Please help! New and overwhelmed

Options
2»

Replies

• Ronnie715
    Options
    I am going to start making the transition to eating healthier and using MFP regularly tomorrow morning. Another question on logging food. How are you supposed to log a dinner that you ate at someones house accurately? (ie; Homemade chicken parm or sausage and peppers?)
    What about if your cooking with say 2TBS of oil to saute spinach with garlic and oil? How are you supposed to calculate this because you aren't going to be consuming all that oil, it will be all mixed in?

The answer to your first question is "with great difficulty and large error." Just do the best you can by finding pieces and ingredients that seem about right.

As for the second: add the spinach as raw, then add the oil. Measure the oil you put in the pan then estimate how much made it into the spinach. This will probably be like 1.5 tbsp.

So this is pretty much a guess. WHat about the food YOU cook yourself? You add each ingredient you put in?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I am going to start making the transition to eating healthier and using MFP regularly tomorrow morning. Another question on logging food. How are you supposed to log a dinner that you ate at someones house accurately? (ie; Homemade chicken parm or sausage and peppers?)
    What about if your cooking with say 2TBS of oil to saute spinach with garlic and oil? How are you supposed to calculate this because you aren't going to be consuming all that oil, it will be all mixed in?

The answer to your first question is "with great difficulty and large error." Just do the best you can by finding pieces and ingredients that seem about right.

As for the second: add the spinach as raw, then add the oil. Measure the oil you put in the pan then estimate how much made it into the spinach. This will probably be like 1.5 tbsp.

So this is pretty much a guess. WHat about the food YOU cook yourself? You add each ingredient you put in?

Every ingredient with calories. I don't add spices, celery, that kind of thing.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, there is a recipe builder that you can use to add in recipes that you make. This makes it a lot easier if you're making say a casserole or soup. You enter all the ingredients separately and enter the amount of servings and MFP calculates the total calories and other macros per serving for you.
  • Ronnie715
    Options
    OP, there is a recipe builder that you can use to add in recipes that you make. This makes it a lot easier if you're making say a casserole or soup. You enter all the ingredients separately and enter the amount of servings and MFP calculates the total calories and other macros per serving for you.

Thank you. Where is this?
  • Ronnie715
    Options
    I have a question about MFP and figuring out the calories. When it asked you if you are sedentary, lightly active, etc... are they talking about work or your exercise lifestyle? I notice the amount of calories increase or decrease with the choice you pick and then also changes based on if you log in exercise. If I chose sedentary and log in 45 min of cardio a day, the calories will be different if I choose lightly active and log 45 min of cardio a day. Which way is right?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Eating Clean is important to lose weight. You have to think of it as your body needs fuel to work, food is that fuel you don't want cheap fast food going in. You can eat what you want, but as you lose weight you will see a 200 calorie donut isn't as filling as a heatlhy choice dinner that is 250 calories that fills you up. It's a journey and if you want a good one, you will start to make the right choices. I am just now starting mine, I have lost 15 pounds so far and I am earing clean and I've been working out. It is a life change not diet change.

People say this all the time, but it's complete nonsense. Your body has no idea if a burger or chicken sandwich or taco is "clean" or "unclean" or whatever.

Based on this logic, Type II diabetes would not exist and nor would many, many other illnesses that are a result of poor diet (including obesity). It is my experience (which is by no means, unique) that a diet based, for the most part, on healthy, natural foods has caused my body and brain to also become healthy. Yes the body does react differently to different foods; it's quite ridiculous to say that it doesn't imo.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Eating Clean is important to lose weight. You have to think of it as your body needs fuel to work, food is that fuel you don't want cheap fast food going in. You can eat what you want, but as you lose weight you will see a 200 calorie donut isn't as filling as a heatlhy choice dinner that is 250 calories that fills you up. It's a journey and if you want a good one, you will start to make the right choices. I am just now starting mine, I have lost 15 pounds so far and I am earing clean and I've been working out. It is a life change not diet change.

People say this all the time, but it's complete nonsense. Your body has no idea if a burger or chicken sandwich or taco is "clean" or "unclean" or whatever.

Based on this logic, Type II diabetes would not exist and nor would many, many other illnesses that are a result of poor diet (including obesity). It is my experience (which is by no means, unique) that a diet based, for the most part, on healthy, natural foods has caused my body and brain to also become healthy. Yes the body does react differently to different foods; it's quite ridiculous to say that it doesn't imo.

Diabetes is rare among people who have a healthy BMI and exercise regularly.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I want to expand on my previous answer a bit. As I said, adult onset diabetes is rare among people who exercise regularly and have a healthy BMI:

bmi_diabetes.jpg

Now, that said, I'm sure you could establish a correlation between "healthy foods" and diabetes risk. This would be misleading, though, because most people who exercise and actively maintain a healthy weight also eat "healthy foods," whatever that actually means.

