Any former smokers out there?

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I quit Sept 17th 2004. Like many others have said, it's the best decision I ever made in my life!! I dont miss it at all.

There is a website for quitters which I found very, very useful. Whenever I craved a cigarette, I went on there to read the stories, get support etc. Try it - quitnet.com

And good luck! If I can quit my 40 per day habit, so can you!!! Chew sugar free gum :flowerforyou:
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 14 years and finally quit for good on March 5, 2005....and I'm 34, so do the math! Bad habit that I had for WAY too long and once I quit, like the lovely DaniD, I started exercising since I could finally BREATHE! So, I celebrate my 8 year no smoking anniversary next week!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I used Quitnet too!!! :flowerforyou:
  • motherofthree1974
    Options
    I am 38 years old mother of three kids and i quit smoking 1 month ago, Now i joined the gym to loose the belly fat.
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started in early 2006 and quit in late 2010. I had just had enough and was starting to have trouble breathing, was getting sick all the time with URI and Bronchitis. At my worst point, I was smoking a pack a day easily. :/

Never looked back. I can't even stand the smell or sight of cigarettes now.
  • Vickig602
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has posted about this topic. I'm so glad I found this site today!
    The outpouring of support is phenomenal. I'm so excited about this new journey I'm on.
    Thanks again!

Time to walk....
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I quit in 1996 cold turkey. Started in high school,
    I'm 41 now.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking and now I'm walking.
    I'm 45 and want to be healthy. Has anybody been through this?

Yup and after your lungs heal and you get in shape and you smell smoke it will choke you out.

:devil: Smoking is bad :devil:
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking and now I'm walking.
    I'm 45 and want to be healthy. Has anybody been through this?

I am 35 and have been through it twice. I grew up in a smoking house and started at the age of 9 (yes, my mom did not care!) and smoke all through HS up until I was 24 (that is 15yrs and at one point I was a 2/3pack a day). The first time I quit smoking was shortly before I found out I was pregnant w/my beautiful daughter, I was just about to start back up again, but that was more than enough incentive to keep on track. I stayed smoke free for 5yrs and was really good until I met my ex, who smokes...ugh.... I tried to get him to quit but ended up smoking cloves, (I still could not stand reg. cig smoke, haha) I did that for aprox. 2-3yrs and decided enough was enough... I hated that I had started up again. I noticed my endurance I had built up was shot, I could no longer do the long hikes I loved or keep up w/my kid at the park w/out having to stop for breath. I went cold turkey, that time my ex quit w/me and well we did it. It was good to have that support, as when I felt I had to break down they stopped me and vice versa... I know now I will never smoke again, just the smell gags me out now. It is going on to 4yrs now and still smoke free, 2yrs ago I split up w/my ex and he is back to smoking again. My 10 yr old daughter is very happy I quit, she thought I had gone bonkers when I had started again, she was about 4/5yrs old and had never seen me smoke and told me, "mama you said those are bad for you and dangerous" That one really hurt, because it is soo true!

For me having a friend to help you stay quit is a big help, it feels good to be able to help them and in turn they help you. To also help quiting I started walking again, I wanted to be able to do my long hikes and needed to build up my endurance again. I lived in Seattle at the time and went for walks around GreenLake it is 3miles around. At first I was lucky if I made it half way round but eventually built up to goiing around the lake twice, I did this daily for about a year and half, then thing just got really busy but made time to go down at least once or twice a week. I really miss that lake, lol....

I know if I can quit anyone can, and I did it cold turkey, well I weaned myself down to about 3 cigs a day and it was easy to just stop from there. Just take it one day at a time, have lots of gum and something else to "chew" one when you have that urge.. I found black licorice really worked for me, the real stuff not the candy stuff from the store. The taste is strong and takes a bit to get use to but is a great sub for that cig crave, Once you are over the intial cravings it gets easier and you don't need the licorice, but you do need to find good habits to replace the bad one... because it is a very social habit, you just have to do dif. things, like go for a brisk walk after a meal... it feesl way better!

Good Luck to You!
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I smoked my last cigarette March 27, 2012 after leaving the doctors office with high blood pressure. Never in my life had I had high blood pressure so I said that's it, I'm done. I did use electronic cigs but I used the kind that have different levels of nicotine. I weened myself down to the zero nicotine and have quit smoking the e-cigs since Aug 15, 2012. Now I can't stand the smell and when I'm around smokers I hate it. Does not make me want one at all. Good luck with quitting!

