Where did my appetite go?

Options
Im about a week into a low carb/sugar thang, and have noticed that my appetite has significantly decreased. Is this common with a low carb diet? what is the reason?

Replies

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I do not know but it happened to me and I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I am eating between 900-1000 calories most days and I stop at one cup of coffee instead of three, I have too much energy for any more.

I don't even dislike the feeling of hunger that I do get.

My husband and I did a break-all-the-rules cheat day with a chili cheese burger and a 24oz oreo milkshake a few days ago. I was ravenous all day the next day.

So it is definitely the carbs or sugar.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    lol! Im with ya nokanjaljo...I aint complaining!

Its just so weird how I used to constantly be hungry and now I practically force my self to eat. the sugar must cause hunger?
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I agree, when I did south beach diet phase 1 (low carb- almost no carb, low fat) I wasn't hungry, I didn't think about food, other than to wonder how I was going to keep up my calories near what I thought they should be. I miss that now that I've gone back to more carbs, although not a lot more, and more sugar. and more artificial sweetner-like diet pop. I need to get back to phase 1/2 and kick those cravings again. I really liked it, although some days I ate a ton of eggs. Friend me if you'd like, we can be not hungry together!!!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs tend to enter your system quickly, spike your blood sugar, after which it crashes and you're hungry again. It's not carbs per se, it's sugars. Steel cut oats and veggies, for example, don't have that effect on me at all.
  • iris8pie
    Options
    awesome krohnie! Im on the first phase of south beach right now too, and i feel like i found the golden ticket. im NEVER not hungry! This is awesome! I will send you a friend request and we can be satiated together....

to others who have done the south beach diet: is this just a phase or will this decreased hunger remain as long as you restrict sugars? how much weight did you lose with it?
  • iris8pie
    Options
    wow vypeters you lost 183 pounds!!?! thats incredible! congratulations!
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I dropped almost 10 pounds in about 4 weeks of sbd. Two weeks of phase one and two weeks of phase 1 and a half (I didn't quite stay on phase 1, but didn't realy feel like adding in many carbs) Once I got sidetracked by losing sight of my goal, I put some back on and I'm struggling with it. BAck to phase one!!! It will be good to have someone to go along with!!
  • iris8pie
    Options
    nice work krohnie! even after a few days I feel my stomach has shrunk quite a bit. I have the classic danger zone figure....everywhere else is normal but my beer belly is like 43 inches around. within just a few days Its shrunk about an inch or two...this is something I definitely want to stick with long term. my body feels much happier.
  • iris8pie
    Options
    and the the gas is gone too! hallelujah!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs tend to enter your system quickly, spike your blood sugar, after which it crashes and you're hungry again. It's not carbs per se, it's sugars. Steel cut oats and veggies, for example, don't have that effect on me at all.
    This. Keeping your blood sugar even throughout the day helps prevent hunger and cravings. Also eating healthier foods that digest more slowly keeps you satiated longer. I have definitely noticed this when following South Beach guidelines.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was on sbd and lost 5lbs the first week 5lbs the 2nd week 3rd&4th week I didn't lose anything and boy after phase one and started adding in fruit i started to gain back all 10lbs I lost on phase one. So I ditched that because I was also feeling tired on phase one but never hungry. I was doing it under a doctors direction which is why I did 4 weeks of phase one.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    awesome krohnie! Im on the first phase of south beach right now too, and i feel like i found the golden ticket. im NEVER not hungry! This is awesome! I will send you a friend request and we can be satiated together....

to others who have done the south beach diet: is this just a phase or will this decreased hunger remain as long as you restrict sugars? how much weight did you lose with it?
    The decreased hunger will continue if you continue to watch your sugars and don't go overboard on fruits, dairy and whole grains. On phase 2 I try to limit fruits to 2 servings of low sugar fruit and grains to one serving per day. My weight loss slowed down a lot after the first 3-4 months on SB, but with tracking I know I will reach my goal eventually.