Would lifting Once Per Week be beneficial?

Options
Very obese guy, needs to lose about 100 pounds. Well, 10 down, 95 to go. Anyway. NEVER SET FOOT IN A GYM. NEVER TOUCHED A WEIGHT. I'm thinking of starting. I have read so much that it will help speed my weight loss. I'm doing the C25K program, too. So here is what I am thinking:

M - C25K
T - rest (quick/slow walk)
W - C25K
T - rest (quick/slow walk)
F - C25K
SA - rest (100% day off)
SU - LIFT

Would this be helpful? Thanks!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Better than never.
    Each muscle group twice a week is ideal (and this has to be stretched to 3-5 workout days)
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    3-5 times per week? Even for a 100% complete beginner?
  • wellbert
    Options

Especially for a beginner. A beginner can't stress their body to its limits. =)
    Most programs are 3 days.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    once is better than never, 3x week is probably ideal.

To clarify, it won't help (significantly) speed your weight loss, but it'll help you lose more fat and retain more muscle than you would with diet and cardio alone, which leads to stronger/healhier/better looking you when you get down closer to your goal weight. It also means that once you hit your goal weight you won't have as much work to do if you want to go from being thin to looking fit/strong/whatever.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options

Especially for a beginner. A beginner can't stress their body to its limits. =)
    Most programs are 3 days.

So you are thinking more like this routine:

M-C25k
    T-LIFT
    W-C25K
    T-LIFT
    F-C25K
    SA-LIFT
    SU-rest

That seems like a lot to take on.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It's a start. I'd do at least 2 days of a full body routine for a beginner. Check out All Pro's Beginner Plan on the bodybuilding.com forum, although that calls for three days a week. I've just started Madcow's 5x5, and it's pretty good. Honestly, for a beginner who wants to start slow, I'd say on T & Th do deadlifts, squats (you can do those each only one day on opposite days if doing them together twice a week is too much), bench press, military/overhead press and bentover rows. Do 2-3 sets at a weight that fatigues you in around 8-12 reps. If you can do 2 full sets, with good form, for 10 reps, go up in weight. For the first couple of weeks, though, go lighter in order to get correct form down. You can then work up to three days a week.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Exercise History
    Your exercise history influences your resistance-training frequency. The National Strength and Conditioning Association recommends one or two sessions per week for beginners, two or three sessions per week for moderately trained athletes and three or four or more sessions per week for advanced athletes. A beginner is defined as someone with less than two months of resistance training history, while intermediate athletes have two to six months of training and advanced athletes have more than a year of training.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/438477-how-often-should-i-lift-weights-per-week/#ixzz2MEPqUOPe
  • wellbert
    Options
    Yeah. I'd recommend something like this for you:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Are you a gym member or are you planning on lifting at home? I would advise easing into it slowly, if you have never done it and you go to hard you will get really sore and frustrated.

I would try to fit in 2 - 3 times a week, high reps just to get used to it. At this point you don't need to try to hit every muscle group or do a marathon work out. Keep it to 20 - 30 minutes you can even fit it in after your cardio work a few nights a week.

When I decided to get back in shape I started going to the gym and just did 30 minutes or so on the machines for the first few weeks. I am now moving on to SL 5x5, but I have some background in lifting
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    edit, nevermind.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Based on your reaction, why not just start as you planned and work up naturally. Doesn't seem to me like there's any rush and if you overwhelm yourself early on, you're more likely to quit. Is 1 time a week the best? No. Is it better than nothing? Yes. You will see some decent initial gains doing it once per week and it will more than likely motivate you to increase the amount.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Three days a week would be sufficient to start off with but do get someone to show you what to do. Do your research.....If you are going to do it do it correctly :)