals :)

I have completely stopped with fast food other then 1 surpee that i couldn't even finish cuz it made me sick.