Shower Temp after a Workout

Options
PRMinx
PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
Hey everyone. I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me out.

I just started CrossFit (two weeks in, 6 sessions total) and I'm so sore. I'm sore in a good way I think, but I hurt in places I didn't even know could hurt.

Today at the gym I heard two opposing theories about shower temperature. One guy said that if I take a hot shower Ill feel better and then another said that if you take a hot shower after working out you will increase your soreness. He suggested I take a cold shower.

Anyone know the right approach?

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Take a shower at the temperature you prefer, I don't think it matters in terms of post workout muscle soreness.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think it makes a difference. Enjoy your soreness, it means you "did work".
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I would think a cold shower would cause muscles to tense and a warm shower would help relax them. But, I'm not an expert. And I hate cold showers. I'm a burn your skin hot kind of shower taker, although if I've had a particularly hard workout and am still really hot and sweaty, even after cooling off a bit, I will take a cooler than normal shower. But, that's still hot! Go with what's comfortable for you.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The idea of jumping in a cold shower is just painful, that's why I was so surprised to hear that people are doing that after their workout. It doesn't help the our box is a warehouse with little heat and it's the middle of winter!
  • erinj16
    erinj16 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't do hot...maybe lukewarm.

heat brings more blood to muscles which keeps them inflamed; if you want to 'cool' your muscles down, use cold.
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you are not an elite-level athlete, don't worry about it. Stuff like this makes such a small difference that you don't need to complicate yourself with it.