Ugh Plateau. HELP (Thyroid&PCOS)

Options
Hey - just for some background:

HW: 245
CW: 204
GW: 160

I take 90mgs of Armour Thyroid a day. and I take 500mg of Metformin for PCOS.

I put that in the subject because i know people with Thyroid and PCOS have a doubly hard time losing.

I've lost a bunch of weight over a very long time and now I am exercising and dieting even more strictly than before since my loss slowed to a trickle around 220 and then I got back down to 204.
I simply cannot get below 204. No matter what I do. I'm losing my MIND!

I've been considering upping my thyroid level to 105mg since I've honestly never felt any different with or without the 90mgs.

I'm getting very discouraged and I'm starting to lose my nerve and have been eating crappier than I'd normally allow myself to.

Any tips or tricks to get this back on track?!

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor test your free T3 and free T4? What were your last levels? (I'm assuming he/she does because they were open to putting you on Armour)

How strict is your diet? Can you open your diary for us to see? I'm wondering if you actually need to up your caloric intake.
  • lithiumlime
    Options
    I actually had a really bad Endo - very inattentive and lazy. So I'm trying to find a new one to get those levels checked!

Also sure - I try to log as much as possible - I'll try and unlock it!
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also take 90 mg of armor thyroid a day.

I have not had my levels checked in about 5 - 6 months. I am due to go back soon.

I do not know what those 3 readings mean.

If my levels are good, should I have a hard time losing weight?
  • amyncrook
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed last year and have spent that year fighting with levels of medication and weight roller coaster. My advice to you is to find a Doctor that will LISTEN to you. You know your body better than anyone else. If you feel tired and are gaining weight or not losing when you normally would, then your levels are probably off. My doctor I found adjusted my meds to make me closer to hyperthyroid instead of all the way down closer to hypo. My levels now are on the higher side of normal, but still within normal limits. I have now lost 7 pounds when before they adjusted my levels, I was gaining almost a pound a week! Not all doctors are created equal. Find someone and tell them about all the issues and then if they don't listen, find someone else. I tried several endocrinologist, internal medicine doctors and then just found a family doctor who listened! It is really hard to stay motivated when nothing you do is working because of thyroid issues. Good luck to you!
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I actually had a really bad Endo - very inattentive and lazy. So I'm trying to find a new one to get those levels checked!

Also sure - I try to log as much as possible - I'll try and unlock it!

That is sadly really common in endos. :( Does your state allow naturopaths to prescribe meds?

Ok, first and foremost though - you need to eat more. It looks like you're netting 700-800 calories daily; you need to be netting at least 1200. I'm talking 1200 minimum, and then also eating back any exercise calories. That 1200+ exercise calories has ALREADY factored in a 1-2 lb weight loss weekly!

Weight loss also slows down as you go, and you're at the point where you should be switching to a 1lb/week target soon (at at least to a 1.5 lb target weekly).

Simplified: you are dieting WAY too strictly. Eat! Eat to lose!
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I also take 90 mg of armor thyroid a day.

I have not had my levels checked in about 5 - 6 months. I am due to go back soon.

I do not know what those 3 readings mean.

If my levels are good, should I have a hard time losing weight?

If your levels are optimal (and not just "within normal range") then you'll be in the same position as anyone else trying to lose. i.e. proper eating (you need to eat MORE) and exercise will result in weight loss.

You need to adjust your goals though, for the weight you've already lost! Do you know about BMR? TDEE?
  • lithiumlime
    Options
    That is sadly really common in endos. :( Does your state allow naturopaths to prescribe meds?

Ok, first and foremost though - you need to eat more. It looks like you're netting 700-800 calories daily; you need to be netting at least 1200. I'm talking 1200 minimum, and then also eating back any exercise calories. That 1200+ exercise calories has ALREADY factored in a 1-2 lb weight loss weekly!

Weight loss also slows down as you go, and you're at the point where you should be switching to a 1lb/week target soon (at at least to a 1.5 lb target weekly).

Simplified: you are dieting WAY too strictly. Eat! Eat to lose!

I'm actually eating 1200 if not more - I'm not the best when it comes to documentation. I AM eating them though - even if I don't. Lately I'm sure I'm eating more around 1400 because I just feel so hopeless. :c thank you for your insight though!

Also I initially saw a natropath who honestly was just as lazy. I've had energy and weight problems my whole life and I feel very much like nobody cares but me!