Do you mind my asking which e-cig you used?
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had my last cig December 7, 2007 and have not had a single puff since. I used Chantix, which worked great for me although I did have crazy nausea for about 15 mins after dosing. I figured lung/mouth/tongue/throat cancer, hardening veins, nasty smell, bad breath, loss of cash vs nausea (no vomiting), nausea wins out. Yes, it was hard to give up a habit of over 10 years, but I am so glad I did. Everytime I wanted a cig, I'd remind myself that smoking will NOT lower my stress, it will INCREASE my stress casue I will feel so guilty and risk re addiction!
    Don't give up, you are worth the effort.
  • MelissaOnPurpose
    MelissaOnPurpose Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this whole board but I wanted to tell you that I quit smoking on November 26, 2007 and I haven't looked back! It DOES get easier, I promise! It will, more than likely, get harder before it gets easier but still! You have to have a very deep reason to want to quit and you have to remember that EVERY.TIME you're tempted and it will not let you give in. If you need any other advice or encouragement, I'm here! I will send you a friend request as well. We can talk!...
  • barefootsoul91
    Options
    Yes but I started smoking at 18 and it was hard to quit at 21 but i did it cold turkey and never turned back! :) It get's easier every day.
  • addiepray80
    addiepray80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have quit multiple times in the past and am planning on quitting again as of 3/1. I was previously a full time smoker, had my kids and quit save a few packs here and there over the past 6 years. I have been a "weekend smoker" for the past several months; maybe a year. In December, 2012, and this month, February 2013, due to stress and other issues, I have been a more regular smoker (every day, at least one or two).
    Part of my problem is that my husband and I have been enabling each other to continue the habit. Hopefully he will stick to the 3/1 deadline we set together, but I know I have to do it for myself.
    Thank you everyone who posted their success stories; I hope to be there myself in the very near future! And thank you for posting the topic; I'm with you!
  • sabrakay1
    sabrakay1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 years ago! I haven't missed it at all! Good luck to you!
  • Debdais100
    Debdais100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking two months and two days ago after smoking for 31 years. I do feel much better and started swimming and treadmilling 3 weeks ago. I still have cravings - it's mostly just the habit. When I'm in a situation where I smoked, I'm still sub-consiously reaching for my pack. I have substituted lollipops but trying to ween off of them.
    Does anyone find they sleep more since they quit smoking?
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes! Congrats!! :) I quit last Spring using an electronic cigarette and lots of walking, shopping, hot tea, video games, and crafting to distract me. I probably gained a little weight in the process (not sure, wasn't really tracking it until a few months after) but now I am feeling fitter than I have in years and have improved my walks to walk/run intervals. I NEVER thought I'd be able to quit or to run and it is such an amazing feeling! Keep celebrating your choice every day, especially when it's hard, just pat yourself on the back and go ahead and feel a little smug in your decision to quit. Hooray you!!

i also quit using an e-cig back in 2009 and have advocated in florida to get more people to use them. we were the second group to start local get togethers for users and once a year we have a huge meet up that vendors come to and we do alot of advocating for that. i feel so much better than i did when i smoked. food tastes better and i find im able to do more exercise wise

if anyone has questions on e-cigs please pm me..i don't work for any companies but have been in the community long enough to know a bit so am able to direct people to the better vendors that wont rip you off
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i quit for 6 or 7 months last year then had a relapse. now it has been 8 days, 11 hours, 21 minutes and 38 seconds since my last one, Cigarettes NOT smoked: 85, Money Saved: $26.00 and i really want one right now and often what i do when i feel that way is i come on MFP.
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. Congratulations to you
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I quit on my birthday, Jan of 2000.. The reason? My then 4 year old was smoking pens pretending to be like mommy. That is one legacy I didn't want to pass down. Was it hard? Yes the hardest thing I've ever done? Was it worth it? YES. The first 2 weeks to a month are the hardest. Almost brutal because you see cigarettes EVERYWHERE.. I can't imagine ever going back at this point. The price alone will kill you...

Hang in there and focus on one day at a time (sometimes it was minute to minute for me) and you will succeed.

I also quit because my young daughter was pretending to "smoke ickies" to be like me. Broke my heart. I quit cold turkey two Thanksgivings ago (no pun intended) and haven't looked back since. I miss it in the morning and while driving, but not enough to start up again. I gained a good chunk of weight because I couldn't get a grip on my hunger, but if I would have tried to get it together once it was in check I wouldn't be where I am. Losing weight for me is harder than quitting smoking. Anyone that can relate is welcome to add me for support!