What am I doing wrong?

Options
I''ve had a tough weight loss journey and I feel like I've barely gotten anywhere and I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is and I'm desperate for some guidance. I'm 120 5'8, started off around 130 and I've been trying to lose the last 5 pounds, but I've been stuck at the same weight literally for almost 3 months. What gives? I started off in a very bad way, I was eating around 700-900 calories, plus exercise. I did this for about 4-5 weeks and then realized how horrible it was. Since then I've gradually brought my calories up starting from 1200 to around 1700, while maintaining 1 hr of exercise 6 times a week. I did this for about two months and was still losing no weight whatsoever. My main goal is to tone up some as right now I have virtually no muscle, as well as getting down to 115. Recently I stepped up my exercise to 2-2 1/2 hours 6x a week. This consists of strength training 4x a week as well as cardio, and then just cardio the other two days. I also boosted my calories to around 1800-1850. It's been 3 1/2 weeks and I still have not lost any weight, in fact I think I might of gained a pound or two. I eat incredibly healthy and only have one cheat meal a week, so I honestly cannot comprehend how I have been stuck at 120 for three months. I'm so incredibly frustrated, I just feel like breaking down and pulling out all my hair. Can someone give me some feedback? And please do not tell me I don't need to lose weight, I'm trying to do this the healthy way, but nothing is working.

Replies

• Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would think that 120lbs @ 5'8" is just fine (maybe even on the too-thin side). That may be why you aren't losing any more, perhaps your body is happy where it's at?? Why do you feel you need to lose 5 more?
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I very much doubt at that weight and height your body will be willing to lose much. I do not know your body fat though so couldn't say a lot more....If I was you I would concentrate on weight training and eating at your TDEE. I think it's probably adding muscle and losing fat that will make you happier than losing scale weight. Move away from the scale mindset.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight (which is well under the healthy recommended amount, I know you don't want to hear it but it's a fact), you would probably see more success by bulking first then cutting.

By bulking I mean just eating at or above maintenance calories (by a small amount) while lifting weights. That would increase your lean body mass (muscle). After several months, you cut calories to get back down to your ideal body fat. At that point, you would have more muscle and probably find that what your body looks like is more of what you want. (Also your BMR would be higher because of the additional muscle and it will probably be easier to lose the weight anyway).

Just my opinion.
  • lonelylolita
    Options
    I just want to lose the last five pounds and would prefer to be 115. When I used the equation to figure out how many calories I should be consuming, I got 1946, which seems WAY too much. I really thought I was doing everything right, but I've realized I have no clue. I'm just so lost, I never would of thought losing 5 pounds could be this difficult.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight, you are already under weight. Losing an additional 5 pounds is going to be very hard and probably not going to give you the results you want. I second the posters who suggest start lifting more and stop trying to lose. Work on eating at maintenance at the very minimum and do some lifting. You may notice that you start "toning" up and see more results than simply losing 5 lbs would give you.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You added another hour and a half to your workouts a day and only increased your calories by 150.. I think in that extra hour your burning more than 150 calories.. With only 5 lbs to lose you need to really be there with your calories.. Try eating more protein items as well.. 40/40/20 mix type thing (pro/carb/fat).

You also need to give your body a bit more time to adjust to extra food and more exercise. You might have to do a bulk then cut cycle to lower your BF% at your weight/height by now...
  • lonelylolita
    Options
    I have increased my calories, to about 1900. My TDEE is 2432, which seems like an absolutely absurd high amount. In the last week I've gone from 1800, then 1850, then 1900, and I've been feeling so incredibly bloated, and even though my scale is most likely messed up and inaccurate (when its at rest, it says 3 pounds) I really feel like I've gained some weight from raising my calories. So if I raised it as your suggesting, wouldn't I gain even more? I'm so confused with all this.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I just want to lose the last five pounds and would prefer to be 115. When I used the equation to figure out how many calories I should be consuming, I got 1946, which seems WAY too much. I really thought I was doing everything right, but I've realized I have no clue. I'm just so lost, I never would of thought losing 5 pounds could be this difficult.
    Why do you want to be 115 lbs though? You're already underweight. It's no wonder your body doesn't want to lose any more.
  • lonelylolita
    Options
    What exactly is a bulk/cut style? Wouldnt I gain weight if I raised my calories to such a high amount such as 2400?
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a bulk/cut style? Wouldnt I gain weight if I raised my calories to such a high amount such as 2400?
    If your TDEE is 2400, that is your amount to maintain.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

