what is high in iron and low fat?

Options
I am a veggie and am trying to get some iron into my diet. I've just started on Diet Chef and wondered what would be good to add/replace in the diet that would give me the correct amount of iron daily. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke or a question? Raw baby spinach. I eat a whole bag with grilled chicken. Watch out for the dressing. That's the villain
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Spinach, Kale, Collard Greens, other darky leafy greens
    Beans
    Artichokes
    Raisins
    Prunes

If you eat something high in Vitamin C along with high in Iron, you'll absorb more iron.
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I usually break off a piece of frying pan and suck on it for a while.
  • Tallia2009
    Options
    Spinach, Kale, Collard Greens, other darky leafy greens
    Beans
    Artichokes
    Raisins
    Prunes

If you eat something high in Vitamin C along with high in Iron, you'll absorb more iron.

Greens aren't my fave but love artichokes and raisins ...:) thank you
  • Tallia2009
    Options
    I usually break off a piece of frying pan and suck on it for a while.

And I thought it was a hand in your mouth.....
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    A really easy way to get your iron in is to take a meal replacement shake, like RAW Meal. It's a completely raw and vegan powder mix that you can either add to water, juice, or make smoothies with it. A serving has 100% of your daily iron! Highly highly recommend.
  • Tallia2009
    Options
    A really easy way to get your iron in is to take a meal replacement shake, like RAW Meal. It's a completely raw and vegan powder mix that you can either add to water, juice, or make smoothies with it. A serving has 100% of your daily iron! Highly highly recommend.

Thank you, been googling it and going to order :) well done by the way on your weight loss, :)
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for almost 3 years and I also have Chron's disease which caused iron-deficient anemia, which resulted in 6 IV iron infusions in January of last year...so I pay VERY close attention to me iron levels now. Feel free to add me or check out my diary for ideas. I manage to eat at least 85% of my iron requirement per day without taking iron pills. Fortified breads, a lot of the faux meat products (especially Gardein), oats, sugar snap peas and blackstrap moleasses are all really good sources of iron. Make sure to comsume something with vitamin C at the same time as iron to help boost absorption (add strawberries to oatmeal, red peppers with Gardein, stuff like that).
  • Tallia2009
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for almost 3 years and I also have Chron's disease which caused iron-deficient anemia, which resulted in 6 IV iron infusions in January of last year...so I pay VERY close attention to me iron levels now. Feel free to add me or check out my diary for ideas. I manage to eat at least 85% of my iron requirement per day without taking iron pills. Fortified breads, a lot of the faux meat products (especially Gardein), oats, sugar snap peas and blackstrap moleasses are all really good sources of iron. Make sure to comsume something with vitamin C at the same time as iron to help boost absorption (add strawberries to oatmeal, red peppers with Gardein, stuff like that).

Thank you so much for all this advice, I will look at your diary, thank you. I am sorry to hear of your health issues, I wish you a very healthy path ahead.
  • carrie3083
    carrie3083 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat
  • jb1164
    jb1164 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Anaemia in the final weeks of pregnancy, and wih permission from the midwife, I drank half a pint of Guiness evey day. Apparently the body can absorb the iron from this really well, and I had no further problem. I'm not a veggie, however, so I can't tell you whether it is acceptable or desirable. I know it helped me, and didn't harm my baby. She was 10lb 8oz at birth!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

that's interesting! My husband has Crohn's disease, but he cannot eat most veggies, only low-fiber ones. Too much fiber and not enough B12 are what he has to watch for. He was on B12 injections, but switched to oral B12 for financial reasons. He eats only white bread and no leafy greens but lots and lots of meat.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options

that's interesting! My husband has Crohn's disease, but he cannot eat most veggies, only low-fiber ones. Too much fiber and not enough B12 are what he has to watch for. He was on B12 injections, but switched to oral B12 for financial reasons. He eats only white bread and no leafy greens but lots and lots of meat.

Lentils are another awesome source of iron. Maybe he could do a stew with beef, potato & lentils. That may be low fiber enough that he could eat it. My crohn's is kind of the opposite, where I have to eat a bunch of fiber.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Make sure youre getting some kind of citric acid in your diet when you eat your green leafies try a squeeze of lemon or Orange juice based dressing. Iron isnt readily available to use in plant form and sometimes has to be unlocked with a bit of citric acid. I think vinegar might work too (looked it up that will unlock iron too), and as the above poster said foods with ascorbic acid or Vitamin C.

Another question whats wrong with a little fat in your diet? Especially as a vegetarian you miss out on some beautiful fatty acids. Make sure youre getting those in to keep your cell fires burning, your skin beautiful, and your hair shiny. The usual lovely suspects, nuts, nut and seed oils, and avocados. A little dairy fat if your so inclined.

Oh and I almost forgot get some nice cast iron pans to cook with that will add a bit of extra iron and if your cooking an acidic dish in them like tomato sauce that can double.
  • Tallia2009
    Options
    Make sure youre getting some kind of citric acid in your diet when you eat your green leafies try a squeeze of lemon or Orange juice based dressing. Iron isnt readily available to use in plant form and sometimes has to be unlocked with a bit of citric acid. I think vinegar might work too (looked it up that will unlock iron too), and as the above poster said foods with ascorbic acid or Vitamin C.

Another question whats wrong with a little fat in your diet? Especially as a vegetarian you miss out on some beautiful fatty acids. Make sure youre getting those in to keep your cell fires burning, your skin beautiful, and your hair shiny. The usual lovely suspects, nuts, nut and seed oils, and avocados. A little dairy fat if your so inclined.

Oh and I almost forgot get some nice cast iron pans to cook with that will add a bit of extra iron and if your cooking an acidic dish in them like tomato sauce that can double.

Wow thank you for all this information, really appreciate that :)
  • Tallia2009
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Anaemia in the final weeks of pregnancy, and wih permission from the midwife, I drank half a pint of Guiness evey day. Apparently the body can absorb the iron from this really well, and I had no further problem. I'm not a veggie, however, so I can't tell you whether it is acceptable or desirable. I know it helped me, and didn't harm my baby. She was 10lb 8oz at birth!

Thank you, never tried Guinness but will do now :) 10lb!!!!!ooooccchhhh
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Iron filings?

Spinach, broccoli and asparagus are good places to start.
  • Tallia2009
    Options
    Iron filings?

Spinach, broccoli and asparagus are good places to start.

Thank you, I have too many iron fillings! sadly they not helping. I love spinach if in a restaurant but when I do myself its a soggy disaster! Must try harder :)