I think I'm doing everything right. Why isn't it working?!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm having some trouble and can not figure out what I'm doing wrong! I have myself at a 1500 calorie limit. I exercise quite a few times a week, whether it's walking my son to or from daycare, or doing some workouts from home. I've been at this for about 3 weeks and my weight has stayed relatively the same, except for gaining half a pound. I've noticed I have lost 1.5 inches, but nothing on the scale!

I can not figure out what I'm doing wrong. Please help!

Replies

• Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you have lost inches, you're doing something right. It could be possible that you are retaining water weight. Watch your sodium intake.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    How did you decide on your calorie goal?
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Log everything, add more protein and try to weigh and measure all your food to ensure accurate calorie counts. Portion sizes are important! Other things you can try would be limiting carbs, eating bigger meals, or eating smaller spaced out meals, or possibly cutting down on sugar. Your diary isn't open so u can't look at your eating history.

Best of luck to you!
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You might consider re-evaluating your fixation with the scale - at least temporarily. Most of us are really more concerned with our appearance. If you're losing inches your appearance is probably improving. Sometimes the weight comes off in spuprts. It might not happen for a while. DON'T give up!

Keep up the good work.
  • stubbynose
    Options
    can you open up your food diary so we can see it and then maybe we can see where the trouble is if it is food related. Are you drinking enough water to help flush out the system. You could be eating to much processed food which is very high in sodium and that can make you retain water big time. Are you eating enough protein and fresh fruits and veggies in their purest form? I know it can get frustrating but hang tight we will try and help the best we can. We all have had to adjust our menus and exercise to find what works for us. Did you figure out your Tdee and BMR? if not go here:

http://www.build-muscle-and-burn-fat.com/how-many-calories-should-i-eat-tdee.html

read this and fill out the info and it will give you the numbers you need to know . Best of luck !!
  • BrittanyNicole0211
    Options
    I'll go make my diary public! 2 minutes!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking everything? Some days there isn't a full days worth of food tracked.

Are you weighing all your foods and using measuring spoons/cups for all your liquids. Far too often we underestimate what we think we are eating.

Try getting more protein, less sodium, more fresh foods.

I would suggest not using "homemade" or "generic" entries as those who have entered those may of used different ingredients or different amounts of things that you have resulting in errors in your tracking.

Try swapping out as much processed foods for more fresh foods. I would bet you are consuming quite a bit of sodium.
  • heleine28
    Options
    I notice on your diary that there a some days where your skipping meals? Maybe you forgot to log them but if not make sure your eatting something healthy for each meal- its important for many reasons when losing weight.

How much cardio are you doing? Find a cardio excercise you are comfortable with, raising your heart rate is the key. I also agree with the a comment from earlier, dont pay as much attention to the scale. Although seeing that you have lost weight is important for motivation purposes, it can also have a negative affect if your not seeing the numbers you hope for. So maybe try weighing every two weeks.

Stay with it, don't give up- just find what works for you. Good Luck!!!
  • BrittanyNicole0211
    Options
    I had a couple days there where life kind of blew up in my face, so I neglected MFP. I'm definitely bad for salt, which is a big change considering I was terrible when it came to sugar. Maybe I substituted salt for sugar subconsciously.

So say I have a peanut butter and banana sandwich (like I did today), should I just log the bread, peanut butter and banana separate?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I would. And ensure you use the proper brands and check the serving sizes. The info in the database are entered from members all over the world. Your foods may not be exactly the same as someone elses.

And always make sure you measure things. That 1TBSP of PB you put on your sandwich for example could actually be 2 or more if you don't properly measure.
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When you cook, don't forget to add the oils you cook with.
    If you are not consistent with logging/exercise then the scale will likely be inconsistent as well. Good luck and stay motivated.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Couple of things.

If you're losing inches you're making progress. Focus more on that than the scale.

Make sure you're weighing and logging everything. Read this, it's eye-opening:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Don't use generics from the database. Always enter your own recipe. Weigh everything you can. You should only be using measuring cups/spoons for liquids. Use a food scale for everything else.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    you are probably building muscle and muscle has weight. So you are becoming fit.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The other thing to consider is body-shock. If you are doing new activities, your muscles will hold on to water. I can log a FIVE POUND gain or loss in any 24 hours period, depending on what exercise I've been doing. The scale is not your friend in the early part of weight-loss and tends to dishearten people who are hoping for a Biggest Loser type ginormous result.

Weigh only once per week, at the same time of day, preferably first thing in the morning. Ignore the scale completely when you are premenstrual.

Read, learn, log, weigh and measure your food, get an HRM to get a more accurate estimate of what you are burning. And stay the course. You will get results!

Good luck!
  • bmag1969
    bmag1969 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a soap box issue with me - the online, crude calculations of BMI and resting metabolic rate. The Navy method gets you somewhat close, but not all of the way there. The best way is to go see a nutritionist who has a machine. What they will do is put a sensor on your hand and foot and it does a much better job at measuring body fat, water retention, etc.

Then resting metabolic rate. Using the online tools, it targets me around 1800. I participated in a study at a military installation. What they were trying to do was see how accurate the calories displayed were (some were close, some were not, and females were WAY off). As part of it, they measured my resting metabolic rate. It came in around 2250. Using my bodymedia sensor and looking at my calorie burn while sleeping (cal/min * 60 * 24) I get 2160. That is a big difference. So, for me, my weight loss was hampered by 2 things, 1 - NOT EATING ENOUGH!!!!!!! and #2, alcohol.

So, dont be so fixated on weight. I track %body fat. If my fat goes down, but my weight stays constant, great!! That means I am building muscle. More muscle means increased metabolic rate, means increased resting rate, etc.......
  • BrittanyNicole0211
    Options
    Thank you all!

Is there a way I can calculate my body fat percentage myself instead of going to a nutritionist? I'm super broke right now but would love to find out my numbers. Also, those scales that not only calculate weight, but also body fat %, muscle weight, etc.. Are those accurate?
  • joele54
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and you are not tracking sugar intake. The advice to reduce carb intake is good, especially processed foods like white rice and white bread, instant foods, processed cereals, etc. Go with brown rice and 100% whole wheat bread, and these in limited quantities while trying to lose weight stay away from high glycemic index foods (foods that are converted to sugar quickly like white rice, white bread, white potatoes, bananas, tropical fruits).

Keeping your daily intake of sugars below 25-30 grams should help you shed some weight. The intake of sugary or high glycemic index foods in large quantities kicks in an insulin response and you are not going to lose any weight if that occurs. That means your body is trying to store the sugar as fat at the same time you are doing all the exercise to try to lose the weight, and weight loss stops. You have to use up the glycogen (stored form of glucose in the liver and muscles) in your body before you can burn fat during exercise, so cutting back on the carbs should help with that. And make sure you eat enough fiber each day, and drink lots of water.

Increasing the protein intake as a percentage of total calories should help too. You could also try splitting your daily food intake into 5 or 6 smaller meals having the same total calories, and eat a protein and carb in each meal.

The most accurate way to measure body mass composition (BMC) at this time I think is a DEXAScan, the same machine used for osteoporosis scans, but uses software to calculate the muscle/fat/bone masses. It is not cheap, but it would give you an accurate picture of what your BMC is currently.

Just suggestions that have worked for me. YMMV
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The scales use electrical impedance to calculate BF%. This is highly variable, and can fluctuate wildly depending on your hydration, and moisture balance of your skin. I found this out AFTER wasting money on one. I bought a set of BF calipers and while not wholly accurate (due to human error) I can see if I'm trending higher or lower over time.