All of a sudden cannot lose weight :(

Options
Hello
new to this site :)

I go to the gym 5 times a week, I do 60 minutes cardio +( 30 minutes weights every other day).
I literally have not seen the scales move in a few weeks.
I'm trying my best. I've not been eating much around 1000 kcals or even less per day due to the work shifts I've been on recently.

Can anyone give me advice or examples of the meals I should be having?

few months ago I used to do 40 minutes cardio and ate more yet lost over a stone.
Really not too sure what I should be doing or eating or anything!

Someone help? :(:brokenheart:

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that MFP didn't set a 1000 calorie goal for you. Especially since the site isn't designed to set a goal of less than 1200 calories since that's generally considered the lowest amount anyone should eat safely.

I'm going to recommend you eat some more. Set up your MFP profile honestly, eat the amount they set for you, and log your exercise and eat back some of the calories you earn. (or check out the In Place of a Roadmap thread and try that method)

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but every plateau I had to break was caused by me eating too little.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're feeling really frustrated after working so hard. My advice would be to eat more to fuel your body for all that exercise. I know it sounds strange to be told to eat more to lose weight, but it works. Definitely don't go under 1200. I would try logging your food and exercise and eating back your exercise calories. You'll feel much better and you'll surely start seeing results.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Eat more, your body is working hard and needs the fuel. Eat back your calories. That is the way MFP was designed to work.
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not eating enough calories throughout the day to fuel your workouts! You should consume a MINIMUM of 1200 calories each day.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you're not eating enough, but if we say "eat more" then we'll just get scolded... so:

figure out your BMR using some online calculators. Whatever that number is, don't eat less than that or you'll just be back here soon.. asking the same question.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight because you're eating too little. Believe it or not that actually does the OPPOSITE of what you want to do, especially while you're doing all that exercise.. you should be eating WAY more than 1200 calories..

I ate about 1200 calories for years, stopped losing weight and then started to gain.. only until recently by eating more did I start losing again.. O_o I know it is crazy, but yeah...

Anyway check out the highly recommended Road Map, I hope it gets you going again!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't usually jump onto the 'eat more' bandwagon very quickly, but 1000 calories is low without working out....adding on what you're burning on top of that, and I have to agree...you're definitely eating too little!
  • Andrea_Alexis_1980
    Andrea_Alexis_1980 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem working out hard staying under my daily calorie intake but the scale is saying the same number .... I recommend you measure yourself once a month your gaining muscle and that weighs more then fat ... Good luck =)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    There a lot of really good info at this group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Read all the threads with the red pins.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Also how much sleep do you get? because I found in the past I had hit a plateu when I would work out constantly.... but slept only a few hours a night...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem working out hard staying under my daily calorie intake but the scale is saying the same number .... I recommend you measure yourself once a month your gaining muscle and that weighs more then fat ... Good luck =)
    NO NO NO.....:noway:

OP, while muscle is smaller/denser than fat and might make you appear smaller, the fact is...you're NOT gaining significant muscle while eating at such a big deficit. This is a very common and inaccurate statement that people constantly make on this site
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A person can not live on 1000 calories a day for very long eventually you will binge. The minimum ANYONE should ever eat is 1200 and thats without the exercise that you are doing. Your body is probably in "starvation mode" and holding on to everything you eat. Please reconsider your diet. Eat as close to the hoof, ground and tree as you can. In other words, good food that is natural and unprocessed. The more chemicals and preservatives you eat the harder it will be to lose weight.
  • jonesftw102
    Options
    took everyones advice :)
    had a full day where I ate around 1380 kcals.
    ended up somehow losing a pound :)
    happy happy happy! :D
  • sew3521
    sew3521 Posts: 5
    Options
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am in Groundhog Day lately when I read these boards.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    took everyones advice :)
    had a full day where I ate around 1380 kcals.
    ended up somehow losing a pound :)
    happy happy happy! :D
    Congratulations, keep it up! Food is fuel. And it can be pretty wonderful, too.
  • jonesftw102
    Options
    meaning?