However, I find it unlikely you'd find any significant difference in diabetes risk between people who eat "health food" and "junk food" of equal macronutrient content among who exercise regularly and actively maintain a healthy BMI.

Yes, that is a highly specific correlation you'd have to find, but it's the claim you're making. You're literally saying that your diabetes risk would be lower with a "healthy" diet of equal macronutrient content. I think that's untrue and have yet to see any evidence whatsoever of that.

In fact, I've seen nothing but evidence that points the opposite way. Overweight people who begin exercising and lose weight generally show similar health marker trends when they lose weight. Look at the Twinkie Diet guy for instance. I'm over 50 pounds lighter than I was at my maximum size, and I did it by eating tons of fast food and frozen food, but paying super careful attention to my macronutrient and calorie intake. During that time, my LDL and triglyceride levels went down and my HDL went up and have stayed there.

I think the "healthy food" versus "fast food" thing is extremely overrated, especially when you consider the fact that fast food has similar or identical nutrient content compared to similar items made at home (sandwiches with veggies, grilled chicken, etc).

The absolute most important things are calorie control, macronutrient control, and - above all else - sustainability. People who got fat eating a lot of fast food or frozen pizzas or whatever did so because they love those foods. I sure do. Why deny them when I can enjoy them and still hit my calorie, macronutrient, and micronutrient goals every single day? There's no reason in the world to.

Look at how many people try to lose weight and ultimately fail because they go back to their former ways. It's unbelievable. If we can start to accept the idea that they can continue to enjoy the things they've always enjoyed, but to do so in healthier ways by fitting those foods into a calorie/macro matrix, and also teach them to mix in more nutritious foods, then I believe that's what we should do.

Those who, for whatever reason, want to continue in the "healthy" vein and eat more natural and whole foods or whatever absolutely can and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But, in my opinion, we have to stop perpetuating this stuff that cutting out "fast" and "processed" food is automatically better for your health.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Use what MFP tells you. Eat back your exercise calories, like MFP tells you.

While doing that, take time to learn about BMR, TDEE, etc, do some math. For many of us, there isn't much difference between the different methods.

For me: MFP + exercise = ~1600
    TDEE - 20% = ~ 1700

A hundred calories here or there is not going to cause me to starve. It won't have much of an effect on my weight loss, either. I consider it to be well within the margin of error and I find it easier to use MFP as designed.

this!!!!
  • tuckervc
    tuckervc Posts: 30
    Options
    You can find the recipe maker under the food tab. I use it often since I enjoy cooking from scratch and would have no idea of how to estimate calories on some things my family enjoys. And I weight/measure everything. You can get a good digital scale pretty cheap and it is worth the money.
  • Ronnie715
    Ronnie715 Posts: 29
    Options
    Ok so today I started using MFP and ran into some trouble starting with breakfast LOL. I had:
    -2 egg veggie omelet (peas, green beans, peppers, and onions) NO CHEESE on whole wheat toast fresh from bakery
    -Small oatmeal (rolled oats) with milk and sugar
    -20oz coffee with half and half no sugar

I had a hard time trying to figure out and find which entries to use because where are so many that come up. Any advise on this?
    Should I be paying attention to the macro's or just focus on the total calories for the day for now?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Ok so today I started using MFP and ran into some trouble starting with breakfast LOL. I had:
    -2 egg veggie omelet (peas, green beans, peppers, and onions) NO CHEESE on whole wheat toast fresh from bakery

I had a hard time trying to figure out and find which entries to use because where are so many that come up. Any advise on this?
    Should I be paying attention to the macro's or just focus on the total calories for the day for now?

Use the info on the package. If there is no package, use the USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

It can be time consuming at first, but ideally, for the omelet you'd enter each ingredient separately, preferably with items on the search result that DON'T have an asterix (*) next to them. Then if you make that same omelet again later, you can save it as a meal to reuse, or just copy it to a new date. After a couple weeks, YOUR most commonly used foods are easier to find on your list.
  • Ronnie715
    Options

It can be time consuming at first, but ideally, for the omelet you'd enter each ingredient separately, preferably with items on the search result that DON'T have an asterix (*) next to them. Then if you make that same omelet again later, you can save it as a meal to reuse, or just copy it to a new date. After a couple weeks, YOUR most commonly used foods are easier to find on your list.
    What does the asterisk next to the foods mean?
  • Ronnie715
    Options

Use the info on the package. If there is no package, use the USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Thank you for this