Quinoa recipe suggestions!

Options
Sioned26
Sioned26 Posts: 7 Member
Hi

I've recently bought some red and white quinoa after reading how great it is - trouble is I don't really know what to do with it!

I did have it with some homemade chilli as a rice substitute, but wondered if anyone had any recipes that centre around the quinoa, rather than me using it as a side dish to meat?

Thanks for any suggestions x

Replies

• Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just bought this myself....I was looking at a website called allrecipes.com and ypu might find something in that you can join up fpr free its a wounderful cooking site they also have healthy recipes as well....good luck with it and add me if you like so maybe we can compare recipes. Thanks hope it helps.
  • cristi7526
    Options
    i have a box of quinoa myself and haven't prepared it. I bought some already made at the deli the other day. It had quinoa, dried cranberries, orange and red (cut small) peppers. I'm going to use chicken broth instead of water to prepare it. Hope this helps.
  • BridgeKiki
    Options
    I have quinoa everyday. I love it! I use chicken both low sodium from the health food store only. The low sodium at the stores are still a lot higher than if you buy it from health food store.
    I add any vegetables, lemon juice, peppers or anything and it takes great to me.
    Be sure to wash your quinoa first.
    I have now been eating healthy now for two and half months now and I have lost a total of 23.5 lbs.
    I don't buy it in a box, I buy it at the health food store in bulk. Much cheeper.

Quinoa is the best!!!
  • PopCorn_Said
    Options
    I just had quinoa for lunch, lol. I cook it in water (remember to rinse it before you cook it!!)... I love it with a tiny drizzle of olive oil and some lemon juice. You can use it in salads or as a substitute for rice or spuds...
  • FluffyCorky
    FluffyCorky Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like to add shrimp, avocado, cilantro and fresh lemon/lime juice. I also mix it with spinach leaves, chickpeas, tomatoes, basil, red onion & balsalmic vinegar to create a big lunch salad. A woman in one of my groups says she mixes asparagus, chick peas, goat cheese, & lemon juice into hers and I have another friend who uses it to make broccoli and cheese casserole.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I made this the other day and LOVED it: http://skinnyms.com/skinny-quinoa-skillet-supper/
  • Sioned26
    Sioned26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - excellent suggestions from you all!!! x
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Cook it with the absorption method with a pinch of salt. And substitute rice, pasta or polenta with Quinoa.
    Its incredibly versatile and for a grain - very high in protein.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Chrysy87
    Chrysy87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/

These burgers are so good I have made 2 batches in the past 2 weeks. Makes a dozen decent sized patties if you portion them according to the recipe. Savory and yum! Can go wheat free (haven't tried making them gluten free yet) for anyone who needs that (sub quick oats for the flour). Very tasty!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I like to add some diced onion, bell pepper, garlic, chopped tomato, and cucumber, drizzle some Italian or Greek dressing on it, salt and pepper, and a little feta cheese. Very good, makes a great salad or really good like this stuffed in a pita.