The idea of a bulk/cut cycle is that you need to be at a calorie surplus to gain muscle mass. So, you would eat slightly above your maintenance and lift weights to build muscle. Yes, you will gain a little weight doing this, but that is where the "cut" part of the cycle comes in (you go back to eating at a calorie deficit to lose any fat you put on while bulking).
  • amyncrook
    Options
    I am 5'8" and trying to get to 160. I can't even imagine 115. I think you are not losing weight because you are already below your recommended BMI. If you want to build muscle, then lift weights and eat healthy. I am sure it is frustrating to not be losing, but your body will go into holding mode if you don't need to loose anymore!
  • lonelylolita
    Options

But I've raised it to 1900, and am feeling extremely bloated and am pretty sure I have gained. Is this just temporary? I don't understand how 2400 wouldn't be way too much.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options
    I have increased my calories, to about 1900. My TDEE is 2432, which seems like an absolutely absurd high amount. In the last week I've gone from 1800, then 1850, then 1900, and I've been feeling so incredibly bloated, and even though my scale is most likely messed up and inaccurate (when its at rest, it says 3 pounds) I really feel like I've gained some weight from raising my calories. So if I raised it as your suggesting, wouldn't I gain even more? I'm so confused with all this.

If you go above TDEE you will gain. The idea is to make the weight that you gain as much muscle as possible (by lifting weights) then after several months of this, you cut back again to lose any extra fat and give you the toned look you want. If you only eat slightly above your TDEE you should gain a minimal amount of weight. Shoot for something like 100 calories per day above TDEE (and eat a lot of protein) which would mean you would gain less than a pound a month. I believe muscle gains are usually around 1/2 lb per month so that would only be a couple pounds of fat over about 4 months. Initially, your body will retain more water as it repairs muscle which will artificially inflate your weight. The standard advice for gaining muscle is to not even look at a scale for 4-6 weeks (which would give you time to get a new one :) ) while the water weight/muscle repair works itself out.

Like I said before, I think that if you do this, you will get the look you are shooting for with much less struggle.
  • amandafelts
    Options
    Oh my....my scales do that too. They say 3 pounds after I step off of them sometimes. I normally chalk my weight up to 3 pounds less & go eat a doughnut. HA!

Seriously.......probably not the popular answer but....have you tried a cleanse?
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale. If you want to tone - lift weights and focus on strength training.

Friend people like this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752778-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics

People like LorinaLynn make it EXTREMELY OBVIOUS why you don't want to just be a number on a scale.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options

But I've raised it to 1900, and am feeling extremely bloated and am pretty sure I have gained. Is this just temporary? I don't understand how 2400 wouldn't be way too much.

It might be. The online calculators can be off by quite a bit. Maybe try just sticking with 1900 or 2000 for several weeks to see what is actually happening.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

At your current 5'8", 120lb you are already underweight according to your BMI!! You had a tough weight loss because you started at 130, which is the low range of normal for your height and wanted to go under the normal range. Your body is fighting you.
  • MyBodyMyMachine
    Options
    Ditch the scale. If you want to tone - lift weights and focus on strength training.

Friend people like this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752778-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics

People like LorinaLynn make it EXTREMELY OBVIOUS why you don't want to just be a number on a scale.

Agreed. At your height / weight, the number should be irrelevant. Strength train, fuel your body, and throw in some HIIT cardio. Maybe add a program like P90x or something to put lean muscle on. But don't define your success by something a box that you stand on tells you.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You really need to just throw out your whole plan. I'm sorry. I really am.

I don't know for sure, but I think you might be whats known as skinny fat. If your that light, no muscle mass.

I'm going to recommend you stop right now and reset.

Goal, your goal is 120 pounds, congrats, you already won the first step.

your new goal is to put on lean muscle mass. So your going to have to shop around the groups for the new rules of lifting.

Now that your going to be awesome, you have to eat awesome. Go find eat, train, progress group. Because your a winner now, go ask what you need to eat there. I'm guessing is way over 1200, because you need to get toned, so you need lean muscle mass, and the only way to get that is to eat at a surplus.

Congrats on your weight loss goals, good luck getting even more awesome!!! ::flowerforyou: